randomranter

The Dutch

Simon Vinkenoog, poet, writer and professional consumer of everything illegal and mind-expanding died last night, aged 80.

media_xl_168354.jpg

Ria Brieffies, an singer from a Dutch popgroup from the 80's named the Dolly Dots (probably why I didn't know here) is very fragile after lungcancer battle

http://mediafreak.nl/medianieuws_read.asp?ID=357

DEAD!!!!

Always thought the Dolly Dots were a poor man's Luv' personally, only there were twice as many of 'em. Better than Babe though.

Ria Brieffies, an singer from a Dutch popgroup from the 80's named the Dolly Dots (probably why I didn't know here) is very fragile after lungcancer battle

http://mediafreak.nl/medianieuws_read.asp?ID=357

DEAD!!!!

Always thought the Dolly Dots were a poor man's Luv' personally, only there were twice as many of 'em. Better than Babe though.

I'm both appalled and yet strangely reassured that we have someone so well-versed in the minutiae of 70s/80s Europap - take a curtain call, VT.

We've just about got every topic under the sun covered on this here forum, haven't we?

for the Maluka islands I would pick instead president in exile Frans Tutuhatunewa (1923)

I thought I heard somewere that he has stepped down recently

Yeah, so did I. Oh well, a former president is interesting too.

Hey welcome back Hein if you're still out there. Just noticed you looked in yesterday. You're much missed around these parts. Hope all's well.

After reading about the late Keith Floyd, I couldn't help thinking of 'our own' Keith Floyd, Jean Nelissen. Former cycling commentator, and now mainly famous for drinking awful lots of liquor, smoking cigars, going bankrupt and for not being grey, even though he's 72.

jean_nelissen.jpg

He is bigger than Anton Corbijn (director of Control).

Well it doesn't show in that picture... :lol:

;)

After reading about the late Keith Floyd, I couldn't help thinking of 'our own' Keith Floyd, Jean Nelissen. Former cycling commentator, and now mainly famous for drinking awful lots of liquor, smoking cigars, going bankrupt and for not being grey, even though he's 72.

Without looking at the photo, I started reading the sentence thinking you were going to talk about Joop Braakhekke.

I still can't really see the link between Sport Commentator and Television Chef.

Well, it was just some free association, based on their love for alcoholic beverages (Nelissen saying "Ik ben gestopt met drinken en zuip alleen nog maar"), the consequence of losing all of their money, the blackness of their hair and their troubled way of looking at the camera.
As our personal Dutch political researcher, do you have any other people I might look out for the coming months I.R. ?

(Ik waardeerde je eerdere suggesties enorm, zeker gezien dat het me kan helpen met de death pools die ik met vrienden houd)

Had to think about this for a long time, but how about Johan van Hulst, the former CDA-leader in the CDA parliament. Almost too old to remember, but he's still a great chess player, winning the famous corus former politician tournamanet at the age of 95. A speech of him earlier this year:
(it's in English. Well, some kind of English).