Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

On 22/08/2022 at 17:33, Perhaps said:

Former NASCAR driver Ron Hutcherson (wiki) is apparently under hospice care, although I cannot find any other information besides this single tweet.

Ron Hutcherson dead at 79.

• Like 4

Sir Jackie Stewart was on Sky News earlier paying tribute to the Queen, as they were close friends and she'd often visit him and his family at their home.

83 and looking/sounding awful. Definitely one to consider for deadpools sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Sir Jackie Stewart was on Sky News earlier paying tribute to the Queen, as they were close friends and she'd often visit him and his family at their home.

83 and looking/sounding awful. Definitely one to consider for deadpools sooner rather than later.

Take it from me, he's fine, I'm in regular contact with him or his team. He's just tired from his busy schedule and it was also announced yesterday that his wife's dementia has now taken a downturn. JYS is deeply involved and rather than him wilting away after Lady Helen dies, I think he'll get some vigour back to fight more against dementia. I'm not sure he'll make 90 but I think he should be alright for about 5 years.

• Like 8

On 09/09/2022 at 19:23, Octopus of Odstock said:

Take it from me, he's fine, I'm in regular contact with him or his team. He's just tired from his busy schedule and it was also announced yesterday that his wife's dementia has now taken a downturn. JYS is deeply involved and rather than him wilting away after Lady Helen dies, I think he'll get some vigour back to fight more against dementia. I'm not sure he'll make 90 but I think he should be alright for about 5 years.

He was at both funerals today. Looked his age but not too bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He was at both funerals today. Looked his age but not too bad.

He had a professionalism and focus about him that put him ahead of his peers, I wouldn't be surprised if he was almost the last to go of the racers who were entered in his final season 1973, looking over the grid for the last race (which he pulled out of after his team mate died in practice), there are a smattering of survivors Brian Redman, Jochen Mass, Jody Sheckter...

I feel some speculation coming on over how many will be standing when JYS goes. 

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 15:35, drol said:

Carlos Pairetti hospitalised with pneumonia and kidney failure, but not too serious it seems.

Carlos Pairetti back in hospital and this time gravely ill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drol said:

If he survives this, he needs to be added on the immortals list. The article pretty much sums up his recent dire health.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, drol said:

Carlos Pairetti dead at 86.

• Like 5

On 26/07/2021 at 17:06, gcreptile said:

My unique DDP pick Phil Read, who made news with his COPD diagnosis last year and the "I'm preparing my funeral" story last month, now back in hospital with prostate cancer:

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/gp-legend-phil-read-announces-he-back-hospital-after-cancer-diagnosis

Phil Read crosses the finishing line reportedly: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Phil Read crosses the finishing line reportedly: 

Unique again for me, and if you dont want him, I take him!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Unique again for me, and if you dont want him, I take him!

Phil Read apparently died this morning according to statement from the family.

You'd think he'd obit generally, but it seems rare for motor cyclists.

TT races should get him there....^_^

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Phil Read apparently died this morning according to statement from the family.

You'd think he'd obit generally, but it seems rare for motor cyclists.

TT races should get him there....^_^

A successful unique DDP pick if he does obit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

A successful unique DDP pick if he does obit.

In the unlikely event he doesn't strike q/o gold almost immediately the BBC Sports Personality of the Year is your friend, they usually print a list of sports persons lost in a calendar year - Tom Belso duly delivered in that near enough 11 months after he died for me, sealing HPDP victory into the bargain. 

Doin' shite in the same competition this year, mind.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Best get it in before the current round of privacy intrusion law suits sees of the paper, eh?

• Like 1

22 year old Victor Steeman died on Tuesday following a crash in Sunday's World Super Sport 300 race in Portugal, his mother Flora van Limbeek died of a heart attack on Thursday aged 59.

Talk about a week to forget!!

• Sad 1

On 08/06/2022 at 11:57, YoungWillz said:

Olivier Lavorel has died: https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/isle-of-man-tt-sidecar-competitor-olivier-lavorel-has-died/

• Like 2

I'd be interested to know what more learned racing contributors thought about Ross Chastain's 'riding the wall' trick to gain several places in a NASCAR event.  Is it the sort of lunatic act that makes him a candidate for this thread, or just a genius at work who had everything under control?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'd be interested to know what more learned racing contributors thought about Ross Chastain's 'riding the wall' trick to gain several places in a NASCAR event.  Is it the sort of lunatic act that makes him a candidate for this thread, or just a genius at work who had everything under control?

I’m not much of a learned contributor but I do have an ARDS license, and I’m staggered that a) he even attempted it, and b) it actually worked. But hey, racing drivers can’t be totally risk-averse. It’s a desperate move that’d only work in robustly built cars on the last corner of an oval race (or on fucking Gran Turismo or similar) but trying mad shit like this is just part of the game I suppose.

His competitors will likely be raging :D

• Like 3

NASCAR brought this on themselves, it's desperation time.... either it works and he's got a shot at the title or his season effectively ends there.  Best thing is not only did it work, but he did it and didn't dump anyone unlike the POS in the junior series the day before.

I've got no issue with it, it's in the rules, and fair play for trying it.  Wouldn't be surprised if it's subject to some future rule change, but NASCAR right now think it's the best thing ever, the positive news around it rolls right into their Championship weekend.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 11:12, TQR said:

I’m not much of a learned contributor but I do have an ARDS license, and I’m staggered that a) he even attempted it, and b) it actually worked. But hey, racing drivers can’t be totally risk-averse. It’s a desperate move that’d only work in robustly built cars on the last corner of an oval race (or on fucking Gran Turismo or similar) but trying mad shit like this is just part of the game I suppose.

His competitors will likely be raging :D

Actually, doing that in Gran Turismo would probably get you like a five second penalty. The newer iterations of the game are hyper-sensitive about track limits to the point where I’ve occasionally been penalized for hitting the wall even when someone else punted me off! That was actually one of the first things I thought of when I heard about this maneuver, because GT’s programmers have zero tolerance for wall-riding.

And yeah, pretty much the only guys we’ve heard griping about his little maneuver are the guys he beat with it.

• Like 2