harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Minimalists (and other classical composers/musicians)

3 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Stepping back from engagements for the coming months after being diagnosed with a "serious neurological condition".

Interesting, thanks, I missed that.

Makes me wonder what it could be. Dementia, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's. None would allow conducting, but I'd assume you'd have seen signs by now if it was one of these things.

Maybe he had a mini-stroke, an aneurysm, or something like that?

He doesn't want to cancel everything, but the message also sounds like a good bye.

• Like 1

Eminent conductor Zubin Mehta cancels his christmas concerts because of poor health:

https://slippedisc.com/2022/10/zubin-mehta-cancels-christmas-and-shares-a-revealing-dream/

He also shares a dream which kind of implies that he feels getting close to the "other side".

• Like 2

On 06/05/2009 at 23:13, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

The 'big four' minimalist composers are all edging towards their mid-70s. I wonder who'll be the first to reach the end of the drone?

LaMonte Young

Terry Riley

Steve Reich (in the afternoon)

Philip Glass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like their music, they just go on and on, with very little happening. 

• Like 2

I read an interview with Terry Riley (in Dutch) last month.. his tour got stuck in Japan in 2020 due to COVID and since then he's been living there, spending his time composing and teaching. He has no plans on returning to the USA.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2022 at 14:11, Joey Russ said:

Ryuichi Sakamoto has stage 4 cancer

We all knew Ryuichi Sakamoto was very ill. His throat cancer has spread to both lungs. 

Of note for the DL Cmme and probably the Drop 40, Sakamoto reveals in the build to his likely final public performance (already recorded in advance months ago), that he was given a prognosis of around six months to live.... in early May 2020. :skull:

(DI pointed out the cancer diagnosis was before Playing the Piano 2020, not 2022.)

On 04/12/2022 at 16:04, msc said:

We all knew Ryuichi Sakamoto was very ill. His throat cancer has spread to both lungs. 

Of note for the DL Cmme and probably the Drop 40, Sakamoto reveals in the build to his likely final public performance (already recorded in advance months ago), that he was given a prognosis of around six months to live.... in early May 2020. :skull:

(DI pointed out the cancer diagnosis was before Playing the Piano 2020, not 2022.)

Just an update really on all of the above from a few days ago: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2022/12/12/music/ryuichi-sakamoto-concert/

Going over a list of names from when I was in the DL Cup (April), I discovered one of my secret names for a May team that never materialised also never materialised on these threads.
Alexander Toradze, a Russian pianist and defector to the U.S., died at 69 way back on 19 May 2022.  He had a NYTimes obit so I'm surprised he wasn't mentioned.  He suffered heart failure during a performance in Vancouver, WA, on April 23, which is how I short-listed his name.
SC

Times death notice for Bela Dekany, Holocaust survivor and classical violinist who was a former leader of the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

Died on 27 December 2022, aged 94.

hqdefault.jpg.7c0a758a0240e8d1d32b07960afa923f.jpg

• Like 2

On 02/09/2022 at 11:22, gcreptile said:

Daniel Barenboim is forced to retire completely (it's regarded as breaking news!):

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/daniel-barenboim-tritt-als-generalmusikdirektor-der-staatsoper-zurueck-a-f5292208-d650-4684-920a-a4cee74f225d

I suspect I should have played him a little more here and there.

I always confuse Barenboim with Zubin Mehta.

Nice of them they are ill at the same time.

• Haha 1

Mehta has quite a few concerts planned in 2023 though, I think with him it's just regular age issues.

Still, conductors usually have a god complex and want to keep working until death. So planned concerts don't have to indicate anything.

• Like 1

I wonder if Barenboim has the same neurological condition that his wife Jacqueline du Pre died of

Update on Michael Tilson Thomas.

Still performing and recent scan results were positive. Bit early to write him off as a bad 2023 pick, but definitely one of my weaker choices, it seems.

• Like 1

Martha Argerich, among the greatest, if not the greatest living pianist, cancels all further concerts because of heart problems:

https://theviolinchannel.com/pianist-martha-argerich-cancels-performances/

She also canceled a couple of concerts late last year, but appeared to support Daniel Barenboim in between.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Martha Argerich, among the greatest, if not the greatest living pianist,

Has Bobby Crush died?!!!!! :lol:

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'd probably laugh if I knew him...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It is with great sadness that I can report that Bobby Crush is still with us.

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I'd probably laugh if I knew him...

Talented pianist who won a talent show when I was a boy who has resorted to doing piss poor impressions of Liberace, instead of maximising his talent.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Herbert Blomstedt (95) before here, the oldest (professional) conductor still performing. He broke a hip last year and since then he uses a cane, but still goes voor 30 minute walks. He conducts 80 times a year, but he sits while doing so, and in a review of his performance at the Concertgebouw last weekend he was described as 'fragile' in the newspaper. 

(he looks 80 at most, btw..)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Herbert Blomstedt (95) before here, the oldest (professional) conductor still performing. He broke a hip last year and since then he uses a cane, but still goes voor 30 minute walks. He conducts 80 times a year, but he sits while doing so, and in a review of his performance at the Concertgebouw last weekend he was described as 'fragile' in the newspaper. 

What bus route is he on then?

5 hours ago, I.R.Baboon said:

1. Says they’re surprised no one has mentioned a person.

2. Lists at least three reasons not to mention them.

• Like 1