Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

On 07/08/2015 at 23:10, Guest a said:

Ashdown and Cabral are poorly too

No link for Ashdown, info on Cabral is on oldracingcars, Adamowiczs info on his website, Alguersuari is on auto sport.com

Cabral has died - https://www.razaoautomovel.com/2020/08/morreu-nicha-cabral-primeiro-piloto-de-formula-1-portugues

• Like 1

Alex Zanardi’s condition has improved significantly. The man’s incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He'd take a few secrets to the grave!

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

He'd take a few secrets to the grave!

I’d forgotten what an old fanny-rat he was, some of those past conquests definitely in the ‘so Debbie, what first attracted you to multi millionaire Paul Daniels’ camp. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I’d forgotten what an old fanny-rat he was, some of those past conquests definitely in the ‘so Debbie, what first attracted you to multi millionaire Paul Daniels’ camp. 

Naomi Campbell was one I think 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Naomi Campbell was one I think 

She was, also Heidi Klum who he tubbed up but they split up straight away and Seal took over the fatherly duties. 

Re Briatore - I was meaning more the times he cheated and got away with things. He'd already been convicted of fraud before his involvement in sports (notably F1 and football)

Foremost amongst the controversies is whether he was marginally responsible for the fatal accident of Ayrton Senna. Basically, there were suspicions of illegal traction control use in F1 in 1994 with Benetton being the team suspected to be most culpable. All explained below but Senna himself opted to stay out on track after a first lap collision and listen to cars passing for the rest of the grand prix, he was convinced something sounded wrong. He died trying to keep up with Michael Schumacher's car after the field sped up once a safety car had parked. The suggestion being Senna was gauging his pace to Schumacher but simply couldn't keep up because the Benetton in front had an illegal driver aid. An interesting postscript being that when Schumacher finally matched Senna's total of 41 victories and was reminded of this in the post race press conference that's the famous time Schumi broke down in tears (Italian GP 2000 if anyone's bothered to check it out)

1994 cheating controversy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Formula_One_cheating_controversy

• Like 1

Re Briatore - I was meaning more the times he cheated and got away with things. He'd already been convicted of fraud before his involvement in sports (notably F1 and football)

Foremost amongst the controversies is whether he was marginally responsible for the fatal accident of Ayrton Senna. Basically, there were suspicions of illegal traction control use in F1 in 1994 with Benetton being the team suspected to be most culpable. All explained below but Senna himself opted to stay out on track after a first lap collision and listen to cars passing for the rest of the grand prix, he was convinced something sounded wrong. He died trying to keep up with Michael Schumacher's car after the field sped up once a safety car had parked. The suggestion being Senna was gauging his pace to Schumacher but simply couldn't keep up because the Benetton in front had an illegal driver aid. An interesting postscript being that when Schumacher finally matched Senna's total of 41 victories and was reminded of this in the post race press conference that's the famous time Schumi broke down in tears (Italian GP 2000 if anyone's bothered to check it out)

1994 cheating controversy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Formula_One_cheating_controversy

And therein lies the difference between us, Mary old chap - you deal in knowledgeable and interesting factual information and I go for the salacious shag-based gossip :D

• Haha 2

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 06:31, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ron Tauranac, one of the most successful designers in Grand Prix history has died at the age of 95.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/17/legendary-f1-designer-ron-tauranac-passes-away/

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:18, YoungWillz said:

You would think the Jack Brabham connection will get him a QO.

Ron Tauranac QO for DDP etc: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/09/15/ron-tauranac-design-engineer-whose-cars-made-brabham-dominant/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

As yet unnamed fatality at Elvington Airfield who died in a world record attempt - same place Richard Hammond suffered the headache from Hell

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54381228

He was businessman and TV presenter Zef Eisenberg.

He had previous at the same track in 2016.

An adherent of the Mercury Principle - better to die young doing what you love (drug-fuelled orgies) than live old wishing you had.

On 05/05/2020 at 01:06, Octopus of Odstock said:

Phil Read, legendary motorcyclist, had coronavirus but is now recovering. 

This is despite suffering from COPD which is supposed to be a big 'rona no-no

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.visordown.com/news/general/motorcycle-gp-legend-phil-read-recovers-covid-19%3famp

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/18368960.les-trotter-column-best-wishes-world-champ-phil-read-cancer-battle/ However he has now got cancer to go with the COPD. Prostrate (Sigh) cancer according to this article. 

He's back in hospital... a german version of the article quotes him saying "I could be dead soon":

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/04/motogp/phil-read-back-in-hospital-a-fundraiser-organized-for-him.html

13 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Prostrate

I'm not surprised he’s lying down if he’s that ill!

• Haha 1

Seems only right to mention here that today Romain Grosjean of Haas came as close as it's possible to come to being another named fatality on this thread.

Impact came at 137mph, generating a force of 53G. Survival cell embedded in the barrier, car split in half and the chassis set on fire. Like something from a bygone age - Lauda's accident at the Nurburgring immediately coming to mind. Burns to the backs of his hands, no broken bones. Modern safety measures have made all the difference. Lucky, lucky, LUCKY boy. :huh:

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Seems only right to mention here that today Romain Grosjean of Haas came as close as it's possible to come to being another named fatality on this thread.

Impact came at 137mph, generating a force of 53G. Survival cell embedded in the barrier, car split in half and the chassis set on fire. Like something from a bygone age - Lauda's accident at the Nurburgring immediately coming to mind. Burns to the backs of his hands, no broken bones. Modern safety measures have made all the difference. Lucky, lucky, LUCKY boy. :huh:

Biggest F1 fire since Gerhard Berger had himself briefly flame grilled at Imola in 1989 - read some coverage today speculating on that fire, nowhere near big enough to be the whole fuel load so suggestion is some fuel forced out of the filler cap in the massive impact

Biggest F1 fire since Gerhard Berger had himself briefly flame grilled at Imola in 1989 - read some coverage today speculating on that fire, nowhere near big enough to be the whole fuel load so suggestion is some fuel forced out of the filler cap in the massive impact

so nearly Imolated then?

(I'll get my coat)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JQW said:

2021 Isle Of Man TT Festival cancelled - hence I won't be picking a road racer for my 2021 DDP joker.

2021 TT Festival: Covid-19 fears force Manx government to cancel event - BBC News

So, they interview Anne Rostron who is married to a "former" TT competitor. Fuck sake, some of them live to retire, then!!

On 30/11/2020 at 14:14, JQW said:

2021 Isle Of Man TT Festival cancelled - hence I won't be picking a road racer for my 2021 DDP joker.

2021 TT Festival: Covid-19 fears force Manx government to cancel event - BBC News

2021 North West 200 also cancelled.

John Harvey, the 1983 Bathurst 1000 winner has died at 82 after recently revealing he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

• Like 1