Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm - so he's turning out to be a bad pick for Banana and I on the DDP and me on the HPDP. Tbh when I Googled him last year I thought there was a marginal chance since he also set up a food company in Peterborough and sold it not that long ago, was - kind of - hoping that colorful collision of things would sneak him into BBC local obit contention. 

Reminds me of when Peter Arundell died.

He was mentioned in 4 obits within a few months prior. Then when he died, he barely scraped a mention on an F1 forum.

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

He was mentioned in 4 obits within a few months prior. Then when he died, he barely scraped a mention on an F1 forum.

Almost makes me feel bad for adding a fake fact to Arundell's Wikipedia page shortly after his death, which is still there a decade later and now gets mentioned half the time he's brought up online.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Almost makes me feel bad for adding a fake fact to Arundell's Wikipedia page shortly after his death, which is still there a decade later and now gets mentioned half the time he's brought up online.

Was that about the "adult video games"?

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Yeah, Arundell earned some podium places didn't he? And he was proper aristocracy. 

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Yeah

Holy fuck, that's suddenly brightened up an afternoon of tediously editing punctuation and a few words. 

So, this is a brief description of Custer's Revenge - one of Arundell's greatest video hits

In the game, the player controls the character of Custer, depicted as a man wearing nothing but a cavalry hat, boots and a bandana, sporting a visible erection. Custer has to overcome arrow attacks to reach the other side of the screen. His goal is to rape a Native American woman tied to a pole.

In General Retreat, it is the woman who has to overcome various obstacles to have sex with Custer. Instead of arrows, cannonballs are fired at the woman.

I did say Belso had 100 per cent chance of dying, 20 per cent chance of obit and ive been proved to be pretty much right so far. 

10 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I did say Belso had 100 per cent chance of dying, 20 per cent chance of obit and ive been proved to be pretty much right so far. 

A fair point, though he's landed some Deathrace points - a fitting profile for a racer who's best F1 results were in the low-hanger "non championship" events. Like I pointed out he was a gamble for me, partly because I thought the Belso Cereals thing might have snuck him into regional BBC coverage. When Jody Scheckter goes presumably the national farming press and obits will have to take into account the stuff he's done successfully for the last few decades. There are doubtless people who meet him in that life who are stunned to find out what he achieved in 1979

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Yeah

Genuinely brilliant!

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

There are doubtless people who meet him in that life who are stunned to find out what he achieved in 1979

Yeah, in the best car. His hottest qualifying lap that year was 11 seconds slower than his team mate's. Of course nothing beats Damon Hill

1 hour ago, bladan said:

Yeah, in the best car. His hottest qualifying lap that year was 11 seconds slower than his team mate's. Of course nothing beats Damon Hill

I had no idea you were reading his eulogy at his funeral?

On 21/09/2019 at 11:42, dean1991 said:

Former British Formula 1 driver and possibly the oldest living? 

Kenneth McAlpine, has just turned 99.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_McAlpine

Not 'in the best of health'. 

McAlpine was too ill to be interviewed for a documentary about 70 years of the Formula one World Championship. 

Source: Me, I guess. Trust me as per Belso. K McA should get a broadsheet obit (if there are broadsheets any more) I would think for a number of reasons. 

6 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Was there a part of ‘non life threatening’ you didn’t understand?  But you posted anyway.  We aren’t here to keep his goddamn medical records, WE SEEK DEATH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Former NASCAR driver Candace Muzny was found dead in her home near Oklahoma City this week, one month after she was arrested last month after allegedly slapping a nail salon employee for speaking Vietnamese.

Muzny, who lived near Ski Island Lake, was found dead at home on Monday afternoon. Officers responded to the residence just before 4 p.m. after receiving a call regarding a female who was unresponsive and found the 44-year-old inside,.

SC

Amusing myself after a hard day with a cheerful little video about the worst F1 accident ever - over a dozen spectator deaths along with a driver at Monza 1961. 

Reminded me that two British drivers from that race both continue to breathe, including Jackie Lewis who earned his only F1 points that day. The other one - Gerry Ashmore - survived a fairly grim shunt on the first lap of the race. 

Given my luckless backing of Tom Belso earlier this year I wouldn't be daft enough to enter these two oldsters in competition unless OoO has an insight into their obit-worthyness that suggests they're good picks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Amusing myself after a hard day with a cheerful little video about the worst F1 accident ever - over a dozen spectator deaths along with a driver at Monza 1961. 

Reminded me that two British drivers from that race both continue to breathe, including Jackie Lewis who earned his only F1 points that day. The other one - Gerry Ashmore - survived a fairly grim shunt on the first lap of the race. 

Given my luckless backing of Tom Belso earlier this year I wouldn't be daft enough to enter these two oldsters in competition unless OoO has an insight into their obit-worthyness that suggests they're good picks.

One of them has terminal prostate cancer. But not only are they unlikely to see 2021, I only give him (in fact both) only 40% obit chance. 

Based mainly on the BBC Sport Obituaries round up at the end of the year that is via the BRDC. 

28 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

One of them has terminal prostate cancer. But not only are they unlikely to see 2021, I only give him (in fact both) only 40% obit chance. 

Based mainly on the BBC Sport Obituaries round up at the end of the year that is via the BRDC. 

Cheers OoO - always tempted when I examine your avatar to post a copy of the First Division table in from August 1974 when Carlisle sat on top of everyone after THREE games!

• Like 1