Sign in to follow this  
deadsox

Linda Uttley

Do any of you Brits have news about Linda Uttley?

I thought you were going to tell us, she's died...

Who? :rolleyes:

This woman, diagnosed with terminal cancer last year.

Struggling to find any announcement of her death. Though she's not too famous outside of rugby, doesn't even have her own Wiki page.

Ooh! That'll shake things up on the DDP if she gets an obit. It could be a nervous wait for Master Mind. :skull:

What do you mean "if"? I thought that rugby was a popular sport in Old Blighty. Wouldn't ARod get an obit in the USA?

Ooh! That'll shake things up on the DDP if she gets an obit. It could be a nervous wait for Master Mind. :P

What do you mean "if"? I thought that rugby was a popular sport in Old Blighty. Wouldn't ARod get an obit in the USA?

It is but.. women's rugby isn't. Just like women's football in the US isn't. She's relatively unknown to the vast majority of ppl (I didn't know who she was until I saw her in the DDP and did a bit of research).... :skull:

Ooh! That'll shake things up on the DDP if she gets an obit. It could be a nervous wait for Master Mind. :P

It is but.. women's rugby isn't. Just like women's football in the US isn't. She's relatively unknown to the vast majority of ppl (I didn't know who she was until I saw her in the DDP and did a bit of research).... :skull:

Strangely enough they have heard of her in Twickenham. A Guardian obit.

Your Local Guardian

;)

British rugby star Linda Uttley has died from cancer at age 43. No Suitable DDP obit yet.

Really?

British rugby star Linda Uttley has died from cancer at age 43. No Suitable DDP obit yet.

Really?

A minor consolation to those who risked her but the low key obit already unearthed will count for Deathrace points so it moves Deadsox into a clear second place over the year, one hit behind Eejit.

I'll drag the thread back to the top near the end of the year in case I've missed a death and should tweak the points before forking out for the sumptious prize.

The Times has assured me that Linda will get an obit, but when?, when?, when?

Hmm,

just discovered a rant in my email inbox written 3 weeks ago from some friend of Linda Uttley's accusing me of ridiculing her for having died.

Do you think I should reply?

Hmm,

just discovered a rant in my email inbox written 3 weeks ago from some friend of Linda Uttley's accusing me of ridiculing her for having died.

What did the email say? :(

Hmm,

Since you ask:

Hello,

No doubt you will find this tastelessly hilarious, but having thought about it today, I decided to email you anyway.

I have just googled the name of one my friends, Linda Uttley. Linda is not a celebrity. She has never saught fame or thrown herself on the mercy of the tabloids in return for stardom and a quick buck. She didn't earn a fortune and seek celebrity, stripping herself of any rights to privacy for herself or her family.

Linda was, in fact, a sales rep. She worked for an entertainment company selling function room space. She was also an aunty. A sister. A daughter. And a friend to lots of people. Yes, she played for England Ladies - but can you name one single other player who did without searching online? No, i doubt you can.

On this basis, I would honestly like to know why you have included on this site? It is really tasteless. I am just praying that none of her family come accross this as they will be devastated. I am pretty upset myself, as is the other destraught friend of hers that brought this to my attention.

I am sure your game is very amusing for people who like to mock celebrity, but please remove Linda from this - no one knows who she is and she does not deserve to be ridiculed for dying.

regards,

She's right. I can't name anyone else who played for England Ladies.

Hmm,

Since you ask:

Hello,

No doubt you will find this tastelessly hilarious, but having thought about it today, I decided to email you anyway.

I have just googled the name of one my friends, Linda Uttley. Linda is not a celebrity. She has never saught fame or thrown herself on the mercy of the tabloids in return for stardom and a quick buck. She didn't earn a fortune and seek celebrity, stripping herself of any rights to privacy for herself or her family.

Linda was, in fact, a sales rep. She worked for an entertainment company selling function room space. She was also an aunty. A sister. A daughter. And a friend to lots of people. Yes, she played for England Ladies - but can you name one single other player who did without searching online? No, i doubt you can.

On this basis, I would honestly like to know why you have included on this site? It is really tasteless. I am just praying that none of her family come accross this as they will be devastated. I am pretty upset myself, as is the other destraught friend of hers that brought this to my attention.

I am sure your game is very amusing for people who like to mock celebrity, but please remove Linda from this - no one knows who she is and she does not deserve to be ridiculed for dying.

regards,

You could ask her to pay for an obituary in The Times as a mark of respect for her dear friend.

Failing that you could ask for a deal on that function space for DL CON 4.

Hmm,

Since you ask:

Hello,

regards,

I can understand why lots of people find this pursuit "tasteless". Taste is, after all different for different people. I for one don't "mock" celebrities or wish for their deaths. We play the game for fun, knowing that we don't do anything to actually harm anyone. After all, celebrities understand that this sort of attention comes as part of fame. This seems to be an exception. I'm sorry that Linda's friend was hurt by this. She just came into the public eye. Nap, I wouldn't answer. This, like all things will pass.

I can't find any evidence of ridiculing her in the thread, so I don't understand what the friend is making such a fuss about. There's plenty of threads here abouts that really do rip into some of the minor celebs, which I could understand them/their family & friends being upset about, but Linda's thread is pretty tame comparatively speaking.

The fact that she is probably the only female rugby player anyone (may have) heard of speaks well of what she managed to achieve in life, and that she makes a fleeting appearance here, again, is testament to her. So rather than (mildly) ranting to get her removed, I think the thread shows that she was at the top of her game. Her friend may not like it, but Linda being famous enough to get a mention here is surely better than quietly slinking off, unreported, unknown and without recognition of what she achieved in life.

I don't think of DL mocking celebs (well, only the ones that deserve it) but celebrating the fact that they're well-known enough to get on our RADAR.

I don't think of DL mocking celebs (well, only the ones that deserve it) but celebrating the fact that they're well-known enough to get on our RADAR.

I have little to say on the subject, but I do like that spelling of the acronym. It's one of those words that entered mainstream usage from technical jargon. It lost its capitals in transit.

regards,

Hein

I can't find any evidence of ridiculing her in the thread, so I don't understand what the friend is making such a fuss about......

Even less understandable since the complaint is about her appearance on the Hartlepool Deadlypool, which devotes the following thirteen words to her:

Linda Uttley was a former England national rugby player who died of cancer.

I have little to say on the subject, but I do like that spelling of the acronym. It's one of those words that entered mainstream usage from technical jargon. It lost its capitals in transit.

regards,

Hein

Acronyms don't have to have capitals and my feeling is that RADAR above should be radar.

Guest Angry Linda Uttley fan

I too was distressed at the lack of an obit. It wasn't the deadpools that let Linda Uttley down but the useless media that, in spite of her achievements, let her die without record. This friend should have addressed her sentiments to the letters column of one of the broadsheets. You should advise her to do so NAP. There's still time before January 1.

I can't find any evidence of ridiculing her in the thread, so I don't understand what the friend is making such a fuss about......

Even less understandable since the complaint is about her appearance on the Hartlepool Deadlypool, which devotes the following thirteen words to her:

Hmmm, this email sounds a bit suspect so it had me Googling her. Googling 'Linda Uttley' doesn't bring up the Hartlepool Deadlypool on the first 3 pages of Google (couldn't be bothered to look further), but Googling 'Linda Uttley dead' gave HDP as the 3rd listed site for her on the search engine. Perhaps you should be asking why someone would type in their deceased friend's name with the word 'dead' after it when surely they should be grieving, supporting the family, other friends etc. I know that whenever one of my friends has died I have never been entering their names into search engines, last thing on my mind....

Hmmm, this email sounds a bit suspect so it had me Googling her. Googling 'Linda Uttley' doesn't bring up the Hartlepool Deadlypool on the first 3 pages of Google (couldn't be bothered to look further), but Googling 'Linda Uttley dead' gave HDP as the 3rd listed site for her on the search engine. Perhaps you should be asking why someone would type in their deceased friend's name with the word 'dead' after it when surely they should be grieving, supporting the family, other friends etc. I know that whenever one of my friends has died I have never been entering their names into search engines, last thing on my mind....

Ah, but entering "Linda Uttley" in Google, pops up the suggestion "Linda Uttley Cancer", and when you hit enter, returns the positively Googlicious www.notapotato.com celebs page, just begging to be clicked on.

Brian Viner's Independent write up is also returned by the same search argument, which urges us to raise a glass or six to Uttley. I feel a rant coming on to Mr Viner on behalf of recovering alcoholics (not that I am one), who will have no doubt lapsed into a downward spiral of self harm after following his very irresponsible and ill-conceived advice.