Godot

Significant Others

There's been a bit of chat about people using big words and overuse of certain words here. What words or phrases would you happily see discarded in to the dictionary shredder (note careful avoidance of word filter)?

Significant is a bete noir of Handrejka. Bete noir might be somebody else's bete noir. Top of my list is in tandem meaning one behind the other, but frequently misused, particularly by sports writers, as a phrase for a partnership.

Tic-tac

Touch base

Management speak makes me want to smash stuff.

It's not a real word, but I hate ' lol '.

"Should of"

"Could of"

People (mis)using "literally" when they mean virtually.

"Yous" for you (plural).

Pronouncing the letter H as haych

People from somewhere other than the USA using the letter Zee instead of Zed.

... how many more am I allowed?

Wife.

Anything written in comic sans

Ooh la la, where to start? Personally I hate the use of 'we' and 'our' in scientifc papers. I also hate 'important' and 'interesting' as words to describe "our" work. In fact anything my boss likes to put in I try to take out. I let him have the odd one or two per manuscript depending on my mood and who is first author. Life is after all about compromise. In general I hate editing and proof reading but I have no choice, the manuscripts but no additional bucks stop here.

Oh and please don't forget 'nice'. It can be employed for a coastal city in France juxtaposed with a certain coastal city in England, nothing else.

(Yes reluctantly I admit it works for that city too, filter man :unsure: )

Good day to everyone.

People who mispronounce the simple three letter word "ASK", replacing it with either "arks" or "axe", eat your heart out Dougie Hawkins.

Also people who say "hung" instead of "hanged" and people who can't distinguish between "its" and "it's". :unsure:

Good day to everyone.

People who mispronounce the simple three letter word "ASK", replacing it with either "arks" or "axe", eat your heart out Dougie Hawkins.

Also people who say "hung" instead of "hanged" and people who can't distinguish between "its" and "it's". :unsure:

Are you well hanged? :P

Good day to everyone.

Are you well hanged? :P

Walked right into that one...

So well "hung" I hanged myself with it. I also have a large ego.

Anything written in comic sans

Ooh la la, where to start? Personally I hate the use of 'we' and 'our' in scientifc papers. I also hate 'important' and 'interesting' as words to describe "our" work. In fact anything my boss likes to put in I try to take out. I let him have the odd one or two per manuscript depending on my mood and who is first author. Life is after all about compromise. In general I hate editing and proof reading but I have no choice, the manuscripts but no additional bucks stop here.

Oh and please don't forget 'nice'. It can be employed for a coastal city in France juxtaposed with a certain coastal city in England, nothing else.

(Yes reluctantly I admit it works for that city too, filter man :unsure: )

Christ on a bike! Those belgians really are sex mad, no wonder you cant get bugger all done there, monkey.

I detest the Americanisms creeping ( or should that be galloping ) into and, like an infestation, destroying the rich crop of our language.

On phrase in particular boils my urine. "Get off my case" is the culprit.

WTF is it meant to mean? Who has a case? Briefcase? Suitcase? why should one get off of it?

F'ucking stupid.

Football analysts' cliches:

tempo

All credit to...

To be fair

Unbelievable (Alan Hansen)

No disrespect to...

disappointing

Partner.

Agreed, I hate the way this word suddenly got hijacked, and is now assumed to mean the person one might be having sex with on a regular basis. What are we now supposed to call the person one runs a business with, or the person one might dance or skate with?

There are perfectly good words like husband, wife, spouse etc, and for the unmarried, there are some lovely words out there like paramour and concubine. Bring those back, say I.

challenging

issues

My complaint is that the language seems to be losing its sting. It seems we are tiptoeing around words which might appear even mildly frightening or insulting. For instance, you would say Madame Defarge finds math 'challenging' but never Mdf is so thick she can barely make change. And the psychopath who is terrorizing everyone on the bus is not a raving lunatic, he has 'issues'.

LFN, if 'Christ on a bike' were coined today it would be 'Christ on a bike wearing kneepads, a helmet, and a medical alert bracelet!' It's the kindergartenization of America, I tell yers!

So with all due respect, get off my case, and keep your eyes on the western shore. It may be headed your way! :unsure:

Partner.

Agreed, I hate the way this word suddenly got hijacked, and is now assumed to mean the person one might be having sex with on a regular basis. What are we now supposed to call the person one runs a business with, or the person one might dance or skate with?

There are perfectly good words like husband, wife, spouse etc, and for the unmarried, there are some lovely words out there like paramour and concubine. Bring those back, say I.

They haven't quite got the same ring as fuckbuddy though.

with all due respect

Isn't this a phrase that means exactly the opposite of what it says? As in: with all due respect, i.e. go f'uck yourself. That's my reading whenever I see it.

I think yous is all right as long as it's spelled "youz", but that's just me.

challenging

issues

My complaint is that the language seems to be losing its sting. It seems we are tiptoeing around words which might appear even mildly frightening or insulting. For instance, you would say Madame Defarge finds math 'challenging' but never Mdf is so thick she can barely make change. And the psychopath who is terrorizing everyone on the bus is not a raving lunatic, he has 'issues'.

LFN, if 'Christ on a bike' were coined today it would be 'Christ on a bike wearing kneepads, a helmet, and a medical alert bracelet!' It's the kindergartenization of America, I tell yers!

So with all due respect, get off my case, and keep your eyes on the western shore. It may be headed your way! :unsure:

I quite agree Madame.

Dont be fooled about good ole Britain, our political correctness and health and safety is totally out of control.

Children,in some schools, no longer play games where there are winners and losers, only games where no f'ucker can possibly lose are allowed. This allows, naturally, children never to feel the pain and disappointment of defeat and loss.

Very handy when they grow up and join the dog eat dog world.

I blame those headmistresses ( Principals to you ) who wander aimlessley around their schools, tits drooping down to their ankles hawking "Julie loves Jane, a lesbo love story" ( or summat) to classes of 6 year olds.

We are all doomed.

Some more words/phrases:

Quality posting

Diversity

Multiculturalism

Social deprivation

No win, no fee

The phrase I hate most is 'the bottle's empty'. :unsure:

I don't care what y'all are fixin' to say, I'm going to keep saying "y'all" and "fixin' to."

Like LFN, the general "Americanisation" of the British-English-speaking world.

Words like "Buddy" instead of "Mate"

Kids rolling their eyes and drawling "whateverrrr..." They even use an accent when doing it, just like they've seen at the flicks.

Schoolgirls injecting "like" into any given sentence at seemingly random intervals.

And while I'm at it, fake Cockney, or Mockney, accents like Jamie Fuckknuckle. ... I can't be bovvered, one-two-free, etc.

Strewth it's about time Aussie kids brought back some good old Aussie colloquialisms.

Solutions when used by crappy corporates like this.

:blink: I work for a crappy corporation and the last word of the acronym for their name is 'Solutions'.

:blink: I work for a crappy corporation and the last word of the acronym for their name is 'Solutions'.

I work for a crappy corporation that claims to sell "solutions."

I work for a crappy corporation that claims to sell "solutions."

I work for a crappy corporation, that requires the services of crappy corporations that claim to sell solutions, specifically because of the excellent problems I create.