Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Surtees - pole position for Last Word 17 March, then

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 21:48, Octopus of Odstock said:

As you know I don't frequent here very often anymore but as I saw this thread pop up on Google after Guelfi's death and subsequent comments, I thought it only fair to post an update.

*snip*

Surtees John GB 11-Feb-34 Still driving at events, suspect he's okay for a few years

Nup.

I did see something a few months back saying he wasn't in the best of shape and couldn't attend a dining event... completely failed to use this knowledge for any deadpool, though.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2006 at 22:47, Octopus of Odstock said:

Other drivers who are in varying forms of ill-health that I can tell you about after a little search;-

Ian Stewart :D (Friend of mine - I hate to see him poorly)

Sam Posey

Eddie Russo

Lloyd Ruby

John Paul Jr

Graham McRae

*snip*

Is that this Ian Stewart who has died aged 88? http://www.brdc.co.uk/Notice-of-Death---Ian-Stewart-1929---2017

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stewart_(racing_driver)

33 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, but OoO was worried about his health ten and a half years ago - fair play to Ian Stewart for hanging on that long

Saw this lady on television last night in a news report about Billy Monger planning a comeback to motorsport despite losing the lower half of both legs in his last outing. Respect to the only tetraplegic female racing driver on earth; and she's British: https://nathaliemcgloinracing.com/

John Andretti's chances of a Q/O in the more British based dead pools anyone?

Just Googled his career stats - one indycar victory, best champtionship finish in that discipline = 7th

Mere virtue of being an Andretti should get him some Mail coverage at least.

As likely as a Sasha Lakovic. Grumble, grumble.

Andretti should get an obit. Id say 65 per cent chance was very successful in NASCAR and the family name will help. Hes more famous than Adamowicz was. 

P.S. Joe Leonard,  former Indianapolis 500 driver and former national champion died Thursday. 

PPS There is a former racing designer and team owner who is in a very bad way at the moment. He will obit but I'm not allowed to say who it is on case it's found on Google.  All I can say is if he died in March,  that would be ironic. those of you who like racing will have Herd of him. 

• Like 1

I can't believe there's discussion whether John Andretti would obit.
If the only car the dude ever drove was a TAXI, he'd still obit.  He's Mario Andretti's son for fuxsake.

But seriously...

SC

18 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I can't believe there's discussion whether John Andretti would obit.
If the only car the dude ever drove was a TAXI, he'd still obit.  He's Mario Andretti's son for fuxsake.

But seriously...

SC

Nephew, actually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

2006 MotoGP champ Nicky Hayden apparently in critical condition following an accident in Italy. 

Really hope he pulls through this, he's a great rider and real character. He's currently riding in the World Superbike Championship which has its UK round at Donington next weekend, where I'll be sat in the rain watching, it will be a shame not to see Nicky there this year.