Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Canadian rookie Robert Wickens was in hospital with "orthopaedic injuries" after a frightening airborne crash in the early stages of the IndyCar Pocono race won by ex-Formula One racer Alexander Rossi.

Wickens, of Guelph, Ontario, was rushed to hospital by air ambulance on Sunday after he collided with Ryan Hunter-Reay's IndyCar at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pennsylvania.  The collision came as they exited turn two and caused Hunter-Reay's car to careen into the wall, and Wickens' car was pulled along with it. 
Video here.
SC

Former Manx Grand Prix winner Alan "Bud" Jackson killed yesterday at the Clasic TT.

6 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

Former Manx Grand Prix winner Alan "Bud" Jackson killed yesterday at the Clasic TT.

Ironically,  the fact that TT racer Bruce Anstey has cancer and can't ride, will probably result in him living a lot longer.  What a deadly sport!

Oirish F1 racer Derek Daley's boy in trouble in the States,  over his dad calling a spade a spade 10 years afore Connor was born.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2018/08/24/eli-lilly-pulls-sponsorship-conor-daly-nascar-ride-road-america-racial-slur-derek-daly/1089166002/

636623527793272485-Indy20-kk-081.jpg?wid

An emotional Dale Coyne Racing IndyCar driver Conor Daly (17) is hugged by James Davison (33) as they both just made the field of 33 cars on qualification day for the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor

Speedway on Saturday, May 19, 2018.

Kerry Keating/for IndyStar

Conor Daly is paying for the sins of his father.

Conor’s father, Derek Daly, on Thursday admitted he had used a racial slur in a live radio interview in the early 1980s. Connor Daly was born in 1991.

On Friday, Lilly Diabetes pulled its sponsorship decals from Conor Daly’s No. 6 NASCAR ride, saying that it didn’t want the distraction from their cause.

Lilly's full statement, via NASCAR reporter Chris Knight: “Our sponsorship in Saturday’s race is intended to raise awareness of treatment options and resources for people living with diabetes. Unfortunately, the comments that surfaced this week by Derek Daly distract from this focus, so we have made the decision that Lilly Diabetes will no longer run the No. 6 at Road America this weekend.

"We remain committed to our mission of supporting people with diabetes.”

Around 8 p.m. Friday, Conor Daly tweeted: "The last 24hrs have been quite an unnecessarily difficult ride for my family. There is A LOT I want to say... but I’m still here and still racing. I appreciate the support from @roushfenway and ALL of you. @LillyDiabetes has been a big part of my career and Im very thankful. #6"

Dave Kallman of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel broke the news Friday evening on Twitter. Tony Kanaan tweeted a response at 6:22 p.m. " That is absurd."

Conor Daly has been caught up in the weeklong controversy over longtime Colts radio announcer Bob Lamey and race analyst Derek Daly both admitting to uttering a racial slur, the n-word.

Lamey used the word at the Colts Training Camp last week; and retired after being confronted by the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.

Derek Daly used the word more than 30 years ago in a live radio interview at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. WISH-TV reported late Wednesday that it had dismissed Daley as its freelance auto-racing analyst.

Lilly Diabetes had announced on May 11 that it would sponsor Connor Daly at the Indy 500 and the NASCAR Road America race, which is this weekend in Milwaukee. It will be Daly's NASCAR debut.

Conor Daly has Type I diabetes, and at the time, Lilly Diabetes' consumer brand sponsor Ashley Brewer said: “Currently, we are partnering with Conor … in the capacity to be a platform to educate and inspire fans with diabetes to take action to better manage their health.”

As part of the sponsorship, Daly was to be working with Lilly Diabetes on its Drive Down A1C initiative, which works to motivate fans with Type II diabetes to manage their health. Daly worked with Lilly Diabetes in 2016, but this was the first time they were sponsoring him.

It has been a tough year for Daly. After he competed in the reality TV show “The Amazing Race” with fellow driver Alexander Rossi — and had been eliminated — he learned that his place with A.J. Foyt Enterprises was also gone.

“When I got back from the show, the first call I made was to my manager,” Daly said. “The second call I made was to Larry (Foyt) and, well, yeah.”

Within 24 hours, Daly had been eliminated from “The Amazing Race” and lost the only job he’s ever wanted.

Lilly Diabetes sounds like a member of a 70s punk rock band.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Ironically,  the fact that TT racer Bruce Anstey has cancer and can't ride, will probably result in him living a lot longer.  What a deadly sport!

Not so sure about that, this is the 2nd time he's had cancer and having a lot harder time than before last I heard, plus if he pulls thru he has another 13 years of racing to match Bud at 62.

1 hour ago, One shot Paddy said:

Not so sure about that, this is the 2nd time he's had cancer and having a lot harder time than before last I heard, plus if he pulls thru he has another 13 years of racing to match Bud at 62.

Either way, one to watch.

Murray Walker, nailed on, Stirling Moss and Niki Lauda all be gone before the end of 2019

1 minute ago, Fun-e-ral said:

Murray Walker, nailed on, Stirling Moss and Niki Lauda all be gone before the end of 2019

Thank you for these wonderful never heard about before names that I’m sure will be of great use next year.

Murray Walker has well outlived the stats for broken hips in their 80's.

Take him off your lists.....

4 minutes ago, charon said:

Murray Walker has well outlived the stats for broken hips in their 80's.

Take him off your lists.....

He will die of a broken heart when Damon Hill forgets to invite him to his next birthday piss up 

11 hours ago, Fun-e-ral said:

He will die of a broken heart when Damon Hill forgets to invite him to his next birthday piss up 

Damon's not greatly given to massive piss ups - actually the nearest thing to a normal decent ordinary bloke you'll find amongst the surviving world champs - though honourable mention for Jody Scheckter - organic farmer in Hampshire.

Sprint car racer Greg Hodnett has died following an accident tonight at the BAPS Motor Speedway.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 21:56, Octopus of Odstock said:

Guy Edwards, father of Sean, who was killed in a crash last year, is in poor health. He has suffered a stroke (last year or so, before Sean's death) and now requires full-time care. Like Leo Kinnunen, who is in a similiar situation, he's no longer physically well, but mentally okay. Edwards is 71.

Dead: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139408/exf1-racer-guy-edwards-dies-aged-75

38 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

And now, no longer dead but alive: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139417/correction-guy-edwards

He is risen, hallelujah!

(Picking him for next year though now).

I had already long-listed him, just turned it to bold text

There's definitely now a large amount of candidates for a racing team on any DP;

Cancer: John Andretti, v. Rooyen 

Parkinsons: Tambay, Laffite, Posey and W Fittipaldi

General very poor health: Edwards, Lederle, Lauda, Moss, Schumacher, Pairetti, Herd, Jassaud

Dementia: H Hahne 

Drinks/drugs: Melo

Old: McAlpine, Rhodes, Marr, Ecclestone, M Walker, da Silva Ramos and so many more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There's definitely now a large amount of candidates for a racing team on any DP;

General very poor health: Edwards, Lederle, Lauda, Moss, Schumacher, Pairetti, Herd, Jassaud

Old: McAlpine, Rhodes, Marr, Ecclestone, M Walker, da Silva Ramos and so many more. 

Also^_^LiLo

image.png.fb09624892dc50180a447bb759d83e27.png

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Haven't seen you around so often - thanks for the update

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-45972639

Ron Easton, 102 and labelled "former racing driver" , critical after spending 3 nights on his roof after trying to fix his TV aerial it seems.

2 minutes ago, charon said:

Ron Easton, 102 and labelled "former racing driver" , critical after spending 3 nights on his roof after trying to fix his TV aerial it seems.

Clearly not learned the lesson given so ably by Rod Hull, who was 40 years younger as well.

• Like 2