Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Before would have the maximum effect IMO. 

It would however it would still be very effective for them to be released whilst the Tories are licking their wounds.

Chris Bryant gleefully sums up the state of play. I could tell how much he loved announcing  "he`s toast".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I agree Hunt is the most likely candidate to take over as PM. I definitely think it wont be someone in the cabinet as they have clung on for so long they will go down with the ship at this point. I do think other former Ministers can`t be counted out such as Mark Harper and Tobias Ellwood. Wouldn`t surprise me if Sir Graham Brady resigned a chairman of the 1922 committee  ran for leader and won as  a unity candidate.

Hmm, Tobias Ellwood as a John Major type leader isn't an idea I've heard mooted before (and who knows if he'd even consider it, he seems to have a sense of his own perspective, ujnlike most of those benches) and something like that might be their best shot right now. 

Jeremy Hunt, I think is only popular as an alternative right now because he's so out of the limelight the publics currently forgotten how much they hated the guy...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I agree Hunt is the most likely candidate to take over as PM. I definitely think it wont be someone in the cabinet as they have clung on for so long they will go down with the ship at this point. I do think other former Ministers can`t be counted out such as Mark Harper and Tobias Ellwood. Wouldn`t surprise me if Sir Graham Brady resigned a chairman of the 1922 committee  ran for leader and won as  a unity candidate.

Truss and Raab will definitely go for the leadership but they will fall flat on their faces and mess up their campaigns spectacularly and swiftly.

Just seen an analysis on Twitter whereby there is a cabal forming around Jeremy Hunt to essential hobble Tom Tugendhat not that they do not want him as leader but there is a concern that if it comes down to a choice between Tom Tugendhat and Liz Truss the membership would opt for Liz Truss.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

That actually looks more like Fabricunt.

btw I'm uncomfortable about these assertions that Boris Johnson is me.  He isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sky reporting he's going to reshuffle his Cabinet - AGAIN.

Zelenskyy as a Special Advisor? Mr Benn's shopkeeper as dressmaker to Priti Patel? 

Christ in a bucket, when are they getting rid of the liability?

• Like 2

50 more fixed penalty notices announced, no details of who is getting one atm. 

Just - like - hoisting this thread so's we can speculate and comment. I'm thinking the 1922 Committee letters rapidly reach a tipping point if Bojo's confirmed as fined for a second time - his current statesmanlike posturing won't matter. 

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

50 more fixed penalty notices announced, no details of who is getting one atm. 

Just - like - hoisting this thread so's we can speculate and comment. I'm thinking the 1922 Committee letters rapidly reach a tipping point if Bojo's confirmed as fined for a second time - his current statesmanlike posturing won't matter. 

BBC says not.

"Neither the PM nor Mrs Johnson are among those to be fined this time."

2 hours ago, Toast said:

BBC says not.

"Neither the PM nor Mrs Johnson are among those to be fined this time."

This time, they're apparently still dealing with the first four of twelve events under investigation. It's enough to drive those under investigation to drink!

Interesting Panorama tonight which presented a vision of Number 10 that's fairly true to the cartoonish pictures of Bojo as Louis XVI, can't say I was shocked and he's still got the likes of IDS espousing opinions about his unique leadership skills. 

Not much, apparent, hunger for Red Wall sitters or similar to run in with letters to the 1922 Committee. 

I'm - currently - thinking he limps on past this but doesn't see out the term, or even this year because he can't help himself and some further shit will be flying from the metaphorical fan soon. 

What do our other readers think?

I think they will stick by by.I underestimated the amount of limp wristed sycophants he has in his ranks.I still think the tories will get rid of him but only when it is too late for their careers.

I don't think attending a rather tame party is a reason to fire a PM. If it was a Frank Bough-style party, then yes.

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I don't think attending a rather tame party is a reason to fire a PM. If it was a Frank Bough-style party, then yes.

No. Lying about it though, on so many occasions and amongst so many other things, is game over for any high office, or at least should be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TQR said:

No. Lying about it though, on so many occasions and amongst so many other things, is game over for any high office, or at least should be.

Yeah, the "misleading parliament" bit could be the killer. Basically the silence of most Conservative MPs atm is deafening on this. They're all waiting for Sue Gray though a few hours from now they'll likely all be waiting for each other. There's clearly no hunger for a leadership contest and with Sunak conspicuously on the Sunday Times Rich List as the cost of living becomes the big political issue the whole succession thing is complicated because Sunak was likely the leading contender a few months back. Truss - apparently - has distanced as many people as she's won over with her "Fizz with Liz" events though her blatant attempts to imitate Thatcher would likely be useful if she made the final two in a ballot and it was left to the white, 70+ mob around the country who actually are voting members. Interesting times, or summat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TQR said:

I've been away from the UK for a long long time, but any leader that doesn't steal millions or threaten his opponents is definitely in the top 50% of world leaders ethically speaking, probably higher. In terms of lies, that's pretty much par for the course for a politician, you don't get to the top through honesty and upstanding behaviour. The one that I really couldn't stand is Theresa May with her citizens of nowhere speech and habit of making everything as depressing as possible.

13 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

I've been away from the UK for a long long time, but any leader that doesn't steal millions or threaten his opponents is definitely in the top 50% of world leaders ethically speaking, probably higher. In terms of lies, that's pretty much par for the course for a politician, you don't get to the top through honesty and upstanding behaviour. The one that I really couldn't stand is Theresa May with her citizens of nowhere speech and habit of making everything as depressing as possible.

So Johnson the liar is fine because he’s not Putin, but May was unacceptable because she was beige.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Truss

A truly terrifying thought - it's saying A LOT but if this is the choice I'd stick with Boris.

In fact given all the names above and asked to rank them as PM of our country I think I'd go

Boris, Sunak, May, Putin, Truss.

Totally depressing.

I think even if you said MPs aren't paid enough to get the right quality all you'd get is more career politicians desperate for power to secure their massive wadge and the lying and cheating and being pretty useless wouldn't improve.

Feels like there must be a better way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

A truly terrifying thought - it's saying A LOT but if this is the choice I'd stick with Boris.

In fact given all the names above and asked to rank them as PM of our country I think I'd go

Boris, Sunak, May, Putin, Truss.

Totally depressing.

I think even if you said MPs aren't paid enough to get the right quality all you'd get is more career politicians desperate for power to secure their massive wadge and the lying and cheating and being pretty useless wouldn't improve.

Feels like there must be a better way.

Running out of options if  "every Tory is a useless cunt" tbh. :lol:

Jokes aside, I am a great believer in crap governments earning the right to be sacked by the voter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Running out of options if  "every Tory is a useless cunt" tbh. :lol:

Jokes aside, I am a great believer in crap governments earning the right to be sacked by the voter.

My concern is the sheer amount of damage that they are doing in the interim including dismantling the infra-structure of democracy which could hold them to account.

In some ways this does have the feel of the Major years when almost everything went wrong for the government and the public came to the conclusion that 13 years on the opposition benches was the right solution.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My concern is the sheer amount of damage that they are doing in the interim including dismantling the infra-structure of democracy which could hold them to account.

In some ways this does have the feel of the Major years when almost everything went wrong for the government and the public came to the conclusion that 13 years on the opposition benches was the right solution.

A fair point. To be fair to Major everything went wrong because Thatcher had formed a road block to anyone hell-bent on the top job and Major got it largely because the machinations amongst the other big beasts meant they scuppered each others' chances. Major spent five thankless years trying to do a good job in impossible circumstances, give or take the odd bunk up with Edwina Currie. 

Johnson - by contrast - is batting off shit of his own making. Even if we shelve whether or not he believed in Brexit (i.e. genuinely thought we'd be better off outside the EU) we're now seeing the Good Law Project taking on the Met over their handling of the Partygate investigation, ask any local journalist in a tory seat in the south if they can get hold of the local MP and you'll likely find the MP is unvailable, and parliament in general is easily as far down in public opinion as it was during the expenses scandal. All things that weren't happening in July 2019 when Bojo took over. There's no obvious move amongst the back benches to move him out, though.

News conference at 15-30

My best guess = "I get it (just like I got it all the other times), I'm sorry, no truly I am, now we should all move on, pull together (and shut the fuck up about me resigning)"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

It’s chilling but I see what you mean.

In the event of a Johnson resignation the alternative will almost certainly be worse, Tom Tugend being the only exception I can think of.

The whole circus needs to fall, not just the clown.

• Like 2

Waffling like fuck in the press conference. 

I would report in more detail but I'm desperately seeking a new waste bin since the usual  one is full of fresh sick!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

ask any local journalist in a tory seat in the south if they can get hold of the local MP and you'll likely find the MP is unvailable

Ours is supposed to be coming over to light the Jubilee beacon, or summat, so there's an opportunity.

Mind you, the only other time she attended a function in our village somebody dropped dead, so we'll see if there's a pattern.

• Like 1

I mean, there's a list a mile long already of how shite he is. So instead of making that list, in summary:

"From Let The Bodies Pile High To Let The Bottles Pile High".

<_<

• Like 2