themaninblack

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

The death of Sean Sasser, American HIV-activist, was announced yesterday. He died at age 44.

Maybe he is better known for being the boyfriend of Pedro Zamora, who was one of the first openly gay men with AIDS to be portrayed in popular media. Together with Sean Sasser he brought international attention to HIV/AIDS and LGBT issues and prejudices through his appearance on MTV’s reality television series The Real World: San Francisco.

I remember I was crying the whole time when MTV broadcasted a Tribute to Pedro Zamora, a special memorial program, in his honor. He was 22 years old, when he lost his battle to AIDS on November 11, 1994.

220px-RWSFCast.jpg

http://www.queerty.com/breaking-sean-sasser-aids-activist-dead-at-44-20130807/

• Like 2

I remember that series too, especially Pedro Zamora. That guy impressed me.

• Like 1

Jose Julio Sarria Pioneering Gay Rights activist and the first openly gay person to run for public office in North America is dead at 90

You reckon he'll get the obit? Not sure I'm willing to take the gamble, but could be worth a lot of points...

I feel that the story's enough of an oddity to net him an obit. I think the biggest worry is moreso whether or not he'll even be around for the starting line.

I feel that the story's enough of an oddity to net him an obit. I think the biggest worry is moreso whether or not he'll even be around for the starting line.

This. The disease he has is always newsworthy because it brings more questions than answers back to the media fore. But it's not a very forgiving disease and there's 4 months of 2013 left yet.

Isn't there a topic about ironic deaths? He's (or she, depending on how you see it) a candidate.

The story featured in our local paper and states that he was given 14 months to live last August.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407711/Famous-Dont-Ask-Dont-Tell-activist-dies-car-wreck-Darren-Manzella.html

Darren Manzella at 36.

First openly gay serving Yankee sodjer. Vaguely remember the bruhaha when he was on 60 minutes.

Guest Hansek

With the year close to over  looks like Ed Koch is the only high profile celeb of the gays to die in 2013.

Rob Daley - tumour afflicted dad of diving sensation Tom - has been barred by medics from flying to the Commonwealth Games to watch his son.

Just an idea, like: do you see a movie about this touching story and maybe......Michael Douglas

Oh look, there's my coat.

Frankly, I don't fancy his chances of cheering on his closeted wurzel diving boy to 2012 Olympic gold, having seen this documentary.

Shock horror! It's Tom Gayley

Rob Daley - tumour afflicted dad of diving sensation Tom - has been barred by medics from flying to the Commonwealth Games to watch his son.

Just an idea, like: do you see a movie about this touching story and maybe......Michael Douglas

Frankly, I don't fancy his chances of cheering on his closeted wurzel diving boy to 2012 Olympic gold, having seen this documentary.

Slow news day.

It was pointed out on twitter that this news is equivalent to Barak Obama coming out as black

Slow news day.

It was pointed out on twitter that this news is equivalent to Barak Obama coming out as black

He's BLACK!???!!!

• Like 1

Guest B. Reed

DAMN

Vernita Gray, terminally ill gay rights activist who wed her partner in Illinois's first same-sex marriage, has died. Picked on DDP by Drunkasaskunk and Daily Mail's usage of AP wires gets her the obit.

Guest Howard

E! News is reporting John Travolta was rushed to the hospital after a heart attack this morning. Seems like he will survive though

Wasn't his famous work the Boy Friend? Appropriate?

He was a true friend of Dorothy.

Just seen Pride magnificent movie and well worth checking out. Dominic West plays Jonathan Blake (gay actor and the second person diagnosed as HIV+ in the UK), and the end credits - sorry to spoil this for you - mention that Blake has just turned 65. Not exactly high profile, but the movie will probably kindle some interest in him. Anyone, like, know how his health is?

• Like 1