Jump to content
Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

Recommended Posts

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

 

I dunno my man, if your idea of venturing outside of the London bubble is Boris Johnson's Telegraph column, I think you've been worked into a shoot.

Boris Johnson is mouthing off to make headlines and bolster his leadership campaign. I don't have strong feelings on a burka ban either way, I just think the outrage on the topic is ridiculous. It's a legitimate debate to be had, but the media seems intent on causing a furore around it to stifle the arguments - in much a similar way they did regarding immigration for years previous to the EU referendum and look how that blew up. The point was, whether you like Johnson (I don't) or not, the views he expressed are in touch with the majority of Britain (according to that Sky Poll). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Boris Johnson is mouthing off to make headlines and bolster his leadership campaign. I don't have strong feelings on a burka ban either way, I just think the outrage on the topic is ridiculous. It's a legitimate debate to be had, but the media seems intent on causing a furore around it to stifle the arguments - in much a similar way they did regarding immigration for years previous to the EU referendum and look how that blew up. The point was, whether you like Johnson (I don't) or not, the views he expressed are in touch with the majority of Britain (according to that Sky Poll). 

 

 

A fair point but another thing driving this is his clear aim to be leader of his party and Prime Minister. However much the lowest-common-denominator stuff plays well in a poll he has two serious problems ahead. Firstly, the shit storm he's unleashed here exposes the fact he's apparently on holiday and unavailable and someone will doubtless point out either now or in the future that he doesn't look much like a leader at this moment and - in any case - most successful leaders have been obliged to be inclusive. Even David Cameron worked hard to make the Conservatives a home for hoodies, gays etc. Cameron was mocked for how plausible he made that sound but he clearly was trying to be inclusive. Secondly, the Conservatives have a history of turning on the apparent leaders in waiting (especially those who've blatantly tried to oust the current leader). Heseltine's moment should have come when Thatcher was deposed but so many were against him that Major was installed despite the slender track record by comparison. So too Cameron arriving quickly to ensure that the Europhile Kenneth Clark (who made the "boy oh boy have you kept me waiting" joke about being the leader in waiting) was never going to lead them.

 

Rant over

 

But Boris isn't going to die soon IMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Boris ever became PM, this book will look a bit dated.

 

418-iMRpbQL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, msc said:

If Boris ever became PM, this book will look a bit dated.

 

418-iMRpbQL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought that book for 10p in The Works during a clearout. There are some interesting counter-factuals but there is a seriously disturbed atheist wank fantasy about The Assassination of Pope Benedict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I bought that book for 10p in The Works during a clearout. There are some interesting counter-factuals but there is a seriously disturbed atheist wank fantasy about The Assassination of Pope Benedict. 

 

The first book  - Prime Minister Portillo - was quite good, ending with a hilarious bit by Iain Dale about the Tories winning the 2001 election.

 

Mind you, it also has a bizarre character by Bernard Ingham on Michael Heseltine over Westland, sadly for Ingham the 30 year rule produced a bunch of document which suggested he was deliberately talking bollocks. Imagine!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now an investigation into BoJo.This must make a leadership challenge inevitable now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready to become Prime Minister when Tezza steps down.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ready to become Prime Minister when Tezza steps down.

We're doomed, doomed I'm telling you, doomed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use