football_fan

Ideas and Possibilities for 2010

Ginger Baker was on Loose Ends the other day and sounded positiviely ghastly. It's difficult to say if he's worse than usual, but he does mention that his lifestyle should have killed him by now. It's worth a listen if only to hear him angrily proclaim to Marcus Chown that the Big Bang Theory is idiotic.

First he nearly gets flattened by a lorry, now he is chasing chavs on his bicycle.

Boris Johnson is surely going to meet a sticky end on that bike of his.

American horseracing trainer Bobby Frankel is suffering from an unspecified type of cancer and was too ill to watch three of his horses appear at last weeks Breeders' Cup race. A couple of months ago the same news source said that "he has been dealing with a respiratory illness", helpfully giving us a clue about the nature of his diagnosis and therefore his likely prognosis. I think that he will die quite soon and am pretty confident that he will get a UK obituary.

Dennis Hopper is battling prostate cancer. A notoriously slow killer, but he might be one to keep an eye on for the years to come.

I wonder how he'd feel if they had to amputate just one of his legs????

Basketball legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, so famous that even some British people have heard of him, is suffering from leukemia.

Guest iain
American horseracing trainer Bobby Frankel is suffering from an unspecified type of cancer and was too ill to watch three of his horses appear at last weeks Breeders' Cup race. A couple of months ago the same news source said that "he has been dealing with a respiratory illness", helpfully giving us a clue about the nature of his diagnosis and therefore his likely prognosis. I think that he will die quite soon and am pretty confident that he will get a UK obituary.

he's dead http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ing/8363212.stm

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I'm not sure of on the mortality or life expectancy of this, but it's certainly put him on my RADAR, if not for for 2010, then maybe sometime after that.

News report here.

Eleanor Mondale's brain cancer has returned. She had operations to remove tumours in 2005 and 2008.

It looks like Eleanor Mondale has beaten her cancer.. at least for now.

James Garner seems to be making an improvement after his stroke, but there doesn't seem to be much supporting evidence...

Either way, both of them are of my DDP 2010 shortlist....

Frank Carson because, er, he is Frank Carson

Paul and Rachel Chandler, the British couple held hostage in Somalia, fear for their lives. I doubt that they'll be executed imminently , but if the British stick to their policy of refusing to pay ransoms and the weeks and months go by, Mr and Mrs Chandler's situation might not have a happy ending. Lots of DDP points if the gamble paid off...

Paul and Rachel Chandler, the British couple held hostage in Somalia, fear for their lives. I doubt that they'll be executed imminently , but if the British stick to their policy of refusing to pay ransoms and the weeks and months go by, Mr and Mrs Chandler's situation might not have a happy ending. Lots of DDP points if the gamble paid off...

BBC News reminded the world that kidnapping is an industry out there and the summary execution of these two might be bad - in the long term - for business. I couldn't quite get my head round the logic, since it's surely the belief that death is probable that prompts the payments. But who am I to argue with the Beeb?

BBC News reminded the world that kidnapping is an industry out there and the summary execution of these two might be bad - in the long term - for business. I couldn't quite get my head round the logic, since it's surely the belief that death is probable that prompts the payments. But who am I to argue with the Beeb?

Perhaps they mean that if the international community stand firm and hit the ignore button, which ultimately means the sacrifice of a few hostages, the Somali piracy industry will suffer. They won't get the money so they can't pay off their subprime mortgage, car repayments and credit card bills. I'm pretty sure they'll just go for the try try try again option mind. I hear Abramovitch has a lot of boats :smiley_f:

Thierry Henry for 2010 list? Doubt he'll survive the IRA snipers in Cape Town.

A bit of common sense from perhaps, an unlikely source.

Not sure about fame, or about survival prospects, but musician Squingy is gravely ill, with a terminall illness, it seems.... Looks young, so could be worth a few DDP points :smiley_f:

May I introduce 2010's Josie Grove...

23-year-old Kristin Hallenga won a Pride of Sickbucket Britain award for her brave fight against Stage IV Breast cancer...

She was put on my 2010 DDP before the programme even finished. :banghead:

Aye, well, there goes yer unique pick bonus!

I'm not too sure how ill she actually is as I can't remember hearing the word 'terminal' being used.

But it must be terminal if she got a Pride of Britain Award...right? :smiley_f:

Worth a punt though, my initial 30-something 'squad' for DDP was a little on the aged side and needed some fresh faces...

I'll do the numbers on her but I think she's getting it licked.

I think she's getting it licked.

Enough about her stress-busting diversions, what about her breast cancer?

Alex Higgins looked close to death's door when he was palying in an oldies tournament a few week ago so I'd like to suggest him.

Johnny Almond:

"A supremely versatile musician who contributed to some of the most memorable recordings in history, the British tenor saxophonist has been in the thick of the action in jazz, blues, R&B and rock since the mid-1960s. A jamming buddy with Jimi Hendrix when the guitarist was the toast of swinging London, Almond organized the horn section for the 1969 Rolling Stones hit single "Honky Tonk Women," and accompanied Elton John in the early '70s on one of his U.S. first tours."

I'm not sure that makes him famous enough for a UK obit, but anyway he's suffering from terminal lung cancer. I like it how the article describes him as an "Unknown Legend".

Deffo likely to get coverage fit for CPDP theme team points, but how do I theme him with 'Ten of the Oldest Bastards Alive'

I'm seriously thinking of picking Johnny Almond for the DDP, but I just can't decide if he's famous enough or not. Can anyone help me? Now I've posted this, he'll probably be dead within 48 hours.

Johnny Almond:

"A supremely versatile musician who contributed to some of the most memorable recordings in history, the British tenor saxophonist has been in the thick of the action in jazz, blues, R&B and rock since the mid-1960s. A jamming buddy with Jimi Hendrix when the guitarist was the toast of swinging London, Almond organized the horn section for the 1969 Rolling Stones hit single "Honky Tonk Women," and accompanied Elton John in the early '70s on one of his U.S. first tours."

I'm not sure that makes him famous enough for a UK obit, but anyway he's suffering from terminal lung cancer. I like it how the article describes him as an "Unknown Legend".

Deffo likely to get coverage fit for CPDP theme team points, but how do I theme him with 'Ten of the Oldest Bastards Alive'

I'm seriously thinking of picking Johnny Almond for the DDP, but I just can't decide if he's famous enough or not. Can anyone help me? Now I've posted this, he'll probably be dead within 48 hours.

Apparently it hasn't taken that long...

I want a 20-something on next year's list. Lohan and Winehouse come to mind. Any support?

I want a 20-something on next year's list. Lohan and Winehouse come to mind. Any support?

Amy Winehouse, from what I hear, (unfortunately) she appears to be on the mend. I read somewhere that she has been drug free for a year.

Amy probably has had several close calls w/ death, particularly due to drugs. Those instances when she was hospitalized certainly had nothing to do w/ reactions to her medication. On the contrary, I think that they definitely have to do w/ her likely overdosing and almost dying from it. Of course, this is pure speculation. But word has it she's actually doing a lot better and may not be dying so tragically young after all.

Lindsay Lohan, now she's an interesting subject. A lot of people are predicting her to be the next major celebrity to die young. They expect her to be the next tragic celebrity death in the mold of Heath Ledger and River Phoenix. While Lindsay no doubt has her personal issues, I am not sure if there is concrete evidence to support her being on the brink of death. I think there was a lot more proof of Britney Spears being on the brink of death than that of Lohan (remember back in early 2008, Britney was hospitalized and reportedly in serious condition. She was taken to the hospital right around the time Heath Ledger died of drug overdose.)

I actually think that between the two, Lindsay Lohan is likely to die first b/c her behavior, at least from what I read in gossip sites like TMZ.com, is certainly heading in a reckless direction. Her film career is in a slump and she's having relationship troubles. I'm not at all surprised to also hear she's fallen off the wagon and back to drinking.

I think it would be interesting to guess who would be the next major celebrity to die tragically young. I too would like to see a 20-something on next year's list.

Those two seem to have their act cleaned up.

I think Pete Docherty would be a much better bet and, as I said a few posts ago, I also think that Alex Higgins will go next year.