Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Manxman Dan Kneen killed at the TT tonight, did his fastest ever lap (132 mph) last night.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

Manxman Dan Kneen killed at the TT tonight, did his fastest ever lap (132 mph) last night.

RIP , my thoughts and prayers are with family and friends at this sad time.

Motorsports is one area I haven't a clue about QO chances. I did pick Villeneuve Sr and his "terminal cancer" (read - still alive) in 2015, but it turned out later that, while I thought I knew who he was, I was actually mistaking him for someone else. (I forget who.)

I have him down as an obit cert. The fact that the Daily Mail had a few articles on his original cancer battle along with huge status of his family name makes me have no doubt on his obit...

He isario Andrettis nephew who followed in the family trade and had a notable if underwhelming career and has become a cancer .Combine the three and he is obit gold for tabloids in the UK.Reminds me of Smith Hart.Cancer stricken relatives of legends in their field who were in the same field themselves who publicise their cancer are very very obitable.

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Shaping up for an average year over there, then

Guardian and Observer both did serious articles on the stars of the whole shebang, their somewhat differing personalities and the levels of danger in road racing

Michael Dunlop and Ian Hutchinson are likely worth considering as DDP fodder next year - neither of them 40 years old by then; in fact Dunlop is only 29

Oh aye and...let's not forget the upside of these incurable hard men

Guy Martin had a TT moment too: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2010/june/jun1110-major-incident-at-tt/

Broken bones and lung damage that time - it all helps shift books and DVDs in the long run

52 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye and...let's not forget the upside of these incurable hard men

Guy Martin had a TT moment too: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2010/june/jun1110-major-incident-at-tt/

Broken bones and lung damage that time - it all helps shift books and DVDs in the long run

These riders have balls of steel but also definitely a small part of their brain missing! It’s absolutely riveting viewing.  It never fails to astound me how it is still allowed.

10 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

These riders have balls of steel but also definitely a small part of their brain missing! It’s absolutely riveting viewing.  It never fails to astound me how it is still allowed.

So - as someone riveted - is there any degree of accident that would change your mind on a long term basis and am I right in assuming many of the spectators are long term cases who've been tuning in or turning up for years? 

Looking at some of those courses it strikes me the potential for a catastrophic accident whereby someone loses control in the early stages with the field bunched and takes most of them out on a corner by way of an accident they can't avoid is fairly obvious. At which point I wonder if the medical support would be enough to cope. 

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Looking at some of those courses it strikes me the potential for a catastrophic accident whereby someone loses control in the early stages with the field bunched and takes most of them out on a corner by way of an accident they can't avoid is fairly obvious. At which point I wonder if the medical support would be enough to cope. 

The TT races are all time trials, with racers setting off individually at 10 seconds intervals, and hence starting accidents aren't a problem.

1 hour ago, JQW said:

The TT races are all time trials, with racers setting off individually at 10 seconds intervals, and hence starting accidents aren't a problem.

Yeah but...

That isn't the case for the likes of the North West 200, right? 

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah but...

That isn't the case for the likes of the North West 200, right? 

The NW200 splits the field into three or four 'waves' who start at intervals. Not sure what happens at the Ulster Grand Prix or at Oliver's Mount.

3 minutes ago, JQW said:

The NW200 splits the field into three or four 'waves' who start at intervals. Not sure what happens at the Ulster Grand Prix or at Oliver's Mount.

Waves - hmmm

Well, either way there's a YouTube stomach churner for those capable of withstanding it featuring the death of Simon Andrews who came off his bike, slid down the tarmac and collided head first with the nearby kerb. 

Not something Valentino Rossi fears

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So - as someone riveted - is there any degree of accident that would change your mind on a long term basis and am I right in assuming many of the spectators are long term cases who've been tuning in or turning up for years? 

I have never seen an actual death, although I was at Thruxton last summer when a rider was killed out of our eyeline. If I know there’s been a fatality on televised races I don’t watch the accident, I’m not a ghoul :D but I’ll admit to watching horrific crashes if I know the rider survived. I can’t say how I’d feel if I saw a fatal ‘in the flesh’. I hope I never do. 

My opinion is that there is potential for a catastrophic accident at any point of the road race, because of the speed (obvs) and proximity of brick walls, houses, road signs and spectators.  Of course, a lot of the thrill of watching is to see someone flying through the air at speed, but it’s also a thrill to watch the lightning reactions, precision and skill of the riders. I have no idea re medical resources but I would imagine they must have some sort of contingency plan for multiple injuries in view of the spectating arrangements and potential for large machines to fly through the air into the crowd.

You’re right in saying that Rossi does not have the fear of sliding his head into a kerb, and there are far less racetrack deaths than road racing each year, but the danger is still there - I can think of three since I’ve been watching where riders have fallen and then been struck in the head and killed by other riders unable to avoid them. 

On 11/06/2018 at 22:17, alt obits guy said:

Teenage rider Andreas Perez has died in an accident during the fourth round of the Moto3 Junior World Championship in Spain.  He was 14.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/44439851

I was going to post this one but then thought better of it, because he was 14 for fucksake.

29 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I was going to post this one but then thought better of it, because he was 14 for fucksake.

The only determining factor for me on whether to post is fame.  If the individual was well enough known, regardless of age, I have no issues posting it.  In this case, he received a BBC obituary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Ok i don't really don't understand the thought process here. I get that this guy was only a kid but what is wrong with posting news of his death? Not posting the news won't change the fact that it happened. There was still postings about charlie gard and he wasn't even a toddler. I just really don't understand what the issue is here.

No issue MK, none at all.

16 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

American professional stock car racing team owner Jeff Green has died in a racing accident.  He was 55.

http://www.1470wmbd.com/green-chevrolet-owner-killed-in-racing-accident/

That's a different Jeff Green (61 years old in obit) than NASCAR's Jeff Green (55 years old you attributed to the deceased in the obit).  You scared the shit outta me for a second there.
SC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Green_(racing_driver)

49 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That's a different Jeff Green (61 years old in obit) than NASCAR's Jeff Green (55 years old you attributed to the deceased in the obit).  You scared the shit outta me for a second there.
SC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Green_(racing_driver)

That's partly my bad and partly the fault of the stories written about him.  When I first posted the info, I definitely read the age of the deceased as '55' and cross-referenced it to the Wikipedia page.  Even here, for example, we have a Facebook post from the Toronto Star that appears to have corrected some of the original info, but not all of it.  Notice the story indicates he's 61 but the caption under the picture says he's 55.  A genuine curio considering the name is the same and so is the occupation.    

• Like 1