Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

Thatcher only went for the job when Keith Joseph withdrew after the cycle of depravity speech.

23 hours ago, Toast said:

I fervently hope so.

Exactly, the poisoned chalice would be in someone else's hands.

I think it's highly unlikely  Sunak will be away from the treasury  before any difficult  controversial decisions  have to be made.

Yes there are whispers to the contrary  but I still see Boris Johnson being the prime minister at the time of the next general election. Boris Johnsons charms don't really work on me but they do seem to work on a substantial number of swing voters and most tory mps deep down understand that and why that is a clear political asset.

Just seen your  reaction  @Toast don't  be sad! I am not expressing support for Johnson but scepticism  mps will ditch him . However I think the whole of government is in for a rocky ride in the next  few years and Sunak facing political accountability for any decisions   he makes at the treasury and not just the positive stuff might well make him a better all round politician.

Political tumult is in the air though and the political  benefit of the vaccine bounce is on borrowed time.

Just my humble opinion!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, msc said:

Yeah, I think so. For all the jokes about magical money trees, a lot of the stuff done during pandemic has a price tag - especially as it was done a lot of the time without any forward planning. Plus there's other issues on the horizon. Must stock up on tins this week...

Sunak is very good at basking in the good publicity and doesn't like the bad stuff, like how his big Eat Out plan last summer helped usher in a new covid wave. The shine's going go off him very quickly when he's not handing people money. Well, other people. I got none of it, the bastard...

Devils advocate - the way Boris JOHNSON (happy, @The Quim Reaper :D) reacted to the Gove announcement by basically going "Woe is me", crying, and pulling out (not something he does a lot, by looks of things) of the leadership contest showed me exactly why he was unsuited to the job of Prime Ministers. A good PM doesn't wait for the job to come to them, they grab it. They'd have gone "Right, fucketybye Gove!" and then plotted to crush him in the leadership contest. He had enough friendly MPs onside and the membership, he just lacked the work ethic and effort.

And he still fucking well does.

This is why "great Prime Ministers we never had" Rab Butler didn't deserve it - you get 3 or 4 chances for the job and don't make the move, that's your fault. Ditto Dave Miliband. Whereas Thatcher took on Heath when it "wasn't the time" and undone most of the Tory heavyweights of the time by going for the jugular. She wanted it, she got it as a Cabinet outsider.

Boris Johnson wants the plaudits and praise and historical praise of a Thatcher, Attlee or Churchill, but doesn't want to put in the actual work required to get there. And it was self-evident from 2001 or so on, but underlined in marker pen during that 2016 election. 

Great Post!

An excerpt of the Express obit:

Mr Johnson previously described his mother as  the “supreme authority” in his family and has credited her with instilling in him the equal value of every human life.

He clearly didn’t pay attention to her in the slightest, but she tried. May she rest in peace.

• Like 2

I am a bit surprised she was seemingly never picked in any pool. While her death was sudden she had Parkinson’s for nearly 40 years and was reported to be frail the other year. 

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I am a bit surprised she was seemingly never picked in any pool. While her death was sudden she had Parkinson’s for nearly 40 years and was reported to be frail the other year. 

I believe she was in the DDP in 2018.

• Like 1

She died knowing her son was a feckless , stupid cunt who's incompetence has brought the UK and its fundamental rights to its knees.

• Like 1

I met her on several occasions. A lovely lady, and a respectable artist in her own right so it upsets me that the media have to make the story of her death all about Boris. I have one of her paintings in my living room, she came over to hang it and we had tea and biscuits. 

• Like 7

Where was Boris as COVID swept through Europe, particularly killing thousands of Italians on its way to our shores? On holiday.

Where was Boris as the Taliban swept across Afghanistan and about to take Kabul? On holiday.

Where is Boris as furlough ends, UC increase is scrapped, fuel prices threaten to close many businesses and a NI tax hike about to come into force? You guessed it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10076119/Boris-heads-Marbella-Supporters-say-hes-led-UK-Covid-break.html

I'm sure he'll have a lovely time. 

Don't know or care if it has been brought up elsewhere.

The coward prince of comedy failed to show for the debate on the Standards Debacle last week involving his pal Owen Paterson. So where was he? Walking round a hospital in Northumberland.

Aww, that's lovely.

Except he stormed through the corridors meeting staff MASKLESS.

Just stating the facts again. Make your own mind up about the "loveable moptop".

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Make your own mind up about the "loveable moptop".

He's a bellend

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sounds fucking terrible at the despatch box today.

That wasn't the case when he was giving interviews this morning (did notice then his herpes simplex was flaring up). 

Summat up, or a precursor to him pulling out of PMQs this week?

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sounds fucking terrible at the despatch box today.

That wasn't the case when he was giving interviews this morning (did notice then his herpes simplex was flaring up). 

Summat up, or a precursor to him pulling out of PMQs this week?

You make it sound like one of the weans tricks! "Cough cough cough (fake coughs) I am clearly too ill for school, Dad. Cough cough cough"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

You make it sound like one of the weans tricks! "Cough cough cough (fake coughs) I am clearly too ill for school, Dad. Cough cough cough"

I'm actually worried about the apparent deterioration in his health since this morning.

(I'm kinda hoping it's something long and lingering though, the less we see of him, the better I feel!).

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm actually worried about the apparent deterioration in his health since this morning.

(I'm kinda hoping it's something long and lingering though, the less we see of him, the better I feel!).

Double-edged sword, deputy PM is Dominic Raab.

• Haha 3

shutterstock_622383875+%25281%2529.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Do you want me to make a prediction ?

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Do you want me to make a prediction ?

I think, tbf, if it was put to a vote, we'd like you to shut the fuck up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • Angry 1

Sounds a lot better today at PMQs.

At which he has metaphorically and repeatedly been booted in the balls by the Opposition and the Speaker. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Sounds a lot better today at PMQs.

At which he has metaphorically and repeatedly been booted in the balls by the Opposition and the Speaker. :lol:

Hoyle finally channelled his inner Bercow today. 

• Like 2

Worth noting how many gaps there were in the Tory backbenches for PMQs. If they lose the Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election he's gone right?

55 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Worth noting how many gaps there were in the Tory backbenches for PMQs. If they lose the Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election he's gone right?

This is a tough one. We could still be three years out from  a general election and they might want to see whether they can weather the storm.  It then comes down to factions.

He is never going to lose a vote of no confidence in the commons so he will have to be ousted by internal Tory machinations. He is in a pincer movement of potential enemies. There are the residual one nation and old school Tories who will bemoan the state of Brexit and Tax rises and then there are the ERG types who are probably livid that they are going to take their snouts out of the consultancy trough. 

I think it is the later group who are more likely to write to the Chairman of the 1922 committee and would the two factions come together to get rid of Johnson when they would have wildly different opinions about who should replace him.

Because Johnson supported Brexit to basically further his career he is not committed to the ideology of Brexit and so he can probably reach across better to the one nation Tories than someone like Gove.

From the countries point of view getting rid of Johnson is just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. To get rid of the stink of corruption the whole Government needs to go

• Like 3