Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

I dunno my man, if your idea of venturing outside of the London bubble is Boris Johnson's Telegraph column, I think you've been worked into a shoot.

Boris Johnson is mouthing off to make headlines and bolster his leadership campaign. I don't have strong feelings on a burka ban either way, I just think the outrage on the topic is ridiculous. It's a legitimate debate to be had, but the media seems intent on causing a furore around it to stifle the arguments - in much a similar way they did regarding immigration for years previous to the EU referendum and look how that blew up. The point was, whether you like Johnson (I don't) or not, the views he expressed are in touch with the majority of Britain (according to that Sky Poll). 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Boris Johnson is mouthing off to make headlines and bolster his leadership campaign. I don't have strong feelings on a burka ban either way, I just think the outrage on the topic is ridiculous. It's a legitimate debate to be had, but the media seems intent on causing a furore around it to stifle the arguments - in much a similar way they did regarding immigration for years previous to the EU referendum and look how that blew up. The point was, whether you like Johnson (I don't) or not, the views he expressed are in touch with the majority of Britain (according to that Sky Poll). 

A fair point but another thing driving this is his clear aim to be leader of his party and Prime Minister. However much the lowest-common-denominator stuff plays well in a poll he has two serious problems ahead. Firstly, the shit storm he's unleashed here exposes the fact he's apparently on holiday and unavailable and someone will doubtless point out either now or in the future that he doesn't look much like a leader at this moment and - in any case - most successful leaders have been obliged to be inclusive. Even David Cameron worked hard to make the Conservatives a home for hoodies, gays etc. Cameron was mocked for how plausible he made that sound but he clearly was trying to be inclusive. Secondly, the Conservatives have a history of turning on the apparent leaders in waiting (especially those who've blatantly tried to oust the current leader). Heseltine's moment should have come when Thatcher was deposed but so many were against him that Major was installed despite the slender track record by comparison. So too Cameron arriving quickly to ensure that the Europhile Kenneth Clark (who made the "boy oh boy have you kept me waiting" joke about being the leader in waiting) was never going to lead them.

Rant over

But Boris isn't going to die soon IMHO.

• Like 1

If Boris ever became PM, this book will look a bit dated.

418-iMRpbQL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9 hours ago, msc said:

If Boris ever became PM, this book will look a bit dated.

418-iMRpbQL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought that book for 10p in The Works during a clearout. There are some interesting counter-factuals but there is a seriously disturbed atheist wank fantasy about The Assassination of Pope Benedict. 

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I bought that book for 10p in The Works during a clearout. There are some interesting counter-factuals but there is a seriously disturbed atheist wank fantasy about The Assassination of Pope Benedict. 

The first book  - Prime Minister Portillo - was quite good, ending with a hilarious bit by Iain Dale about the Tories winning the 2001 election.

Mind you, it also has a bizarre character by Bernard Ingham on Michael Heseltine over Westland, sadly for Ingham the 30 year rule produced a bunch of document which suggested he was deliberately talking bollocks. Imagine!

• Like 1

Now an investigation into BoJo.This must make a leadership challenge inevitable now.

Ready to become Prime Minister when Tezza steps down.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ready to become Prime Minister when Tezza steps down.

We're doomed, doomed I'm telling you, doomed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

After his wine spilling episode, things seem to get worse for Boris as this never aired interview when he was Foreign Secretary has come to light:

• Like 2

And so it came to pass that a silver haired fat Tory took us into Europe in 1973, and now a gold haired fat Tory will...perhaps...take us out.

Both were and will be responsible for civil disorder, increases in unemployment, perhaps even increased power cuts. Both had or have breathtaking optimism, unmarried when "elected".

It's just a little bit of history repeating.....

Boris is PM?  FFS.

• Haha 1

You know the old saying we get "more like America everyday".

I think we made it today.

I give him six months. I predicted TM right.

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I give him less if Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe dies in prison in Iran.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

The first 100 days take him to Halloween and his deadline to leave Europe.

Six months looks ambitious to me

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Intends to live to at least 2050.

Spencer Perceval intended to live a long time too, didn't see his 50th birthday

Politicians sometimes piss off the wrong people

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Spencer Perceval intended to live a long time too, didn't see his 50th birthday

Politicians sometimes piss off the wrong people

Boris has done well to survive this long.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Boris has done well to survive this long.

Aye, has he made a statement about increasing the powers of the Child Support Agency yet?

• Like 1

Oh aye and...currently top of the Sickipedia:

Can't see Boris staying at no 10 for very long. A Paki is moving next door to him

• Haha 2

Bawjaws is in Biarritz.

Which is surprising.

Because he looks like there's plenty of Biarritz in him.

• Like 1