harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Minimalists (and other classical composers/musicians)

On 06/01/2023 at 11:20, Youth in Asia said:

I wonder if Barenboim has the same neurological condition that his wife Jacqueline du Pre died of

You don't get MS at 80 years old.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kenny said:

You don't get MS at 80 years old.

Can do but very rarely. 

There’s no mañana for Manana! 

(I’ll get me coat)

Georgian pianist Manana Doijashvili has passed away at the age of 75. Doijashvili was a key figure in Georgia's music scene and established the Georgian Music Competitions Fund — which among other initiatives funds the Tbilisi International Piano Competition.

SC

On 23/01/2023 at 18:57, Sir Creep said:

1. Says they’re surprised no one has mentioned a person.

2. Lists at least three reasons not to mention them.

I thought about this while riding my bike and I totally disagree. I really don't like it when someone is only mentioned on deathlist when he's dead or dying. I like 18-year old threads in which you can slowly follow someones demise. So if I read something new about Blomstedt (only doing 50 concerts a year, using a walker, breaking his collarbone while kitesurfing etc) at least I have an anchor to reply on now.

On 26/01/2023 at 09:01, Sir Creep said:

There’s no mañana for Manana! 

(I’ll get me coat)

Georgian pianist Manana Doijashvili has passed away at the age of 75. Doijashvili was a key figure in Georgia's music scene and established the Georgian Music Competitions Fund — which among other initiatives funds the Tbilisi International Piano Competition.

SC

Yes there is!

Here's The Muppets tribute to him B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hank Beebe (Wiki), American composer, known for his choral compositions, Broadway musicals dead at 96

He was nominated two time for Drama Desk Awards for Outstanding Music and Lyrics.

Twitter reporting the death of American composer and conductor Gerald Fried (wiki), who turned 95 just a few days ago.

Composed the scores for "Shotgun Slade" and "Roots". Also composed on various episodes of "Star Trek", "Gilligan's Island", "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." and "Mission: Impossible".

EDIT: Ninja'd by SiT.

• Like 2

Nicholas Snowman, was a British arts administrator and the chairman of the jewellers Wartski. In 2000, The Telegraph called him "one of the most influential figures in British classical music for the past 30 years". He died aged 78. Obit

On 07/05/2009 at 01:50, Twelvetrees said:

[...]

Gyorgy Kurtag is 83

Kurtag (97 now) was too frail to travel in 2018, and his wife for 73 years died in 2019, but he still does rehearsals:

• Like 1

The BBC has announced the closure of the BBC Singers, the UK's only full-time professional chamber choir and one of the company's six salaried performing groups. The decision to close the near-century-old choir was announced earlier this month, with OperaWire reporting that the move will eliminate 20 jobs. The BBC's Head of Orchestras and Choirs, Simon Webb, also announced a 20% reduction in salaried posts at the BBC Symphony and Concert Orchestras in London and Manchester's Philharmonic Orchestra.

The BBC Singers' abrupt closure comes amid a new strategy to create "agile ensembles" that can work with "more musicians and broadcasting from more venues" around the UK, the corporation explained, per the BBC.

On 21/01/2022 at 20:44, msc said:

Dead folk taken out, including the one person who actually died in the 1970s. My bad! It now goes up to 1961 (so folk 60+) and I've used your lists and Top of the Pops to expand the 1950s section which was a bit thin on the ground. Not every singer/band here as that'd be a list of half a million living folk. If yer favourites are missing, its a personal slight, of course. Ahem. As the last list missed Sparks, I can't promise there isn't some obvious missing name...

-          1944: Jimmy Page, Laurie London, Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Roger Daltrey, Michael Nyman, Gary Glitter, Bill Legend (T Rex), Chris Spedding, Ray Davies (Kinks), Jeff Beck, Peter Asher, Rick Davies, Christopher Gunning,  Tim Rice, Karl Jenkins, Mick Avory (Kinks), Paul Jones, Mike d’Abo, Diana Ross, Terry Jacks, Michelle Philips, John Kay, Jack Cassady (Jefferson), Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Mick Ralphs (Mott the Hoople), Boz Scaggs, Peter Cetera, Mike Post, Jon Anderson, Denny Laine, Booker T Jones, John Densmore (Doors), Jonathan King, Mick Jones (Foreigner), Tony Visconti, Albert Hammond, Bev Bevan (ELO), Jimmy Cliff, Barry Jenkins (Animals), Loukas Sideras, Megan Davies, Chris Hillman, Lenny Davidson, Brenda Lee, John Sebastian, Beaky (John Dymond), Mick (Michael Wilson), Tich (Ian Amey), Francoise Hardy, Dave Edmunds, Mike McGear, George Baker, Eric Bloom, Graham Lyle, Nona Hendryx, Ralph McTell, Verden Allen

Various reports of the death of composer Christopher Gunning

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 17/03/2023 at 12:42, Sir Creep said:

The BBC has announced the closure of the BBC Singers, the UK's only full-time professional chamber choir and one of the company's six salaried performing groups. The decision to close the near-century-old choir was announced earlier this month, with OperaWire reporting that the move will eliminate 20 jobs. The BBC's Head of Orchestras and Choirs, Simon Webb, also announced a 20% reduction in salaried posts at the BBC Symphony and Concert Orchestras in London and Manchester's Philharmonic Orchestra.

The BBC Singers' abrupt closure comes amid a new strategy to create "agile ensembles" that can work with "more musicians and broadcasting from more venues" around the UK, the corporation explained, per the BBC.

On 23/01/2023 at 06:28, gcreptile said:

Martha Argerich, among the greatest, if not the greatest living pianist, cancels all further concerts because of heart problems:

https://theviolinchannel.com/pianist-martha-argerich-cancels-performances/

She also canceled a couple of concerts late last year, but appeared to support Daniel Barenboim in between.

According to this, she basically took a break pursuant to Dr. Zorders, and is presently rescheduling a few performances.  So I'd toss her name into the bin a couple years unless you are gcreptile or arghton who must have reams of paper and names/dates/ailments.

• Like 1

Niel Immelman was a South African pianist who died aged 78, he lived in the United Kingdom, specialized in Czech piano music and made commercial recordings of piano works by Josef Suk and Vítězslav Novak, for the Meridian label. His four CD recordings of Suk's complete piano works were the first complete commercial cycle recorded, he has regularly served as a member of the jury in several international piano competitions

https://www.theviolinchannel.com/pianist-niel-immelman-has-died-aged-78/

American pianist Max Morath (Wikidead at 96

image.png.b4c1e219d25db1c90e8e63b57aff3671.png

• Like 3