randomranter

The Dutch

Paatje Phefferkorn (wiki), Dutch martial artist, dead at 98 according to the Facebook post below. 

I was aware that he had been ill (even before he caught COVID-19), and his death was misreported at least once in the past. I didn’t put him on my DDP team in the end because I didn’t think he would obit. Let’s see if I’m right or not.

8964EF38-D5D8-438E-9B93-8B85453C2613.jpeg

• Like 1

Big name for the Netherlands, not known outside that.

Tv personality André van Duin is recovering from a colon cancer operation.

Dutch link

George Kooymans, guitarist and co-founder of Golden Earring had to stop touring because he is "seriously ill". They won't diclose what it is but are saying it's "serious".

Link in Dutch

5 hours ago, Vaagheid said:

George Kooymans, guitarist and co-founder of Golden Earring had to stop touring because he is "seriously ill". They won't diclose what it is but are saying it's "serious".

Link in Dutch

He has ALS

On 29/01/2015 at 23:00, Magere Hein said:

Dutch news in the news. :scratchhead:

regards,
Hein

With all the crazy conspiracy people sharing their opinions during Corona, Off course, this guy now decides to become a vlogger.

Link in Dutch

Dutch crime journalist and TV personality Peter R. de Vries has just been shot in Amsterdam: https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/07/journalist-peter-r-de-vries-injured-in-shooting-in-amsterdam/

Abroad he is probably best known for his work on the Natalee Holloway case. He is one of those people you respect for their work but that irritate you because of the pompousness and bordering-on-narcissism way they do it. 

Let's hope for the best, but it doesn't look good.. 

Dutch political correspondent Ron Fresen (62) is terminally ill. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 15 years ago, recovered, but the cancer returned in november 2018. He has been working with NOS (Dutch Broadcasting Foundation) since 2004 and will leave them in may 2022, he announced this morning. Among things he wants to do is spend time with his grandson for as long as he can.

While not a news anchor, he is a well known figure in the news as political correspondent for the last eight years.

Really hope he can last a while, he always came across a great guy, informative & funny. 

https://www.nu.nl/media/6163504/politiek-duider-ron-fresen-62-is-ongeneeslijk-ziek.html

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Princess Beatrix has Covid its being reported.

Beatrix has a thread and has had for 16 years:

She's received the vaccine (+ booster shot) but there's a chance she's got the omicron variant as it has apparently been in the Netherlands for around two weeks.

• Like 1

Reinier Paping, a true legend. Winner of the 11 cities skating marathon of 1963, died at the age of 90. This race is held when the ice is thick enough to hold the 200 kilometer race. The fact that there are now only two winners alive, of which one won it twice, gives a sense of how remarkable a win is. His race was even more legendary than the others. Weather was horrendous with snow and strong winds. Temperatures went to -18C. Only 69 skaters out of 10000 managed to finish. 

• Like 1

Weatherman Piet Paulusma (65) has passed away from cancer today. Began reporting the weather on regional Frisian tv in 1985 and nationally since 1996 until his death. He always closed his reports with the Frisian saying oant moarn! Meaning as much as "see you tomorrow", and becoming his trademark.

While it was reported he was hospitalised a couple of years ago, no news regarding his health had been disclosed publicly and as such his death has come as a shock to many.

He was certainly one of the most well known weathermen of the country, and generally well liked (I would call this the most notable Dutch death of 2022 so far).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Henny Vrienten, Dutch musician and singer/bassist of Doe Maarhas died aged 73.

Oh, no, you posted after he was already listed on Wikipedia!

:referee:

• Haha 1

I was shocked by this one. He might not be known outside the Dutch speaking universe but he was an immensely talented musician.

1 hour ago, Whitehouse said:

I was shocked by this one. He might not be known outside the Dutch speaking universe but he was an immensely talented musician.

Honestly saw this one coming when they permanently stopped touring because of illness a couple of months ago.

At the end of last year i considered making a DDP-entry full of all the termanilly ill Dutch musicians (Vrienten, Jan Rot, Rob de Nijs, George Kooymans) but it seemed quite pointless if none of Them would get an obit.

50 minutes ago, Vaagheid said:

Honestly saw this one coming when they permanently stopped touring because of illness a couple of months ago.

At the end of last year i considered making a DDP-entry full of all the termanilly ill Dutch musicians (Vrienten, Jan Rot, Rob de Nijs, George Kooymans) but it seemed quite pointless if none of Them would get an obit.

George might.

Twilight Zone was a #1 hit in America,would be very shocked if that didn't at least get him a daily mail copy pasta

On 12/06/2014 at 09:27, Magere Hein said:

Interesting (for deadpooling purposes) was a video message from Dutch poet Remco Campert. At 84, Campert apparently was too frail to attend in person, and the video showed an old man, speaking in that soft, breathless manner so typical for the elderly. I'm afraid he doesn't have many years left in him, even though he still regularly writes for newspaper De Volkskrant.

regards,

Hein

He had 8 more years left in him: Remco Campert dead at 92.

Coincidentally enough, yesterday I checked for any recent updates on him.

• Like 3

I drove past a public bookshelf today and saw an abandoned book of Henk de Velde . Usually I know pretty well whether a person is alive or dead, but in this case i didn't know for sure. So back home i searched the internet.. to find out he's alive but has uncurable cancer and all treatment has stopped: http://www.henkdevelde.com/go/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2022 at 21:36, I.R.Baboon said:

I drove past a public bookshelf today and saw an abandoned book of Henk de Velde . Usually I know pretty well whether a person is alive or dead, but in this case i didn't know for sure. So back home i searched the internet.. to find out he's alive but has uncurable cancer and all treatment has stopped: http://www.henkdevelde.com/go/

Henk de Velde dead at 73.

• Like 4