Garn2

The Simpsons

A producer of the earlier Simpsons seasons J Michael Mendel has died at 54

On 23/06/2009 at 15:31, Garn2 said:

James Lipton, 82

James Lipton has died at 93

Lot of people have floated the "Julie Kavner has throat cancer" theory in recent years, but this clip is the first that makes me think there's something to those rumours.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Lot of people have floated the "Julie Kavner has throat cancer" theory in recent years, but this clip is the first that makes me think there's something to those rumours.

Maybe doing that husky voice for over 30 years has had its affect 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

Maybe doing that husky voice for over 30 years has had its affect 

Yeah, I think that’s all it is. Her voice as Marge has declined slowly and quite consistently. If it was an illness like cancer,

it would change more suddenly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Just looking at the comments about this on several Simpsons forums.

Agree with them that the joke in the sketch is that Marge can't sing. The fact that Marge's voice sounds totally normal when she says the following line "You're home." suggests Kavner has no real problems doing the voice to same way she always has. 

Twitter storm in a teacup. Next.

• Like 2

^^ Poor Spade. A Scott Thorson gambit really has no staying power on DL in 2020...

• Like 1

Got to admit - got super scared that one of the main voice actors had passed when I saw this thread bumped. 

But yeah, since her normal voice is fine, I guess they were just trying to joke about her lack of singing voice.

• Like 1

Another Simpsons regular guest star gone.

RIP Mrs. Glick (Cloris)!

Alice_Glick_Unlock.png.bedc41b502d36e72885a30b63d295559.png

Marc Wilmore, who wrote 11 post-classic era episodes and was a producer on the show for 14 years, has died aged 57. Apparently from COVID. 

Follows David Richardson, mentioned elsewhere, who wrote season 5's "Homer Loves Flanders", who died earlier this month. 

• Like 1

Show can't go on much longer now. I watched a recent episode and it's very clear that Julie Kavner can't do the Marge voice anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Show can't go on much longer now. I watched a recent episode and it's very clear that Julie Kavner can't do the Marge voice anymore. 

It's been this bad for a few seasons now.

2 hours ago, Arsewipe said:

Family Guy is far superior.

Family Guy would be the least funny thing to have ever happened, were it not for South Park.

Edited by TQR
Unnecessary, foolish, crass comparison removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 3
  • Facepalm 3

40 minutes ago, TQR said:

Family Guy would be the least funny thing to have ever happened, were it not for South Park and the holocaust.

Comparing the Simpson and South Park to the holocaust?

Wheres your empathy?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Family Guy would be the least funny thing to have ever happened, were it not for South Park and the holocaust.

TQR has been on the mulled wine! 

• Haha 2

Nah you’re right, that was over the line. My apologies. That wasn’t very Christmassy.

Family Guy is distressingly bad, mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, TQR said:

Nah you’re right, that was over the line. My apologies. That wasn’t very Christmassy.

Family Guy is distressingly bad, mind.

Family Guy is dire. Probably one of the least funny things I’ve been forced to watch over the years.

I very much rate South Park, and The Simpsons was good from 1989 until around the early to mid-2000s.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

God I hate Family Guy. 

And you can chalk the downfall in quality of The Simpsons to when they started trying to be like Family Guy. 

(Although, after much online fanfare, I've seen some of the more recent Simpsons episodes and, while its not 90s Simpsons level, which is genuinely on a list of all time great TV shows, it's pretty decent by modern TV standards. That Death Note piss take was incredibly well done.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is a rumor circling around that Harry Shearer has suffered a stroke.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Timm McCoy 3h have a very reliable source, that my dear friend, Harry Shearer voice of Simpsons Ûharacters and the bassist for Spinal Tap, suffered an apparent stroke live on air today. No more info at this moment, he started slurring his speech and then the station when dark and came back on to different broadcasting. will fill you in when more comes in. My info is provided by a close dear friend of Harry's. Philip Proctor Barret Hansen Jamie Alcroft'

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

There is a rumor circling around that Harry Shearer has suffered a stroke.

Denied.

• Like 2