randomranter

The Dutch

I fucking love the Dutch, me!!

At this moment in time, I am in Seventh Heaven as we have Mr Rafael van der Vart doing his stuff on the pitch for us.

He hasnt been with us more than 5 mins but he is already a fackin legend!!! :o

• Like 1

Can some of our Dutch friends explain what's happening with the Netherlands Antilles?

Can some of our Dutch friends explain what's happening with the Netherlands Antilles?

Don't have to be Dutch. It's all about making your Antilles nestegg a little bit safer. If you want to launder your drug money through St Maarten now you don't have to worry about big brother in Curacao, not that you ever did. It shouldn't worry the Isle of Man. The Norman Wisdom's of this world are never going to move to Aruba.

Don't have to be Dutch. It's all about making your Antilles nestegg a little bit safer. If you want to launder your drug money through St Maarten now you don't have to worry about big brother in Curacao, not that you ever did. It shouldn't worry the Isle of Man. The Norman Wisdom's of this world are never going to move to Aruba.

Ok, but what does it mean for stamp collectors?

Before 10-10-2010, the situation was (in theory):

The Kingdom of the Netherlands was a confederation of three independent countries:

• The Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • The Netherlands Antilles, consisting of five islands
    • Bonaire
    • Curaçao
    • Saba
    • Sint Eustatius
    • Sint Maarten (southern half, northern half is French Saint Martin)

Each country had its own stamps.

From 10-10-10 the situation is (in theory):

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is a confederation1 of four independent countries:

• The Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Curaçao
  • Sint Maarten

Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius are overseas municipalities of the Netherlands, which are not part of a province.

From Persbureau Curaçao I understand that Curaçao and Sint Maarten will issue their own stamps, while there will be no more stamps issued by the Netherlands Antilles. Bonaire, Saba and Sint will be issuing stamps together as "Caribisch Nederland".

1Actually, there's no agreement on the constitutional nature of the Kingdom and the Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands does not use words like confederation. See Wikipedia for a discussion.

regards,

Hein

Before 10-10-2010, the situation was (in theory):

The Kingdom of the Netherlands was a confederation of three independent countries:

• The Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • The Netherlands Antilles, consisting of five islands
    • Bonaire
    • Curaçao
    • Saba
    • Sint Eustatius
    • Sint Maarten (southern half, northern half is French Saint Martin)

Each country had its own stamps.

From 10-10-10 the situation is (in theory):

The Kingdom of the Netherlands is a confederation1 of four independent countries:

• The Netherlands
  • Aruba
  • Curaçao
  • Sint Maarten

Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius are overseas municipalities of the Netherlands, which are not part of a province.

From Persbureau Curaçao I understand that Curaçao and Sint Maarten will issue their own stamps, while there will be no more stamps issued by the Netherlands Antilles. Bonaire, Saba and Sint will be issuing stamps together as "Caribisch Nederland".

1Actually, there's no agreement on the constitutional nature of the Kingdom and the Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands does not use words like confederation. See Wikipedia for a discussion.

regards,

Hein

Well you did ask.

With the dead of Toxopeus, I suddenly thought about two more candidates (with english Wiki-pages): Max Kohnstamm and Max van der Stoel. Max result guaranteed.

(And yes, I've studied political science).

1 less max (on my birthday, how kind!)

Gefeliciteerd

And another hit for the pndp.

Video footage of Tanja shot before the Mono Jojoy-attacks.

If people need ideas for entries the Dutch forum now has their own DL-like top 50 list.
27. Tanja Nijmeijer, FARC-rebel
m1dzxf9ap154.jpg

There are rumours in Colombian and Dutch media that she's been killed in action, in the same raid in which Mono Jojoy, a top Farc rebel leader, is reported to be killed.

Could be a massive points bonanza for Vaagheid if:

1. She is dead

2. She gets an obit

1. according to some Columbian sources it seems likely that she died

2. I fear she won't get the right obit, DDP-points or not i am still very proud that i predicted her death.

Prepare yourself for a disappointment: the Colombian Defense Ministry reports a woman killed in the raid is not Ms Nijmeijer. I haven't found an English news source for that, but I'll keep my eyes open.

regards,

Hein

Columbia has asked for the fingerprints and dental records of Tanja Nijmeijer.

Possibly the information is needed to establish the identity of rebels killed by the Colombian army attack on a FARC base last week, but the Dutch Foreign Ministry could not confirm this.

Dutchwoman Tanja Nijmeijer, who is 32, joined the Colombian guerrillas years ago. She may have been on the scene of last Thursday's attack which killed the notorious rebel commander, Mono Jojoy.

The first U.K. news sources are reporting her dead (sort of)

themaninblack, Do i get DDP-points for her, or must we wait for the real obituaries?

edit:

picture of her possible corpse

While browsing the ever trustworthy Wikipedia I learned that Dutch astronomer Adriaan Blaauw is still around at age 95. I know no particulars of his health and he may fail the DL Famousness Test, but he might be someone to keep an eye on.

regards,

Hein

No longer around.

I just validated every pending member ofthe Dutch Dead Pool Forum sorry that it took so long.

I also upgraded some people to moderatorship, because in the hope that this will bring more activity to the forum (and that they can help me with some of the technical difficulties.

After the sudden death of writer Martin Bril. I'd thought I make a list of famous Dutchmen (and Women) for the DL.

Jos Wijnant - (1902 - 2010) Oldest Dutchman

Johan Heesters (1903 -) - World oldest entertainer

Miep Gies (1909 -2010) - Maid of Anne Frank

Albert Wairisal (1909 -19??) - Former head of the Maluku Islands, could be death, could be living

Bull Verweij (1909 - 2010) - The driving force behind Radio Veronica a still exciting former pirate station that currently also is a television channel and popular magazine under the same name.

Piet de Jong (1915 -) - Former Dutch Prime Minister

Herbertus Bikker (1915 -2009) - Dutch war criminal known as "de beul van Ommen"

Hella Haasse (1918 -) - One of the most important postwar Dutch writers, probably the most important female writer

Pim Lier (1918 -) - Half brother of Queen Juliana

Corneille (1922 - 2010) - painter of the CoBrA group

Harry Mulisch (1927 - 2010) - One of the most important postwar Dutch writers, part of "de grote drie"(tne big three) along with Gerard Reve and W.F. Hermans

Teddy Scholten (1927 - 2010) - Former songfestival winner

Dick Bruna (1927 - ) - Miffy creator, not old enough but surdenly famous enough.

Willem Holleeder (1958 - ) - Kidnapper of Freddy Heineken (former owner of the beer company) facing a long jail sentence and is apperantly in bad health.

Ayaan Hirshi Ali (1969 - ) - Former Dutch Politician and Writer

Wow... this proved to be a damn good list. Looking back!

Albert Heijn, Dutch grocery magnate, dies at 83.

As is obvious from the spelling, he was born in the rich branch of our clan.

regards,

Hein

Dutch cyclist and cycling team manager Peter Post dies, aged 77.

regards,

Hein

Dutch cyclist and Olympic champion1 Fedor den Hertog dies, aged 64.

No English news source yet.

1As in: he was a member of the team that won the 1968 Olympic Team Time Trial. His team mates were Joop Zoetemelk, René Pijnen and Jan Krekels, all very much alive. Apart from Zoetemelk they´re not exactly DDP material, perhaps ones to keep an eye on over there at PNDP.

regards,

Hein

This really shocked me

I have family living in Alphen aan den Rijn (near the place were the shooting happened).

My grandparents also use to live there so i know the town very well.

I am truelly shocked by this.

This really shocked me

I have family living in Alphen aan den Rijn (near the place were the shooting happened).

Being absolutely serious for once, my condolences to you and your countrymen, Vaagheid (and Hein). I grew up in Tasmania and was there at the time of the Port Arthur massacre back in 1996, so I know the impact these events can have on a community.

This really shocked me

Being absolutely serious for once, my condolences to you and your countrymen, Vaagheid (and Hein). I grew up in Tasmania and was there at the time of the Port Arthur massacre back in 1996, so I know the impact these events can have on a community.

Thank you, Davey

I got a call this morning form my father that my family wasn't in the shopping mall on that day.

I also heard that apparently the father of Tristan (the murderer) use to be a good friend of my grandfather.

He had schizofrenia and spend some time in a mental hospital.

What baffles me is that a country like Holland (with VERY strict anti-gunlaws) allows such a person to be a member of a shooting club (or whatever "schietvereniging" translates to). That they give a person with his background a gun permit.

I wasn't even aware that they allowed people who are members of a shooting club to store a weapon in their home.

The goverment really needs to do something about this. They need to tighten these gun laws to prefend cases like these.

I got a call this morning form my father that my family wasn't in the shopping mall on that day.

He had schizofrenia and spend some time in a mental hospital.

He was locked up in a funny farm for suicidal tendencies, the media claim. I've read no reports about what mental illness he exactly suffered from. I'm sure we'll learn.

What baffles me is that a country like Holland (with VERY strict anti-gunlaws) allows such a person to be a member of a shooting club (or whatever "schietvereniging" translates to). That they give a person with his background a gun permit.

I wasn't even aware that they allowed people who are members of a shooting club to store a weapon in their home.

The goverment really needs to do something about this. They need to tighten these gun laws to prefend cases like these.

As far as I'm concerned I see little reason why people should own or handle fire arms anyway. Those toys should have been taken from the boys ages ago. I don't expect we'll live to see it happen.

What most bugs me most about this shooting is its meaningless. That, and the media frenzy, inevitable as it is.

regards,

Hein

As far as I'm concerned I see little reason why people should own or handle fire arms anyway.

Agreed.

I could have posted this in the Authors Last a long Time topic, but this one's rather obscure:

Dutch poet and novellist Ellen Warmond died 28 June 2011, aged 80. No mention of her death in the English speaking world.

Not famous enough abroad, I guess.

ellenwarmond.jpg

regards,

Hein

Right, just what we needed: a bent copper.

I suppose he does have a gun and knows how to use it.

regards,

Hein

Dutch actor Johnny Kraaijkamp (86) has died...

He played, among other things, the old resistance fighter Cor Takes in the Oscar-winning 1986-film The Assault...

And another Dutch Johnny carks it: Johnny Hoes, singer and producer of Dutch language hits. As a singer, his record hit was Och, was ik maar bij moeder thuis gebleven (Oh, wish I'd stayed with Mom), the heart-rending story of a private whose sweetheart elopes with his commanding officer, still the best-selling Dutch-language record in history.

He produced hits with stars such as De Alpenzusjes, Eddy Wally, de Heikrekels, Normaal, Doe Maar and Henk Wijngaard. His biggest star was, however, de Zangeres Zonder Naam, (The Singer With No Name); he wrote her Ach vaderlief, about a girl who asks her father to quit the booze, as he brings his family to ruin1, perhaps her greatest hit.

We Dutch lose a cultural icon of the first order.

1In some circles of elderly drinkers the song's title "Ach vaderlief"(Oh, father dear) is mispronounced as "Acht, vaderlief" (Eight, father dear).

regards,

Hein