Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Keith Farmer 4 time British motorcycling champion dies unexpectedly aged 35. Apologies but not sure how to post an obit from my Android phone.

Possibly the wrong thread - Simon Arron, motorsports writer/photographer has died.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrSpud42 said:

Possibly the wrong thread - Simon Arron, motorsports writer/photographer has died.

A friend of mine. Simon was an absolutely super bloke, universally loved in the sport (not an easy feat to achieve) and will be greatly missed.

He had a heart attack over three weeks ago, before complications set in, leading to a number of strokes and no chance of recovery to a quality life.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

A friend of mine. Simon was an absolutely super bloke, universally loved in the sport (not an easy feat to achieve) and will be greatly missed.

He had a heart attack over three weeks ago, before complications set in, leading to a number of strokes and no chance of recovery to a quality life.

Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you OoO.

• Like 1

Former 3 time 500cc Motocross World Champion André Malherbe died on the 24th aged 66, would also class as a famous Belgian.

FB_IMG_1669571998232.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 17:52, Octopus of Odstock said:

Nothing concrete as to affliction but if Peter Windsor says he's ill, he is ill. Laffite and Tambay have Parkinsons.

Can't seem to embed the tweet for some reason;

Here's wishing the very best to three ace, French #F1 drivers who are not very well - Jacques Laffite, Patrick Tambay and Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

Patrick Tambay being reported dead. Link to follow.

Edit: https://www-lequipe-fr.translate.goog/Formule-1/Actualites/Patrick-tambay-ancien-pilote-de-f1-est-mort/1368388?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Or how bout an instant Sun QO?

Wasn't anything there when I reported, but interesting...very interesting. Bet they stole it from me on here. :lol:

@Bibliogryphon better watch out he's not picked for the forthcoming Scavvy Hunt.

I remember watching Patrick's Beyond the Grid interview which he had done despite his general health and his speech affected by Parkinson's disease. Glad he was able to come on the podcast, his story is fascinating.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

I remember watching Patrick's Beyond the Grid interview which he had done despite his general health and his speech affected by Parkinson's disease. Glad he was able to come on the podcast, his story is fascinating.

Well, it's hard to steer a car with that.....

Where's my coat?

• Like 1

Reports that rally driver Barry Barrable, whose headaches turned out to be a brain tumour, has died. I'll see if I can find a positive confirmation.

Edit: Nothing on his GoFundMe or Twitter except the clickbait.

41 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports that rally driver Barry Barrable, whose headaches turned out to be a brain tumour, has died. I'll see if I can find a positive confirmation.

Edit: Nothing on his GoFundMe or Twitter except the clickbait.

Keep telling you – get Facebook. All the other boomers are on there.

FB tribute from Motorsport.ie for Barry, whoever he was.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Keep telling you – get Facebook. All the other boomers are on there.

FB tribute from Motorsport.ie for Barry, whoever he was.

Was on Facebook for years, but I've been off it for longer. 

I'm not actively engaging with social media. Well except here, I get all the abuse I need on here....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

NASCAR guy and MMMDP pick this year Red Farmer apparently just had double pneumonia - again. However the article is a week old and he was seemingly improving back then.

"I've been at UAB Hospital for over a week battling double pneumonia," he told the station on Monday. "I beat COVID-19 and double pneumonia a few months ago. I don't have COVID this time around, but the pneumonia got me again."

On 19/12/2022 at 23:17, Octopus of Odstock said:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/mike-rowe?utm_term=RwaXK99Zx

Ex ABBA drummer and 1980's racer Slim Borgudd has dementia. Has gone downhill quickly since the last time I was in contact with him in Spring.

Has there ever been a dedicated study of Parkinson's/dementia in ex-race car drivers? Because I seem to remember a lot of them who are living or have died from either of these conditions.

Dementia: Jean-Pierre Jabouille (F1), Hubert Hahne (F1), Patrick Tambay (F1), Fred Lorenzen (NASCAR), Delma Cowart (NASCAR), Junior Johnson (NASCAR).

Parkinson's: Patrick Tambay (F1), Phil Hill (F1),  Morgan Shepherd (NASCAR), Sterling Marlin (NASCAR), Sam Posey (Indycar).

There are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

2 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Has there ever been a dedicated study of Parkinson's/dementia in ex-race car drivers? Because I seem to remember a lot of them who are living or have died from either of these conditions.

Dementia: Jean-Pierre Jabouille (F1), Hubert Hahne (F1), Patrick Tambay (F1), Fred Lorenzen (NASCAR), Delma Cowart (NASCAR), Junior Johnson (NASCAR).

Parkinson's: Patrick Tambay (F1), Phil Hill (F1),  Morgan Shepherd (NASCAR), Sterling Marlin (NASCAR), Sam Posey (Indycar).

I hope no Scavenger Hunt players who haven't put their teams in are reading these lists :D

3 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Tambay didn't have dementia.

Parkinson's might be an issue though. Jacques Laffite and Wilson Fittipaldi both have it. But the numbers are still quite small as opposed to dementia in football.

I've not seen a specific trend yet to really say there's a serious problem, unless Parkinsons cases increase.

The problem is of course that many drivers were killed, so a thorough study of a whole group is going to be difficult for at least another 20 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Tambay didn't have dementia.

Parkinson's might be an issue though. Jacques Laffite and Wilson Fittipaldi both have it. But the numbers are still quite small as opposed to dementia in football.

I've not seen a specific trend yet to really say there's a serious problem, unless Parkinsons cases increase.

The problem is of course that many drivers were killed, so a thorough study of a whole group is going to be difficult for at least another 20 years.

The single seater and stock car racing drivers of the 80's and 90's are a good cohort to watch as they were the last generation of drivers who raced before the major safety changes that took place post Ayrton Senna's and Dale Earnhardt's death respectively, with the HANS device being made mandatory in 2001 in NASCAR and Indycar and 2003 in Formula 1.

It will be interesting to observe if there is an increased incidence of dementia/Parkinson's in drivers who raced before the HANS device compared to the drivers who have raced after it was implemented.