Godot

Bricks, The Building Blocks Of Death

It seems to me that bricks, even briquettes, are so ubiquitous in modern life, inspiring art, cinema,

music, cuisine and government policy, that some discussion of their relevance, history and contemporary influence deserves a thread of its own. Some may disagree.
  • Like 1

It seems to me that bricks, even briquettes, are so ubiquitous in modern life, inspiring art, cinema,
music, cuisine and government policy, that some discussion of their relevance, history and contemporary influence deserves a thread of its own. Some may disagree.

In my experience, the finest things in life come in brick form...

P1010128.jpg

May I be the first to salute the Battersea Power Station, made of bricks. Lots of them. Adorning Pink Floyd's album 'Animals' (which incidentally features minimal brick related musical content), it was my welcome to London on a grey March day late last century.

Another of my favourite brick buildings is the brick house made by the third little pig, thwarting the wolf and his goal of creating a housing shortage in the pig market.

I also like the Chrysler Building in New York which contains many, many bricks, although probably quite a few less than the Battersea Power Station.

I've often shat bricks, worked with people as thick as them and been just another one of them.

Bricks, couldn't agree more.

Bricks - my house is made of lots of bricks! Well done bricks.

But my real intent with your wonderfull thread must be to post a link to the largest brick structure I've ever come across.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_Tortugas_National_Park

Took the fast-cat boat from Key West and spent about 3 hours on the little island with a monster of an old US civil war fort - Total Bliss.

Here's one brick edifice that might not last much longer.

:ph34r::D:):angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

No thought to mention chemistry and geology, engineering or even history in your disourse on bricks. I am not impressed.

Without chemistry and geology there would be no brick, now how minimalist is that?

Without engineering there would be no use for the brick, except conceptually on the architects drawing pad.

Without history there'd be no cool dudes from geophys to examine where bricks once were.

Luckily for you guys you've stumbled upon my domain, solid state chemistry basically means I can bore you to death (again) about the fundamentals of bricks should there be any danger of arty farty overload on the simple brick.

Bricks are so marvellous, they've even got there own lane

and have been immortalised in film OzYellowAndRedBrick.JPG

but James May's lego house has now been demolished

:ph34r::D:):angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

No thought to mention chemistry and geology, engineering or even history in your disourse on bricks. I am not impressed.

Without chemistry and geology there would be no brick, now how minimalist is that?

Without engineering there would be no use for the brick, except conceptually on the architects drawing pad.

Without history there'd be no cool dudes from geophys to examine where bricks once were.

Luckily for you guys you've stumbled upon my domain, solid state chemistry basically means I can bore you to death (again) about the fundamentals of bricks should there be any danger of arty farty overload on the simple brick.

I never realised bricks could be so controversial. Of course there's a need to look at hard bricks in addition to their soft underbelly so to speak. But there is plenty of space for this. We shouldn't put all our bricks in one basket (or hod). I would have thought there were enough to go round for everyone. But I don't think bricks in cinema should be dismissed so blithely.

;):angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Missing Carbon there methinks.

Guest Spud

;)

But my real intent with your wonderfull thread must be to post a link to the largest brick structure I've ever come across.

Took the fast-cat boat from Key West and spent about 3 hours on the little island with a monster of an old US civil war fort - Total Bliss.

If MichaelJackson was such a brick can I throw him in the sewage pipe, oh no, htat waould take pollution too far. Is Michael the Brick Jackson really dead or has Eddie Murphy taken on his toughest role yet?

;)

If MichaelJackson was such a brick can I throw him in the sewage pipe, oh no, htat waould take pollution too far. Is Michael the Brick Jackson really dead or has Eddie Murphy taken on his toughest role yet?

I fail to see the connection between Michael Jackson and bricks, or for that matter a sewage pipe. Shouldn't this be in the Michael Jackson thread? Can we try to keep on topic?

1246219061m_SPLASH.jpg

One of my favourite buildings the Einstein Tower has been described, by those that care about such things, as a victory of brick over concrete. Unable to construct it in concrete as originally planned it was brick built, then rendered. Despite having worked mainly with brick and stone (before my bikini inspector job), or perhaps because of, I prefer concrete. Anyone who has poured concrete over reinforcement, watching the mesh slowly disappear, or removed shuttering exposing the fresh concrete will know what I mean. Although the main reason I prefer concrete is that the

are about it.

I am unsure whether I've ever been to Camden.

Now back to topic. I have counted the bricks which were used to make a wall in my hall. There seem to be more on the lower floors than on the upper floors which may have to do with the ceiling being lower on the upper floors than on the lower floors. Well, specifically on the entry level floor which has ceilings which are a good 4 feet taller than on the top floor.

A few times over the years when feeling particularly poverty stricken and resorting to eating chipped paint and plaster soup (which may account for my ramblings) flavored with fennel and catsup from Burger World, I have thought seriously of moving to a lot of land and placing a trailer home there and then to protect myself from viscious winds or storms building a brick structure around and above it.

Now a musical interlude:::: Another brick in the wall-Part II

If that doesn't help you then try this::::: Brick House Muppets

Being concerned that this thread may disappear I got a thinking. Would Oscar Niemeyer have achieved DL status if he had worked primarily in brick? I think not.

Despite their popularity in Western Europe, we could manage quite well without bricks. The same could not be said of concrete.

Whilst this thread should remain as a receptical for all things brick, may I respectfully request that a sub-section exist within this thread for the discussion of other building materials without the fear of being accused of going off topic. To this end I am considering forming Concrete Uses New Technology Society. Probably, going on facebook etc. I will of course have a funky abbreviation that members can call each other by as soon as I can think of one.

Being concerned that this thread may disappear I got a thinking. Would Oscar Niemeyer have achieved DL status if he had worked primarily in brick? I think not.

Despite their popularity in Western Europe, we could manage quite well without bricks. The same could not be said of concrete.

Whilst this thread should remain as a receptical for all things brick, may I respectfully request that a sub-section exist within this thread for the discussion of other building materials without the fear of being accused of going off topic. To this end I am considering forming Concrete Uses New Technology Society. Probably, going on facebook etc. I will of course have a funky abbreviation that members can call each other by as soon as I can think of one.

I had my Fellowship of the Ukranian Cement Kiln Exothermic Reactions Society stripped away from me owing to a slight yet fundamental disagreement with a keynote speaker at the International Conference on Concrete Technology 2001 in Swindon over the fumed silica content in blue circle cement. Would this go against me should I decide to apply?

I had my Fellowship of the Ukranian Cement Kiln Exothermic Reactions Society stripped away from me owing to a slight yet fundamental disagreement with a keynote speaker at the International Conference on Concrete Technology 2001 in Swindon over the fumed silica content in blue circle cement. Would this go against me should I decide to apply?

I fear certain building material references within your current signature may hinder any application to become a full member.

Im disgusted that no mention has been made of the rubber brick. <_<

Without the rubber brick millions of School children would have been rendered useless in carrying out the common emergency rescue of diving into a shitty canal, going to the bottom of it and pulling that 18stone suicidal adult from the very depths to the surface.

I think we should all take a moment of quiet reflection and pay homage to the wonderful rubber brick.

Without the rubber brick millions of School children would have been rendered useless in carrying out the common emergency rescue of diving into a shitty canal, going to the bottom of it and pulling that 18stone suicidal adult from the very depths to the surface.

I think we should all take a moment of quiet reflection and pay homage to the wonderful rubber brick.

You forgot to add that one must be dressed in ones pyjamas.

You forgot to add that one must be dressed in ones pyjamas.

Not to mention the hoop. There's generally a hoop.

Monkey and Godot you are both correct to point out that pyjamas and hoop are integral to the whole ensemble and allow the rubber brick to flourish in its role of "Fat git drowning."

I would even go as far to say that, perhaps, a painting of a rubber brick being "saved" by a pubescent at the Tooting Bec Lido would be a fabulous addition to any London Gallery.

Im sure this would meet with warm approval from those here who have, in the past, championed the likes of Jackson Pollock and considered me to be, shall we say, "Uncultured......"

Are there any Piss Artists out there who could paint such a masterpiece?

Monkey and Godot you are both correct to point out that pyjamas and hoop are integral to the whole ensemble and allow the rubber brick to flourish in its role of "Fat git drowning."

I would even go as far to say that, perhaps, a painting of a rubber brick being "saved" by a pubescent at the Tooting Bec Lido would be a fabulous addition to any London Gallery.

Im sure this would meet with warm approval from those here who have, in the past, championed the likes of Jackson Pollock and considered me to be, shall we say, "Uncultured......"

Are there any Piss Artists out there who could paint such a masterpiece?

Could be a no no in the current climate.

• Like 1