Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Although not F1, Russell Phillips' fatal crash in 1995 takes some beating in the gore stakes. Grainy footage is available for MPFC's perusal on YouTube, but the camera-work doesn't do justice to the full horror of what unfolded.

Although not F1, Russell Phillips' fatal crash in 1995 takes some beating in the gore stakes. Grainy footage is available for MPFC's perusal on YouTube, but the camera-work doesn't do justice to the full horror of what unfolded.

Tom pryces crash Is the worst you can see on camera a guy cut in half flipping in the air with only the intestines keeping him together.

Tom pryces crash Is the worst you can see on camera a guy cut in half flipping in the air with only the intestines keeping him together.

I just saw the briefest of YouTube clips. Fuck, that was horrible, his body seemed to just disintegrate.

The way I look at it is that Jules is the first driver to die from injuries sustained during a Grand Prix race. Maria De Villota Died as a long term result of an injury she suffered during a straight line speed test which was not linked to a Grand Prix weekend in any way, so I don't really count that.

What about the three marshalls who died in Monza '00, Melbourne '01 and Montreal '13 (must be something with the letter M...). Would Graham Hill be counted because he died in a plane crash after he retired? I suppose Colin McRae could also be a point of interest, he hadn't (officially) retired by the time he died.

I am absolutely gutted about Bianchi, but as an F1 fanatic and only being 23, I was too young to know who Senna was and what he did at the time so for me, to see a driver to lose his life after taking part in the sport I love is pretty heartbreaking. The current safety levels are exceptional, I will never fall out of love with the sport because we've lost a talented driver because I know that every time those guys get into their cars there is always a chance they will never get out of them alive again and that is why I respect them so much (apart from Vettel, because he's a w***er).

Hmm, with regard to the above, Graham Hill is totally on the margins. Plane crash coming back from an F1 test with one of the drivers for his team on board. F1 related for sure, but nowhere near a track.

If de Villota doesn't count, why do some people count the likes of Elio de Angelis? Again, that's a tough call. Testing an F1 car is part of F1, right?

If we count marhsalls, then maybe we should count spectators.

Let's keep debating this because each post is a shameless excuse to post links to YouTube horrors as we research the topic. All of which will teach a 23 year old that the sport s/he thinks of as a kind of corporate entertainment used to be more like watching a WW2 dogfight.

Graham Hill doesn't count in terms of direct F1-related deaths. He died in a plane crash. True, he was returning with the rest of his team from a test but that's no different to suggesting that Sir Frank Williams' paralysis is F1-related as he was in a car accident returning from a test. The cause of his injuries was a car crash, just as a car crash killed Mike Hawthorn after he retired from racing (one of motor racing's great ironies). Likewise, Colin McRae was only killed in a helicopter crash, not at all motor-related as far as I know (wasn't he just travelling home with some friends?) The fact he was a serving rally driver at the time doesn't mean his death is automatically rally-related.

Maria de Villota is a slightly different issue, but a complicated one. She was killed from a heart attack but since healthy 33 year old women don't often drop dead of heart attacks, it is believed it's underlying cause was related to the injuries she suffered in her crash. As for her crash, it was at the end of a testing session, so it's not as though she was on a hot lap and crashed or the car broke or something. It was a freak accident when essentially the danger was supposed to be over. That said, I guess if she'd died at the time it would still be classed as a testing crash so maybe she should count.

As for marshalls and fans, I think they should count if they were killed in race incidents. A separate list from drivers themselves maybe, but they should still count, like in the horrendous Pierre Levegh crash at Le Mans in 1955, which is still why Switzerland bans all motor racing in the country.

Regarding deaths, I would heartily agree with MorbidKid that Tom Pryce's crash is stomach churningly sickening. In addition to the marshall being pulverised on impact, the fire extinguisher he was holding virtually decapitated Pryce in the process. Just...it makes you shudder even to think about it.

Gilles Villeneuve's was pretty horrific. I'm not old enough to have seen it when it happened but I've seen the footage since. If you watch it closely, you see his body ripped from the car and thrown down the road (22 secs in). No way he was surviving that.

On a somewhat unrelated note (it's not gory, just vaguely interesting), 1967 World Champion Denny Hulme died of a heart attack...while participating in a sportscar race at Bathurst in Australia. Somehow, this did not mean a huge crash (Bathurst has both long, fast straights and tight, twisty sections) but it seems he was alive long enough to slam the brakes on and avoid serious incident. Still, a fairly noteworthy way to go I think you'll agree...

Annoying post

Erm, can't you please refrain from mentioning gruesome stuff like that without spoiler tags and a warning? I've seen that video many times, it doesn't mean I wanna be reminded of its contents while I'm trying to eat a sandwich or whatever.

Can a mod like plz delete that and/or give him warning points.........

I watch crashes for the races.

Annoying post

Erm, can't you please refrain from mentioning gruesome stuff like that without spoiler tags and a warning? I've seen that video many times, it doesn't mean I wanna be reminded of its contents while I'm trying to eat a sandwich or whatever.

is this the user who complains of oversensitity when mocking a users family members death that is now disgusted by word on text.

Annoying post

is this the user who complains of oversensitity when mocking a users family members death that is now disgusted by word on text.

Hmmm

Yes, and I too am totally appalled. Surely DL protocol dictates Zorders should say: "eating a sandwich, or summat"

It was a black weekend at the Laguna Seca circuit. Two motor cyclists died in a support race for the World Championship Superbike.

Statement from MotoAmerica at Laguna Seca

A chain-reaction, multi-bike incident on the first lap of today's second MotoAmerica Superbike/Superstock 1000 race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca has resulted in the deaths of two competitors.

Bernat Martinez, of Alberic, Valencia, Spain, was transported from the raceway by ambulance to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula (CHOMP) in Monterey, where he succumbed to his injuries. He was 35.

Daniel Rivas Fernandez, of Moana Galicia, Spain, was transported by REACH Medical Air Services to Natividad Medical Center in Salinas, where he also succumbed to injuries. He was 27.

"I really don't have any words to describe what we all feel," said MotoAmerica president Wayne Rainey. "First and foremost, is the loss to the families and loved ones. Our sincere condolences goes out to each and every one of them as well as the MotoAmerica family. They are in our thoughts and prayers."

"We are deeply saddened to learn the news of the passing of Bernat Martinez and Daniel Rivas," said Gill Campbell, CEO and general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. "Our prayers and hearts go out to their families and teams."

Former McLaren team doctor and a mentor of Lewis Hamilton, Aki Hintsa, is suffering from abdominal cancer.

• Like 1

Former McLaren team doctor and a mentor of Lewis Hamilton, Aki Hintsa, is suffering from abdominal cancer.

That reminds me... maybe the Estland thread should become a Finno-Ugric thread, so that Finns and Hungarians can go in there as well.

That reminds me... maybe the Estland thread should become a Finno-Ugric thread, so that Finns and Hungarians can go in there as well.

no

• Like 1

Oldest Formula One driver Robert La Caze died at the beginning of July at the age of 98 according to the online drivers database:

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/robert-la-caze/

I guess we won't be holding out for a UK obit. Luckily nobody picked him on DDP.

Anybody know who the oldest F1 driver is now?

Andre Guelfi, 96, seems to be a safe bet. Eric Thompson, 95, maybe the second? Perhaps they're the only drivers from the 1910s still breathing?

Oldest Formula One driver Robert La Caze died at the beginning of July at the age of 98 according to the online drivers database:

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/robert-la-caze/

I guess we won't be holding out for a UK obit. Luckily nobody picked him on DDP.

Anybody know who the oldest F1 driver is now?

Andre Guelfi, 96, seems to be a safe bet. Eric Thompson, 95, maybe the second? Perhaps they're the only drivers from the 1910s still breathing?

He entered ONE GDAMN RACE? Maybe there is a 104 yr old somewhere who 'once turned a key' to start the car.

SC

Guest a

Tony Adamowicz has advanced brain cancer

Jaime Alguersuari unable to drive due to mystery illness.

Not good for drivers beginning with A

Well done and amusing quip from Guesty. A link woulda been nice but a B all around score.

SC

Chris Amon is healthy and pensionable, living in New Zealand

Guy Martin tries his best at the worlds fastest road race. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/guy-martin-crash-horrifying-video-footage-emerges-of-highspeed-superbike-crash-10445509.html They only just removed the large ditch and hedge this year!

F1:

Carlo Abate b 1932

Peter Ashdown b 1934

Gerry Ashmore b 1936

Mario de Araujo Cabral b 1934

SC

F1:

Carlo Abate b 1932

Peter Ashdown b 1934

Gerry Ashmore b 1936

Mario de Araujo Cabral b 1934

SC

All of which is probably cheering Fernando Alonso up during a pitiful season.

Guest a

Ashdown and Cabral are poorly too

No link for Ashdown, info on Cabral is on oldracingcars, Adamowiczs info on his website, Alguersuari is on auto sport.com

All this talk about F1 racers and no one mentioned that Peter de Klerk died on July 11. I came across another one that died first week of July but now I can't find it.

SC

Well, SC, he was sud africana.

No cunt likes/acknowledges them.