harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Minimalists (and other classical composers/musicians)

Composer Hugh Wood has died aged 89.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of (big one) Bernard Haitinkhttps://www.askonasholt.com/bernard-haitink-1929-2021-announcement/

DDP Pick. (Obvs).

Oh that is a big one, he was on my long list for years and recently transferred to the shortlist after that documentary - he seemed to be going downhill quickly once he could no longer perform. 

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

Oh that is a big one, he was on my long list for years and recently transferred to the shortlist after that documentary - he seemed to be going downhill quickly once he could no longer perform. 

Well, @time gets all the points for this one.

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Yes, I was just looking and noticed that, despite him being frequently mentioned by me and Reptile in the Cmme chats and so on, neither of us actually picked the sod! In anything by looks of it.

Err, well done Time!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

30 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, I was just looking and noticed that, despite him being frequently mentioned by me and Reptile in the Cmme chats and so on, neither of us actually picked the sod! In anything by looks of it.

Err, well done Time!

WelI I was beginning to think the old sod was immortal. I've picked him every year since 2014 (except 2017 when my entry got lost in the post), and apart from a couple of years with the old Minions of Xuleneb team, always unique.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 17:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

(It ain't an all-encompassing list because duh, that'd be 20, 000 odd names!)

*snip*

-          1937: Frank Ifield, Shirley Bassey, Gordon Crosse, Philip Glass, Don Everly, Dick Dale, Garth Hudson (Band), Tom Paxton, Noel Stookey, Art Neville, Paolo Conte, Irmin Schmidt

*snip*

English composer Gordon Crosse (wikidead just short of his 84th birthday.

• Like 2

Roger Norrington (87), retired somewhat suddenly last week having overcome cancer many years ago. 

No word of why but not many conductors “retire”, without good reason to not appear on the podium… could be a 2022 shout? 

Haitink went about 2 years after his final concert, but looked in MUCH better condition than Sir Roger… 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/19/roger-norrington-musical-revolutionary-bows-out-sage-gateshead-royal-northern-sinfonia

Jon Appleton, composer and Synclavier innovator, died on Sunday, according to his son.

Appleton is uniquely rooted both in shaping music both in instruments and composition. As a composer, he produced seminal works in essentially every decade of his life, helped make the program at Dartmouth a global center in electronic music (with a side trip to work at Sweden’s EMS), and went on to make Dartmouth a center again with electro-acoustic grad program.  On the side of instruments, his influence with the Synclavier is tough to overstate. (Even Ableton founders Gerhard Behles and Robert Henke have pointed to the role of the Synclavier as a major source of inspiration for Live, which might not be immediately obvious.).

The Synclavier was an architectural and design marvel. It was built on a real-time CPU and analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion, all produced as bespoke internal design projects. It helped popularize sampling, and was a terrific FM instrument to boot.

SC

Lordy - no one posts here for ages, and I find two back-to-back.

Wieslaw Rekucki, a Polish violist who maintained an impressive teaching career in Spain, has died following a heart attack on 30 January 2022. He was 64.

Born in 1957, Rekucki began his musical studies in his native town of Lublin, furthering his studies in Warsaw. He enjoyed a prolific orchestral viola career as principal viola of the Polish Radio Orchestra and Teatro San Carlo orchestra in Naples, before settling in Oviedo in the north of Spain in 1985, where he was principal viola of the Asturias Symphony Orchestra.

SC

3 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Grammy and Pulitzer award winning composer George Crumb (1929-2022) passed away on February 6, 2022, at age 92, at his Media, PA home.

https://avantmusicnews.com/2022/02/06/rip-george-crumb/

Previous DDP pick I’m pretty sure. Unpicked this year though

• Like 1

First picked by Reptile's classical theme in 2019. Unpicked since.

• Like 1

William Kraft (wiki), American composer and conductor, dead at 98 according to Facebook posts here and here.

• Like 3

The joker of my DDP C-team, Detroit Symphony Orchestra longtime CEO Anne Parsons has died:
https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-detroit-leonard-slatkin-ab9a8f4f6488ffbe8401e90bcd3c56c2

Shooting for that yahoo obit, but the APnews article makes me think, a Daily Mail obit is also possible.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1