Godot

Bricks, The Building Blocks Of Death

Sorry to get serious for a moment but this is a thread about bricks. Not beans, not poems, not poems about beans that happen to mention the word "brick". Not Patrick Moore or squid or Australian politicians or even Wee Jimmy Krankie,even if she looks like a wasp chewing a brick (trying getting that one past the BBC). So no discussion here please of Rebecca Adlington looking like a reflection on the back of a spoon. That's strictly off topic. This is where we discuss bricks.

I CANT WORK UNDER THESE CONDITIONS :) ...I'll be in the poetry thread! :D

Also allow me to respond to the above mentioned quote...(*clears throat*) Killjoy.

So you don't have a view on whether she looks like the back of a spoon? Shame. :D I think she's lovely. And Jimmy Krankie is miss world compared with Frankie Boyle. But I don't think he should have been censured. All the BBC has achieved in doing so is to spread the unkind (but funny) remark among all those (including me) who didn't hear it the first time around.

From that site:

crackdown on cruel and humliating comedy

Apart from the spelling error this raises the question: is that something like cruel and unusual punishment? If so, I'd recommend it to all courts.

You are hereby sentenced to suffer a week of cruel and humiliating comedy.

That'll teach the bastards.

regards,

Hein

Try working here, I'm subject to cruel and humiliating humour all day long. It continues at home from Mrs Josco and all the little ones.

I think it's called a life sentence.

Didn't know where to post about historic buildings....and seeing as the photo has a few bricks in it, here goes.

(From March 2017): Demolition of the old Hardee’s No. 1 on Kennedy Street in Spartanburg began Monday.

The restaurant, which opened in October 1961, was the first franchise of the fast-food chain and would become a milestone in the careers of Jerry Richardson and Charlie Bradshaw. It signaled the birth of Spartan Foods, which would acquire and sell restaurants brands as it morphed into Flagstar. Flagstar sold off Hardee’s in 1998 and later became Denny’s Corp.  

When Bradshaw and Richardson, now the owner of the Carolina Panthers, opened Hardee’s No. 1 at 431 E. Kennedy St., it was just a walk-up window with no inside seating. Burgers were 15 cents, and there were no drive-through windows. The location remained open for 42 years before closing in February 2004.

SC

The iconic pedestrian bridge at the long-shuttered Packard Plant, which was once part of the plant's assembly line, likely collapsed Wednesday due in part to age and extreme weather fluctuations.

Wednesday evening, the Detroit Building Authority contracted with Blue Star Demolition to remove the bridge, and workers were assessing the site.

"We expect that active work will begin in the morning," the city said. "There is no timeline yet established for the completion of work and the reopening of the road."

The bridge fell onto East Grand Boulevard at about 3 p.m. Developer Fernando Palazuelo bought the plant in 2013 at a Wayne County tax auction.

SC

(shown below: 2017, and today)

07FF939A-A8F0-4C71-8BE4-FEEBB5ED6C6F.png

B5670A1A-AF09-4B7F-987B-86D50B09C6C5.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

The iconic pedestrian bridge at the long-shuttered Packard Plant, which was once part of the plant's assembly line, likely collapsed Wednesday due in part to age and extreme weather fluctuations.

Wednesday evening, the Detroit Building Authority contracted with Blue Star Demolition to remove the bridge, and workers were assessing the site.

"We expect that active work will begin in the morning," the city said. "There is no timeline yet established for the completion of work and the reopening of the road."

The bridge fell onto East Grand Boulevard at about 3 p.m. Developer Fernando Palazuelo bought the plant in 2013 at a Wayne County tax auction.

SC

(shown below: 2017, and today)

07FF939A-A8F0-4C71-8BE4-FEEBB5ED6C6F.png

B5670A1A-AF09-4B7F-987B-86D50B09C6C5.jpeg

it symbolizes something not quite sure what

In the search for more sustainable building materials, scientists have discovered a way to transform human waste into bricks that can be used for building.

So now, instead of someone being 'built like a brick shithouse' -  they'll be built like a 'shit brick house'.
SC

• Haha 4

Don’t judge a book by its cover!

Views (from Zillow, virtual tours, etc) of penthouses in Miami, pre-collapse.

Move-in ready!  Lovely, innit.

SC

• Like 4

No bricks were harmed in this post.

So somewhat misplaced.  I’m commandeering this thread to represent ALL buildings.

About a month ago The Phoenix Center in Pontiac, MI, a block from where Sir Cunto works, was blown to bits by a storm front and continuous 20-40mph winds for a day.  Here it sits.

BDA0EE8F-ED27-48A4-8053-B83B09DA2DEC.jpeg

0523360E-837F-4300-A47C-3F2066AE8E37.jpeg

B3B44270-4BDB-4A9E-8BAE-203E5234F6BC.jpeg

CA3DEACF-B580-4A52-8CCA-CE015516D6DB.jpeg

• Shocked 1

I would suspect that there are whole swathes of Michigan that could do with a fucking great big storm.........

A 50-year-old bridge collapsed in Pittsburgh early Friday, requiring rescuers to rappel down a ravine and form a human chain to reach a few occupants of a municipal bus that plummeted along with the span. No deaths were reported.
The collapse came hours before President Joe Biden arrived in the city to promote his $1 trillion infrastructure law, which has earmarked about $1.6 billion for Pennsylvania bridge maintenance.
SC

F338150A-4D16-4788-BFC7-8764F6BAA8DD.jpeg

This is golf hallowed ground.  Burning down to kindling as we speak.  Ryder Cup, US Open, etc.  102-year old clubhouse, the second largest wooden structure in Michigan.  Completely engulfed.

A country club in Oakland County appears to have caught fire on Thursday. Video from the Oakland Hills Country Club in Bloomfield Township shows the massive building on fire, despite wet weather sweeping across Southeast Michigan.

Live Video footage - https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/02/17/video-oakland-hills-country-club-ablaze-in-bloomfield-township/

:(

SC

536FBDAF-AF9F-465A-AEFB-53A79E17B664.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Expecting old wooden buildings to be in any way durable or fit for habitation is supremely and stupidly arrogant.

536FBDAF-AF9F-465A-AEFB-53A79E17B664.jpeg

FTFY 

People crying about wood houses should have listened to the Three Little Pigs story aged three and learned from it. 

This is absolutely hilarious. No lives lost. Golfing / rich / American wankers slightly putt-out. 

Tremendous. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

What's with the off-topic posts? This thread's for BRICK buildings, not tents or wooden sheds.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, time said:

What's with the off-topic posts? This thread's for BRICK buildings, not tents or wooden sheds.

Exactly. Or straw edifices. 

The building blocks of death don't include natural materials / plants. Lego deaths?

At least nine people, including four children, were killed after a building collapsed in Brazil’s northeastern state of Pernambuco on Friday, according to the state’s Secretariat of Social Defense.

SC

• Like 1

Happy international LEGO day.

LEGO Storage Brick 8 - Dark Green - Walmart.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Happy international LEGO day.

LEGO Storage Brick 8 - Dark Green - Walmart.com

Something to build on I suppose.