football_fan

Ideas and Possibilities for 2010

One highly possible candidate I stumbled upon: the oldest sitting member of the House of Lord's, the 97 year old Baron Glenamara. Hasn't voted since 2001 on anything. Good old British democracy. A former labour minister under Harold Wilson and was aparantly notorious as the Postmaster General who went after offshore pirate radio stations, so should definitly get an obit.

I also came across a Lord Carrington, the longest sitting Lord-been there since 1945-but at a mere 90 and with a few speechs in the last year is probably a less likly candidate.

Thanks Ize, I've just signed up for an e-mail alert whenever the good Baron speaks, the deal is they don't alert you more than once a day. Given his track record, I'm not expecting to be spammed. I will - however - share any activity with the DL.

One highly possible candidate I stumbled upon: the oldest sitting member of the House of Lord's, the 97 year old Baron Glenamara. Hasn't voted since 2001 on anything. Good old British democracy. A former labour minister under Harold Wilson and was aparantly notorious as the Postmaster General who went after offshore pirate radio stations, so should definitly get an obit.

I also came across a Lord Carrington, the longest sitting Lord-been there since 1945-but at a mere 90 and with a few speechs in the last year is probably a less likly candidate.

Thanks Ize, I've just signed up for an e-mail alert whenever the good Baron speaks, the deal is they don't alert you more than once a day. Given his track record, I'm not expecting to be spammed. I will - however - share any activity with the DL.

Good spot. The Houses Of Parliament have a "Leave Of Absence Register", which lists peers who do not attend the House of Lords. A few of them are quite young and are possibly off on secondment doing other things, but the rest of them are all pretty ancient and are probably not doing their job for health reasons. Strangely Baron Glenamara is not on the list.

Good spot. The Houses Of Parliament have a "Leave Of Absence Register", which lists peers who do not attend the House of Lords. A few of them are quite young and are possibly off on secondment doing other things, but the rest of them are all pretty ancient and are probably not doing their job for health reasons. Strangely Baron Glenamara is not on the list.

Useful site that. Hapgood is a pick on the DDP for two teams, so they may well be on to something there...

Johnny Almond:

"A supremely versatile musician who contributed to some of the most memorable recordings in history, the British tenor saxophonist has been in the thick of the action in jazz, blues, R&B and rock since the mid-1960s. A jamming buddy with Jimi Hendrix when the guitarist was the toast of swinging London, Almond organized the horn section for the 1969 Rolling Stones hit single "Honky Tonk Women," and accompanied Elton John in the early '70s on one of his U.S. first tours."

I'm not sure that makes him famous enough for a UK obit, but anyway he's suffering from terminal lung cancer. I like it how the article describes him as an "Unknown Legend".

Johnny Almond:

"A supremely versatile musician who contributed to some of the most memorable recordings in history, the British tenor saxophonist has been in the thick of the action in jazz, blues, R&B and rock since the mid-1960s. A jamming buddy with Jimi Hendrix when the guitarist was the toast of swinging London, Almond organized the horn section for the 1969 Rolling Stones hit single "Honky Tonk Women," and accompanied Elton John in the early '70s on one of his U.S. first tours."

I'm not sure that makes him famous enough for a UK obit, but anyway he's suffering from terminal lung cancer. I like it how the article describes him as an "Unknown Legend".

Deffo likely to get coverage fit for CPDP theme team points, but how do I theme him with 'Ten of the Oldest Bastards Alive'

Has been even longer than that for Carrington - he took his seat on his 21st birthday, June 6 1940, so has been in the Lords for more than 69 years now!

Guest WEP

Has been even longer than that for Carrington - he took his seat on his 21st birthday, June 6 1940, so has been in the Lords for more than 69 years now!

And his wife for 67 years died this year: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries...Carrington.html

Talking of ailing peers of the realm, how's about Lady Campbell of Surbiton, recently in the news for her opposition to assisted suicide.

"I tick every box of Lord Falconer's [criteria] to die," she said. "I could go tomorrow and, believe me, I would have no trouble in persuading two doctors. Three years ago two doctors persuaded me it was time for me to go on my way."

Baroness-Campbel_1441600c.jpg

(She's the wheelie on the left btw.)

Lots of rumours on the Aerosmith forum about bassist Tom Hamilton, who came to the attention of DL a few years ago when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He's suffered some sort of relapse and will not be preforming with the band on an upcoming tour.

I thought as soon as Barack Obama was elected President that it wouldn't be too long before someone has a pop at him.

Former footballer John Hartson is n a bad way with cancer. He could be a useful pick for 2010, though he looks riddled with it, so might not last that long.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8151728.stm

Hartson told cancer also in lungs

Former Wales, Arsenal and Celtic striker John Hartson, who is battling cancer, has undergone emergency neurosurgery on his brain.

Doctors have confirmed that the cancer which had already spread to his brain, has now been found in his lungs.

The 34-year-old, capped by Wales 51 times, was diagnosed at the weekend.

He was transferred to Morriston Hospital in Swansea from Singleton Hospital and is in a critical condition after his surgery.

The former footballer underwent emergency neurosurgery to relieve pressure on his brain, a statement from the hospital trust said.

"He is currently being cared for by the critical care team at Morriston and is receiving round-the-clock care aiming to stabilise his condition," the statement said.

"He will resume radiotherapy and chemotherapy as soon as possible."

Hartson was first diagnosed with testicular cancer on Sunday and admitted to Singleton Hospital in Swansea where further tests were carried out.

The father-of-three retired from a glittering career in football in February 2008 and has since worked as a pundit.

His family issued a statement on Tuesday saying that all his close family and friends "are continuing to support John in any way we can".

"He is receiving outstanding care from all the medical and surgical staff and we would like to thank everyone at both Singleton and Morriston, as well as the excellent ambulance staff," the family said.

"We have been overwhelmed by the support and goodwill from many thousands of football fans, players, clubs and sporting figures and we have drawn strength from this support."

The family also requested that the star's privacy, and that of his family, is respected as he continues his hospital treatment.

Officials at Arsenal have said the club is "deeply saddened" by news of his cancer.

The former centre forward joined Arsenal as a teenager from Luton in January 1995 and, in two seasons at Highbury, made 62 appearances, scoring 16 goals.

The player left Arsenal for West Ham United in February 1997 and continued his career with the Hammers, Wimbledon, Coventry City, Celtic, West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City.

"Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to take this opportunity to wish John, together with his family and friends, all the very best in the challenging times that lie ahead. Our thoughts are with you," the statement added.

During his international career, he scored 14 goals before stepping down in February 2006 to concentrate on his club football.

Hartson made his Wales debut in March 1995 in an away match against Bulgaria, often leading the line as a lone striker, until his last game in November 2005 against Cyprus.

Former footballer John Hartson is n a bad way with cancer. He could be a useful pick for 2010, though he looks riddled with it, so might not last that long.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8151728.stm

Hartson told cancer also in lungs

Former Wales, Arsenal and Celtic striker John Hartson, who is battling cancer, has undergone emergency neurosurgery on his brain.

Doctors have confirmed that the cancer which had already spread to his brain, has now been found in his lungs.

The 34-year-old, capped by Wales 51 times, was diagnosed at the weekend.

He was transferred to Morriston Hospital in Swansea from Singleton Hospital and is in a critical condition after his surgery.

The former footballer underwent emergency neurosurgery to relieve pressure on his brain, a statement from the hospital trust said.

"He is currently being cared for by the critical care team at Morriston and is receiving round-the-clock care aiming to stabilise his condition," the statement said.

"He will resume radiotherapy and chemotherapy as soon as possible."

Hartson was first diagnosed with testicular cancer on Sunday and admitted to Singleton Hospital in Swansea where further tests were carried out.

The father-of-three retired from a glittering career in football in February 2008 and has since worked as a pundit.

His family issued a statement on Tuesday saying that all his close family and friends "are continuing to support John in any way we can".

"He is receiving outstanding care from all the medical and surgical staff and we would like to thank everyone at both Singleton and Morriston, as well as the excellent ambulance staff," the family said.

"We have been overwhelmed by the support and goodwill from many thousands of football fans, players, clubs and sporting figures and we have drawn strength from this support."

The family also requested that the star's privacy, and that of his family, is respected as he continues his hospital treatment.

Officials at Arsenal have said the club is "deeply saddened" by news of his cancer.

The former centre forward joined Arsenal as a teenager from Luton in January 1995 and, in two seasons at Highbury, made 62 appearances, scoring 16 goals.

The player left Arsenal for West Ham United in February 1997 and continued his career with the Hammers, Wimbledon, Coventry City, Celtic, West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City.

"Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to take this opportunity to wish John, together with his family and friends, all the very best in the challenging times that lie ahead. Our thoughts are with you," the statement added.

During his international career, he scored 14 goals before stepping down in February 2006 to concentrate on his club football.

Hartson made his Wales debut in March 1995 in an away match against Bulgaria, often leading the line as a lone striker, until his last game in November 2005 against Cyprus.

6 months, that's all we ask... :referee:

Bam Margera of Jackass fame, has reportedly suffered a suspected drugs overdose. 1:30pm sunday afternoon seems like an odd time to be getting bang on it.

Beastie Boy Adam Yauch is suffering from "a very treatable" cancer of the salivary gland.

Don Cornelius wanted to divorce before he dies

http://www.tmz.com/2009/07/20/don-corneliu...t-to-die-alone/

(never heard of the man but if he gets mentioned on TMZ he'll probably is famous enough)

He hosted a show called Soul Train for 22 years. It was one of those shows that appearing on it would really help your career. A bit like if you were on The Tube, Old Grey Whistle Test, Top of The Pops in England.

Frank McCourt, the author of "Angela's Ashes", is suffering from melanoma. :lol:

Frank McCourt has gone in to a hospice and is reported to have only weeks left to live.

He is dead, now.

Guest Bob Loblah

Framk McCourt was a wonderful man.

A great writer too.

May he be in the bosom of the Lord. Amen.

Forever and Ever

Bob Loblah

Frank McCourt, the author of "Angela's Ashes", is suffering from melanoma. :ph34r:

Frank McCourt has gone in to a hospice and is reported to have only weeks left to live.

He is dead, now.

Frank McCourt, the author of "Angela's Ashes", is suffering from melanoma. :ph34r:

He is dead, now.

Here's an interesting little snippet about Frank McCourt's unusual teaching style.

I wish I'd had a teacher like that. :unsure:

Not sure where to post this (as I don't believe he has his own thread), but Iain McColl (RabC Nesbit fame) is supposed to be in remission. I read it in the News of the World a couple of weeks back but there was no online link.

Anyway...if you thought he was a Idea or Possibility for 2010, hes not...