Sign in to follow this  
Vaagheid

Laura Dekker

I made the point when starting the thread on Hilary Lister that ocean going sailing and some of the safety involved at the cutting edge all worked in theory. Just because we've had a few conspicious successes and the boats keep going faster there is an implicit assumption amongst many that the whole thing is safe, it isn't. Younger and younger solo sailers and/or people at the extreme end of disability will - eventually - bring about at least one spectacular disaster or fatality. Interestingly we've been hearing nowt about Ms Lister because her solo circuit of the UK - which was cutting a big corner by going through the Caledonian Canal in the first place - only went from Kent to Cornwall, before sensibly knocking matters on the head. She'll sail from Ramsgate to Dover on Monday in what should have been the final leg. But she'll doubtless be back for another pop.

Maybe, this is not the place to discuss it. But I really believe you don't have the right to let a 13 year old child sail the atlantic ocean on her own. They say she is mentally old enough to do that but at the same time I watch footage of her drifting off (In her mind) during a twenty minute press conference, in the same way I used to drift off as a teenager while sitting in church. I decided to place a post here were people can critize the whole case (even if it's not used that much).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8219443.stm

Not my kid, not my problem.

Maybe she is really good at sailing, but finds press interviews boring...

I may be an over-protective mother, but I worry about letting my 12 year old walk into town, let alone go gallavanting off round the world! These parents must have a screw loose - and when the inevitable happens and she's eaten by a shark, they will smile bravely and say 'she died doing what she loved'. Bollocks. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Edit - I see the courts have intervened - good job too.

I may be an over-protective mother, but I worry about letting my 12 year old walk into town, let alone go gallavanting off round the world! These parents must have a screw loose - and when the inevitable happens and she's eaten by a shark, they will smile bravely and say 'she died doing what she loved'. Bollocks. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Totally agree with you.

Winny, you are a miserable git. <_<

Totally agree with you.

I'm not a parent but I completely agree with you both. It's great the kid has a hobby she's good at but what were the parents thinking? (money and fame probably) Why the constant emphasis on being the first/youngest to do something anyway. Surely sailing solo round the world is still an achievement even if you wait until you're 25 or 30 to do it?

Totally agree with you.

I'm not a parent but I completely agree with you both. It's great the kid has a hobby she's good at but what were the parents thinking? (money and fame probably) Why the constant emphasis on being the first/youngest to do something anyway. Surely sailing solo round the world is still an achievement even if you wait until you're 25 or 30 to do it?

Absolutely. I'm all for encouraging kids to get a hobby and I would hope that I would be as supportive as I could, but within reason. Unfortunately the only hobbies my kids have are moaning, not tidying their bedrooms, wearing too much black make-up and asking me for money. They both excel at the last one :bomb: Actually, I'm not giving them the credit they deserve - one of them does dancing and the other works voluntarily on a local community farm, but they can't come to much harm pirouetting round their handbags or clearing up horseshit. But my point is, surely that is the sort of hobby young kids should have these days, not Extreme Black Eyeliner Application Up Mount Everest.

Back home, but maybe not going home to daddy any more. I get the feeling she's our kind of girl.

Back home, but maybe not going home to daddy any more. I get the feeling she's our kind of girl.

At least she likes to do the unexpected.

In a Letter to the Editor[1] of the Volskrant her grandparents express their concern about the girl and her treatment by the bureaukrautscrats at the Child Welfare Office.

[1] Translation available on request

regards,

Hein

She's at sea now. 2nd Shark Squadron and 32 Narwhal Patrol ("The Tusks") have been alerted.

regards,

Hein

I stopped caring about her a couple of months ago.

I am even thinking of making a exception on next years PNDP for Laura (and i think the deathlist, DDP and CPDP should do the same), there is a clear difference between a child with a deadly disease and a child who goes looking for death.