themaninblack

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

3 minutes ago, time said:

Maureeen Colquhoun, first openly gay MP in Westminster has died aged 92.

Was considered for my "bung 'em on the DDP" team but in the end I didn't pick her, and nor did anyone else...

Looks like she was never picked in the DDP? Bit surprised by that tbh.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Looks like she was never picked in the DDP? Bit surprised by that tbh.

Happens quite a lot with MPs in their 80s/90s. Dick Taverne for example is a pretty big name in Commons history (he left Labour over Militant insurgency in his seat, beat them at a general election, and was an inspiration for the eventual SDP) but he's been picked 4 years in the DDP, 3 of them thanks to me! (Including this year - he may need to be picked till death at this rate of disinterest.)

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Happens quite a lot with MPs in their 80s/90s. Dick Taverne for example is a pretty big name in Commons history (he left Labour over Militant insurgency in his seat, beat them at a general election, and was an inspiration for the eventual SDP) but he's been picked 4 years in the DDP, 3 of them thanks to me! (Including this year - he may need to be picked till death at this rate of disinterest.)

NGL, I genuinely thought he was dead.

My knowledge of UK politics tends to include everything, cept the Lib Dems. Can't be dedicating brain cells to such nonsense. :P

• Haha 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

NGL, I genuinely thought he was dead.

My knowledge of UK politics tends to include everything, cept the Lib Dems. Can't be dedicating brain cells to such nonsense. :P

Tbf if you saw them trailing the Greens in some recent YouGovs its appears you aren't the only one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Was considered for my "bung 'em on the DDP" team but in the end I didn't pick her, and nor did anyone else...

She was on my shadow list a few years ago but forgot about her this year.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

94 year old feminist and gay rights activist  Ivy Bottini  has died in California. 

Damn. There goes another Cup selection...

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 07:51, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/14052516/tony-drewitt-barlow-saffron-barrie-valentina-bitcoin/

I'm beginning to question the wisdom of myself or indeed anyone now picking him for the purposes of deadpooling as he said two weeks ago he is considering having another child with his new boyfriend. 

I am assuming that most people wouldn't  do that if they believed they were going to die in the next year or so. I could  be wrong. 

Sweden-Finn writer Christer Kihlman dead at 90:

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000007848520.html

He was bisexual, came out in the book "Ihminen joka järkkyi" in 1971. In some of his books he described threesomes with his wife Silenda Kihlman (1935-2007) and another man. They were married until her death.

• Like 1

Robina Asti, a World War II pilot and trans activist, has died. She was 99.  (The article mistakenly indicates she was born in 1910, though it later quotes her saying she was born in 1921.)

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/03/19/robina-asti-dies-99-trans-second-world-war-pilot-out/?fbclid=IwAR0WwezgGfbp35_CVK1pPHAa5o20sBiu4GVfuWPRQX0qdoFOXYXFbXRGKBE

• Like 1

Paul Feinman has died after a legal career in which he became the first openly gay judge to serve on New York’s highest court.

Feinman was 61 and died shortly after stepping down from the Court of Appeals due to an unspecified health issue.

SC

• Like 1

A few 1950s/1960s lesbian pulp fiction novel authors are still alive. The most known ones are probably:

Marijane Meaker (b. 1927) Launched the genre

Sally Singer (b. 1930) Wrote Three Women in 1958. Interviewed in 2004, probably still alive but has lead a private life.

Ann Bannon (b. 1932) Known from the Beebo Brinker Chronicles, called the Queen of Lesbian Pulp Fiction.

Annselm L. N. V. Morpurgo/Artemis Smith (b. 1934) Unisex movement founder.

Other gay novel authors from before the Stonewall riots:

John Rechy (b. 1931) City of the Night, 1963

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sri Lanka's first openly gay politician, Mangala Samaraweera who served as foreign affairs minister twice (2005-2007 and 2015-2017), minister of media (2017-2019) and minister of finance (2017-2019) has died aged 65 from covid.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/sri-lankas-former-foreign-minister-samaraweera-dies-of-covid-19/article36075905.ece

He was the son of parliament member Mahanama Samaraweera (1917-1966).

• Like 3

Steve Bronski of Bronski Beat being reported dead: 

A former DDP pick for me, if true that leaves Jimmy Somerville as the last man standing from the original line-up.

Knew him of sorts back in the scene in Glasgow, so this is a very sad day for me if verified. RIP. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Steve Bronski apparently died on 7 December 2021 from Twitter posts.

List of the Missed @msc, I think it may have been last year I picked him? He'd gone missing and I suspected the worst but he survived 2020.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Steve Bronski apparently died on 7 December 2021 from Twitter posts.

I know Twitter can sometimes make for some awful reading, but this is a new extreme.

• Haha 1