Death in Pixie Boots

Sheikh Down

On 20/05/2013 at 22:01, adrian0719 said:

As the Saudi royals keep dropping like flies, I thought I would post a list of the remainder of Ibn Saud's 45 sons and their various health ailments:

• Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1923)
  • King Abdullah (1924, lots of surgeries, strokes? dementia?)
  • Mishaal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1926, strokes and other medical mishaps)
  • Abdul-Rahman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1931)
  • Mutain bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1931)
  • Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1931)
  • Nawwaf bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1932)
  • Turki II bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1934)
  • Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1935, stroke, some say dementia)
  • Abdul Illah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1939)
  • Mamdouh bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1940)
  • Ahmed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1942)
  • Mashhur bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1942)
  • Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (1945)

Bandar dead as reported elsewhere. 88-year old Mutaib is now the eldest surviving son of Ibn Saud.

3 minutes ago, adrian0719 said:

Sultan Qaboos dead.

Mirror QO

Quite the cult pick in this years DDP.

• Like 1

Huge. Longest ruler in the Middle East at nearly 50 years. It was announced in December that he had just weeks to live. Did we miss that or just choose to omit him anyway?

• Like 1

I'm sad to hear this.  I have a couple of really good friends from Oman from uni and from what I've heard, he really modernised the country and was loved there. Oman is just about the most peaceful country in the region and I hope they can get a new sultan who can keep it on that path. 

He was a, well, if not great, than at least good, man, a good ruler. An enlightened absolute monarch, like Frederick II of Prussia, probably about as gay.

My main team had to take the unique possibility of having a hit from the country of Oman. Even if it was unlikely for him to enter the Drop 40. Maybe I should have beat the drum a little more?

• Like 1

He seems to have been one of the few "good" leaders in a region full of despots and extremists.  According to the BBC he brought the people to prosperity; a very interesting personality indeed.  I personally left him off my lists because I wasn't totally buying what the media was saying about his health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Huge. Longest ruler in the Middle East at nearly 50 years. It was announced in December that he had just weeks to live. Did we miss that or just choose to omit him anyway?

Main DL? There was talk about him in the Suggestions thread - I know for sure I mentioned it, and others did to. This was pretty well reported in the last 2 weeks of December, so either the committee thought it was a fake or chose to omit him completely.

1 hour ago, CastAway said:

Main DL? There was talk about him in the Suggestions thread - I know for sure I mentioned it, and others did to. This was pretty well reported in the last 2 weeks of December, so either the committee thought it was a fake or chose to omit him completely.

What’s strange is I could have sworn he got picked for the main list, but I guess I was wrong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, QueenElizabethIsAlmostDead said:

What’s strange is I could have sworn he got picked for the main list, but I guess I was wrong.

Maybe you were thinking of the crowdsource list? He was picked there 

23 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Maybe you were thinking of the crowdsource list? He was picked there 

That must be it. Thanks :)

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

He was a, well, if not great, than at least good, man, a good ruler. An enlightened absolute monarch, like Frederick II of Prussia, probably about as gay.

My main team had to take the unique possibility of having a hit from the country of Oman. Even if it was unlikely for him to enter the Drop 40. Maybe I should have beat the drum a little more?

I heard your drumming, my first DDP hit this year. A nice one, I think.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

My first hit !

Congratulations!:party:.

3 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Ahmed Jannati looking rough.

Think this is in the wrong thread.  He's a cleric, not a sheikh.

9 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Ahmed Jannati looking rough.

He looks like a man his age. This dork is one of the worst hardliners in Iran. Would be good riddance to bad rubbish.

Sheikh Saleh Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rajhi, the founder of Al Rajhi Bank in Saudi Arabia and who, according to Wikipedia, died February 12th, 2011 (age 89 or 90), has died again.  This time he was 108. Supposedly, he passed on in hospital Saturday afternoon.

https://www.siasat.com/al-rajhi-founder-sheikh-saleh-passes-away-in-riyadh-1919224/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleh_Abdul_Aziz_Al_Rajhi

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Sheikh Saleh Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rajhi, the founder of Al Rajhi Bank in Saudi Arabia and who, according to Wikipedia, died February 12th, 2011 (age 89 or 90), has died again.  This time he was 108. Supposedly, he passed on in hospital Saturday afternoon.

https://www.siasat.com/al-rajhi-founder-sheikh-saleh-passes-away-in-riyadh-1919224/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleh_Abdul_Aziz_Al_Rajhi

Just had a look at this.

Looks like the 2011 death was misreported. All of the sources used on his Wiki were subsequently removed from Saudi news sites. Not the first time this has happened with their media. If I recall correctly they have reported the deaths of several of the princes before (even going as far as running with an assassination story with one) then removed the articles within days (without actually printing a correction or apology).

Nightmare of a country for deadpooling. Even the North Korean officials are clearer!

Still, he wasn't 108. Most reliable sources online give a YOB of 1921 or 1923. Classic exaggeration of age within a culture where it means more than just sitting in a nursing home and pissing yourself all day.

• Like 1

The 108 things is trivial to understand. They simply inverted 1921 to get 1912 and then based his age on that. When the article originally came out it said he was 99 and born in 1912. They have changed it later.

But perhaps the most interesting thing: Saleh did die in 2011, but at the start of July some hoaxes surfaced about the death of his brother Suleiman (aged 91). This has been since denied, but caused enough confusion. Anyway Saleh has been dead for a long time and the article above is a complete hoax.

2 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Emir of Kuwait admitted to hospital.

Could be a great addition to next year's list, if he survives this year.

Who could ever forget that George Bush Sr waged a war, because this Emir wanted his gas station  country back?

1 hour ago, adrian0719 said:

Now King Salman of Saudi Arabia has been admitted to hospital.

He has an inflamed gallbladder. It's a very simple operation to take it out (speaking as someone who had that operation last year). There's no need to use a bone saw.

• Haha 1