Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Wow what a “bitter and unfunny” thread :P

It’s a good point that many will be waiting for the Tories to lose the by-elections (23rd June) before going all out as a Johnson opponent, particularly given that they’d have to wait a year for another confidence vote if he wins it. I wouldn’t be surprised if the threshold either has already been met or will be this week, though.

Sunday Times today reporting some rebels reckon the letter count is 67 - that sounds a bit ambitious, but we're in for a lively few days. Penny Mordaunt apparently intending to stand and a terse comment in the Sunday Times from an MP who isn't a fan saying she has everything a leader needs, except supporters.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sunday Times today reporting some rebels reckon the letter count is 67 - that sounds a bit ambitious, but we're in for a lively few days. Penny Mordaunt apparently intending to stand and a terse comment in the Sunday Times from an MP who isn't a fan saying she has everything a leader needs, except supporters.

Blimey, Penny Mordaunt…I’d genuinely forgotten she existed. Tom Tugend is also known to have thrown his hat into the ring, having done so at the first sniff of partygate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Blimey, Penny Mordaunt…I’d genuinely forgotten she existed. Tom Tugend is also known to have thrown his hat into the ring, having done so at the first sniff of partygate.

Tugend might be a good shout if it comes to an immediate leadership election because he's not tainted by being part of the current administration. Hunt - supposedly - favourite but unwilling to give it a go right away. Read another observation from George Osbourne who thinks power has to be taken, rather than awaited. Meaning, Hunt may not get his moment if it all tumbles within a few days and they need a leader urgently. 

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh no, you don't mean even more daunting times ahead do you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TQR said:

Tugenhadt was very quick to slap down Tobias Ellwood's comments about rejoining the single market this week which I took to indicate that he did not want the one Nation Tory vote to be split in any potential contest

• Like 1

A brilliantly accurate (or bitter and unfunny) thread here about all the potential candidates to replace the putrid blancmange in chief:

• Like 2

Press release from Sir Gnashers:

DA4CF305-063D-4677-BB16-1998C2A88048.thumb.jpeg.66c3fd8dbd4bedf445b930ad9c29a639.jpeg

Nice little BBC graphic explaining the possibilities

6812c79e-9ee6-4113-aef7-34b8d5edfd6f.png

Yeah nice one Iain’s crying now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TQR said:

Yeah nice one Iain’s crying now

Ciaron Jenkins on Twitter also posted that

Tory tweeter ‘Cecilia Bartholomew’ claims to be the chair of her local Conservative branch. A quick search reveals she’s also available as a nun or a hippie.

Link: 

• Haha 5

Re the post above - perhaps the more intereseting development over the day will be the tonnage of parliamentary Tories who aren't in the cabinet who come forward and say he has to stay. Given how many rank and file MPs are astutely avoiding their own local press of late and appear strangely quiet when they usually can't attend the opening of an envelope without tweeting the results and getting their people to alert the press there's now a real pressure because they're not really serving their constituents if they ignore this situation and at the same time loads of them are caught between supporting themselves (i.e. assuming re-election is more likely if they don't have a track record of speaking out in favour of Johnson) and looking like loyal Tories. Since there are no other declared runners, that dilemma will leave a few local MPs exposed today.

• Like 1

Just now, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I'll believe that when they cancel the vote at 6-00pm

Should anyone wish to make some money…

6416DAA5-F360-40FC-AC4A-3D58F12D4656.jpeg

Remember the 1922 committee were preparing to change the rules to a leadership vote being allowed after 6 months if May didn’t set the date of her departure.

• Like 1

I just saw someone suggest that as many as 150 MPs might be planning to vote against Johnson

That might mean that some of the Payroll vote might think that they may be best served jumping ship to the new regime although if there were some coordinated resignations during the day that could put the pressure on .Need 180 to reach the threshold but May was wounded on a two thirds majority

I  think anything over 140 could be fatal anyway

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I just saw someone suggest that as many as 150 MPs might be planning to vote against Johnson

That might mean that some of the Payroll vote might think that they may be best served jumping ship to the new regime although if there were some coordinated resignations during the day that could put the pressure on .Need 180 to reach the threshold but May was wounded on a two thirds majority

I  think anything over 140 could be fatal anyway

He will fight on even if number us 179.

Question as you said is how many on the payroll jump ship .

Then you will have those that vote for him now but may resign to force him out and pile pressure on him later in the parliamentary term.

• Like 1

I think he's hobbled either way now. Thatcher had a vast majority, ten years in office and 10% of the vote for that no name in 1989 was the beginning of the end. Major was hobbled from the moment he had his, May was fecked. This is an event horizon event for a Prime Minister. 

If they back him, it may well be one for the Tory party in government.

• Like 1

John Penrose the Government's anti corruption Tsar has quit his role saying BlowJo is a liar who misled the house.

Let's not forget Boris employed his wife Dido Harding to run test and trace despite having no idea what she was doing.Looks like he can even rely on cronyism.

• Like 2

Also former Minister Jesse Norman has sent a brutal letter of mo confidence and Hunt confirms he will vote against Boris tonight.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

John Penrose the Government's anti corruption Tsar has quit his role saying BlowJo is a liar who misled the house.

Let's not forget Boris employed Dido Harding to run test and trace despite having no idea what she was doing.Looks like he can even rely on cronyism.

Aye

• Like 1

He should have been fired for Brexit, but attending a boring party doesn't seem quite as serious to me as cutting off the biggest trading partner

• Like 1

Apparently Boris Johnson has had his weekly phone call with Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

"It's important even in moments of high stress like this that you take a moment out of your day to reassure someone in a much worse situation than yourself", said the Ukrainian President.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Facepalm 1