themaninblack

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Matt Redman, a co-founder of one of the nation’s oldest AIDS service organizations and an early voice of activism in Los Angeles when the disease was first stoking fear and prejudice in America, has died. He was 67.

Redman and three others launched what would become AIDS Project Los Angeles in 1982 after attending an emergency meeting about something then known as Gay Related Immunodeficiency Disease, an early name for AIDS.

SC

David D'Amato, subject of the critically acclaimed (Sundance Festival, Oscars long list) New Zealand documentary Tickled, dead at 55:

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2017/03/david-d-amato-subject-of-tickled-has-died.html

He supposedly tricked (?) young men into making fetish tickling videos. The documentary aimed to show Mr. D'Amato, not as a monster, but as a person.

George Weinberg, psychotherapist who coined the term 'homophobia', dead aged 86, cancer.

Apparently he got on to thinking about the subject when asked to disinvite a lesbian friend from a dinner party.

• Like 1

Brooke Verity Cochran, at one point the world's most famous surrogate mom for carrying the quadruples of a gay couple, dead from drug abuse at 37:

https://www.bioedge.org/bioethics/ms-surrogate-mother-of-2002-passes-away-at-37/12339

Read the story if you want to find out how sometimes everything turns into shit.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 07:45, gcreptile said:

Brooke Verity Cochran, at one point the world's most famous surrogate mom for carrying the quadruples of a gay couple, dead from drug abuse at 37:

https://www.bioedge.org/bioethics/ms-surrogate-mother-of-2002-passes-away-at-37/12339

Read the story if you want to find out how sometimes everything turns into shit.

Read it?  I'm LIVING it.

SC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unsurprisingly, Rayya Elias' slightly optimistic plans to perform a one-woman show called Death Love Life later this month have been cancelled, because she "cannot perform at the level she'd like". 

32 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Unsurprisingly, Rayya Elias' slightly optimistic plans to perform a one-woman show called Death Love Life later this month have been cancelled, because she "cannot perform at the level she'd like". 

I would have thought she could still have performed the first third of that show - possibly at a near perfect level!

• Like 2

Rip Naquin, whose same-sex domestic partnership was the first in New Orleans when it was registered in 1993, died Tuesday at Chateau de Notre Dame nursing home of kidney failure. He was 63.

Naquin published Ambush, a biweekly magazine for the city's LGBT community, with his partner, who was born Martin Greeson but is known as Marsha Naquin-Delain.

They were two of the five grand marshals of Southern Decadence, New Orleans' largest gay street fair, in 2015.  

New Orleans was the 29th U.S. municipality to create a registry of domestic partners, and Naquin and Delain were the first in line when the rolls opened at City Hall on Sept. 3, 1993.
SC

On 7/17/2017 at 06:03, gcreptile said:

Beth Ditto hospitalised for unknown reasons, though probably nothing life-threatening... yet:

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/beth-ditto-postpones-new-york-show-after-hospitalisation-hollywood-news/18428187

Hope she isn't going around eating ham sandwiches like Mama Cass did

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I didn't even know there was such a thing.

That's amazing...I had you pegged as a tranny, Toast.  

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

In my day 'tranny' meant a cross-dresser.  

Funnily enough I saw a bloke wearing a dress in Sainsburys the other day. 

57 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

And who knows, maybe Toast is pegging other people just as well.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Toast said:

In my day 'tranny' meant a cross-dresser.  

Funnily enough I saw a bloke wearing a dress in Sainsburys the other day. 

In my day tranny was something involving a vehicle.  If you took the time to fix your own tranny and save $1500 (U.S. dollars), you would definitely feel gay the rest of the day.

Reports from Chechyna that known homosexuals are being rounded up and tortured. Their president wants Chechyna to be cleared of all homosexuals. (No mention about Lesbians in the news report I heard today on Norwegian TV news though.) 

Edith Windsor, lead plaintiff in United States v. Windsor, the case the upturned section 3 of the DOMA (which specified that the term "spouse" only applied to marriages between a man and a woman, even if the couple was legally married in a state that allowed same-sex marriages), has died aged 88.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/us/edith-windsor-dead-same-sex-marriage-doma.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

19 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Damn.  I don't need to hear news like this.  Huge Throbbing Gristle fan in the day, and of course Psychic TV.
Get well, dammit

SC
(EDIT: What the hell is this doing in the Rainbow thread?)

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Damn.  I don't need to hear news like this.  Huge Throbbing Gristle fan in the day, and of course Psychic TV.
Get well, dammit

SC
(EDIT: What the hell is this doing in the Rainbow thread?)

Is there a thread for industrial music? I thought about putting it in the pop thread but I wouldn't consider them a pop group.

• Like 1