Godot

Is The Deathlist Dying?

GODOT'S LAST POST

When Dorothy Parker was told of the death of the famously taciturn US President Calvin Coolidge, she replied: "How can they tell?" That's what worries me about the DL. If the success of a newspaper is measured in circulation, the success of a forum has to be measured in the number of posts. Yes it needs good posts, but it also needs healthy debate and banter and there is precious little of that here anymore.

Very few members announce they are going to stop posting. It's a silly thing to do anyway because you never know when you are going to get the urge. Instead they simply give up looking in or are distracted by other things (like work as HCW suggested?). A debate such as this is always sensitive because if you suggest the best days are gone, relatively new members are pissed off because they do not have a point of comparison and it suggests that their own posts are not up to snuff. It also pisses off those who do keep on posting, carrying the torch so to speak.

I know we have had this debate before and if any mod can find it please merge the topics. I had a cursory search before apathy kicked in and that's the problem, I suspect. People are not posting because they have grown apathetic. That's my theory. The debate was also held some time ago in the Hartlepool Deadlypool and when did anyone last post there? What's happened to HPDP is happening here.

Perhaps it is time there was a bit of reform and I have some suggestions:

Moderators - yes we all know it involves some work but it should also involve a bit of leadership. If moderators can no longer be bothered to post regularly (or who have decided to get a life, I don't blame them) they should have that responsibility removed and it should be given to some who do. Honez is a good example of a mod who leads by example, with witty posts almost every day - not tons of them - but interesting posts.

MPFC posts more than anyone but someone has to and most of his posts are a good standard. Why isn't he a mod? He's a good bloke who cares about the place. It's time there was a shake up among the mods, admins please take note (if you can be bothered).

A bit of sh*t should be celebrated. When Star Crossed posted an outrageous personal attack on Lardy he was roundly condemned but Lardy of all people needs no one to defend her. At least he livened things up a bit. He'd obviously had a bad day at work. Some posters get a hard time on this site. Banshees was finally driven off when everyone thought he had a hide as tough as a rhino. Not so, it seems. Apart from Canadian Paul whose posts achieve a consistent level of dullness, most people, even Banshees have their good days.

I don't see eye to eye with everything SC writes (apart from any comment on the Big Lebowsky) and I'm sure the feeling is mutual but at least, in his own peculiar way, he cares about this place and about quality posting.

I wish everyone here who has a birthday a happy birthday, naturally, but long lines of dull happy birthday posts? Nothing wrong with it except it's the only thing that attracts posts now, that and obscure deaths of friend's ancient uncles. What's that all about? Also these dull "who's gonna die next votes" where people post their choice - boring, boring, boring. I know I'm risking the wrath of fellow posters (some of whom I count as friends, although not Windsor who is entertaining as a poster, mostly, but is a bit too odd and generationally adrift from me, comes from Fraserburgh, spends too much time on buses and allows himself to be kicked around by his employers). But, in the immortal words of Clark Gable, frankly my dears, I don't give a f'uck (and the swearfilter - an area of mod abuse that pisses off most posters should be amended for a start. If I want to say f'uck I should be able to say so like any grown up without a f'ucking apostrophe. A bit of a shitstorm directed my way is better than nothing at all, not that I will be defending any "kick Godot" posts (even if this becomes a sport to provoke a response). I'm off. I never intended to stay more than 3,000 posts. So this is my valedictory post.

Please don't read any of this as fair comment. I don't do fair comment, and I know some, as before, will detect a whiff of hypocrisy that is characteristic of my posting.

Since I am off (I really, really am) and don't intend to contribute to this thread I suppose it will drown in apathy with the rest of the site but I hope it at least shows that I care about the DL and hope those who attend the Deathcon III (that I am unable to attend) will give it some debate. Best wishes to those who will try harder than I am prepared to do to sustain the site as a fun place to visit.

I'm going to miss this place and expect I will be lurking and will be mightily tempted to contribute but I'm going to try not to lurk and to kick the habit completely. I've really enjoyed the past 5 years (nearly) of posting, or four of them at least. Death by atrophy is the worst death of all. The DL doesn't deserve that.

So long and thanks for all the squid.

Godot

Er....that's it, finito, done, ended, no more, definitely the last word from me, signed off, departed, quit, wrapped up, zipped, schtum from now on, gone for good and that's a promise, no honestly.....

I'm still here, but my status has been reduced to that of a lurker.

Anyway, I understand where you are in your life. Best of luck and all that squid.

I was on the verge of writing that it's all just down to good old apathy but in the end I couldn't be bothered!! :old:

• Like 1

... When Star Crossed posted an outrageous personal attack on Lardy he was roundly condemned ...

This is what happens when you f'uck a stranger in the a'ss.

... Perhaps it is time there was a bit of reform and I have some suggestions: ...

Yeah, well... you know, that's just like, uh... your opinion, man.

... Er....that's it, finito, done, ended, no more, definitely the last word from me, signed off, departed, quit, wrapped up, zipped, schtum from now on, gone for good and that's a promise, no honestly.....

Godot abides... I don't know about you, but I'd take comfort in that. It's good knowing he's out there, "Godot", taking it easy for all us sinners.

MPFC....most of his posts are a good standard.

At last, all those years at uni count for something.

Go well Godot.

In terms of the observations, late Oct/early Nov is always a slow time, unless there is a mighty death or two to invigorate things. Doubtless December with the to'ings and fro'ings of deadpool team assembly will see fervent comment again.

Just to clarify, I did not ask anyone to 'defend' me against Star Crossed. Why? Because I couldn't actually give two f'ucks about words on a screen from someone I don't know.

Seeing that I am one of the newer members I decided to come out of hiding and (for the first time) enter the live chat.

I am doing this so that the more established members can (in a way) directly advice on how I can contribute on a better functioning of the site, because it has been oftenly said that the site is going in the wrong direction but I have no idea what I can do about it.

Mmm, OK. Here's some constructive advice [with a "c" as I, indeed, mean the noun, rather than the verb advise].

to bad you're leaving the site so suddenly, I wish you the best of luck in you're further life.

Seeing that this always is such an HOT TOPIC wouldn't it be better if the mods just pin this up. instead of randomly starting new posts all over the place every time people (older members) question the lifespan of the DL?

Learn the difference between "too" and "to".

Learn what a comma splice is and why it should be avoided.

Learn the difference between "your" and "you're".

Learn the difference between "a" and "an" [while we're there, I'll point out that anybody who says "an hotel" *and* pronounces the "h" in hotel is a dickhead].

Learn to appreciate that caps have a value that is degraded by idiotically capping things like "hot topic".

Learn that as often as not instead is preceded by a comma rather than a full point; and that, if you choose to start a new sentence with the word "instead" you'd still do well to stick to the convention you hopefully learnt as a child of starting every new sentence with a capital [which that one wasn't, anyhow.]

Learn that only morons use the words "random" and "randomly" without really thinking about whether the thing or action they're talking about really is "random".

edit: And, jeez, "oftenly"...?

I'll hold fire before I start looking at any other things you post and spend the rest of my week clearing up your interwebs mess...

Seeing that I am one of the newer members I decided to come out of hiding and (for the first time) enter the live chat.

I am doing this so that the more established members can (in a way) directly advice on how I can contribute on a better functioning of the site, because it has been oftenly said that the site is going in the wrong direction but I have no idea what I can do about it.

Mmm, OK. Here's some constructive advice [with a "c" as I, indeed, mean the noun, rather than the verb advise].

to bad you're leaving the site so suddenly, I wish you the best of luck in you're further life.

Seeing that this always is such an HOT TOPIC wouldn't it be better if the mods just pin this up. instead of randomly starting new posts all over the place every time people (older members) question the lifespan of the DL?

Learn the difference between "too" and "to".

Learn what a comma splice is and why it should be avoided.

Learn the difference between "your" and "you're".

Learn the difference between "a" and "an" [while we're there, I'll point out that anybody who says "an hotel" *and* pronounces the "h" in hotel is a dickhead].

Learn to appreciate that caps have a value that is degraded by idiotically capping things like "hot topic".

Learn that as often as not instead is preceded by a comma rather than a full point; and that, if you choose to start a new sentence with the word "instead" you'd still do well to stick to the convention you hopefully learnt as a child of starting every new sentence with a capital [which that one wasn't, anyhow.]

Learn that only morons use the words "random" and "randomly" without really thinking about whether the thing or action they're talking about really is "random".

edit: And, jeez, "oftenly"...?

I'll hold fire before I start looking at any other things you post and spend the rest of my week clearing up your interwebs mess...

, Instead of randomly sending in an hit squid perhaps looking to where Vaagy is from may have helped, he is from The netherlands. Your to quick too advice in this instanse. [/potkettleblack] :old:

, Instead of randomly sending in an hit squid perhaps looking to where Vaagy is from may have helped, he is from The netherlands. Your to quick too advice in this instanse. [/potkettleblack] :old:

Maybe I should post on some Dutch forums and destroy their, um, beautiful language. Oops, the South Africans have already done that.

Yes, yes, I know that the guy is Dutch. But the moment DL gets fluffy and kind at the expense of rigour is the moment... that one of its finest posters, Godot, sods off. (But he'll be back, I know it. DL is like herpes — a present/ce for life...)

So, anyhow, Vaagy: I'm sorry I missed your birthday. I hope it was a wonderful day.

(...)

I'm from the Netherlands too, and I never make a spelling mistake.

(I realise that's a pretty bold statement and I'm sure that it's not true, but you wouldn't bother to check all my posts, would you?)

Instead of randomly sending in an hit squid [...]

Shouldn't this message be in another topic? :old:

regards,

Hein

Instead of randomly sending in an hit squid [...]

Shouldn't this message be in another topic? :old:

regards,

Hein

Quite right, it should be merged with the Patrick Moore thread. That surely has to be the best marker on DL activity.

Face it, you have more control over the language than I have, Is there a problem with that?

None whatsoever! Please don't take my post as an insult, I was challenging that pedantic know-it-all Alphonsin. You could find grammar, interpunction and spelling mistakes in almost every post, he was just giving in to his boredom, I suppose.

Well, well, well.....

Godot, Im not one for sentiment so, by all means, f'uck off and dont come back. :old:

I have to confess that I was begining to believe that there was more chance of finding a bollock on a eunuch than finding a recent post by Alphonsin, welcome back Alphonsin!

My chance to be indignant and rant has been curtailed as of late, I dont think we can pretend that the site hasnt gone quiet, Ive tried to start some sh*t threads to keep the wheels turning but I know my limits, im no conversationalist, wit or intellectual, f'uck, I can barely spell!

Personally. there are too many multiple ID members, too many members posting as guests and, at times, people are being anal about the trivial while overlooking the substance.

This kind of thread has been done to death in a whole multitude of different forums everywhere else.

The biggest load of bollocks is the belief that this forum or that forum is somehow unique in membership, content approach, blah, blah, blah. Its not, far from it.

People will come and go, it will go sh*t and it will be good again.

Godot, if you are lurking, this subject was touched on, I think by me responding to Bruno Brimleys ( I think) assertion that fings really aint what they used to be and the forum was loads better a few years back when Dame Vera Lynn was considered shagging material......if you know what I mean ^_^

Ive been preoccupied of late which is why i havent posted too much, not that Im missed TBH, I probably am exactly the kind of person the forum was never intended to serve, if it was actually intended to serve anybody apart from a bunch of smug hairy arsed students who spent too much time on the piss.

Go well Godot, go far, f'uck off and annoy another forum.

You will be missed

Love

LFN

XXX

PS: FFS, will the moderators DO SOMETHING about the swear filter!!!!

Well, well, well.....

Godot, Im not one for sentiment so, by all means, f'uck off and dont come back. :old:

I have to confess that I was begining to believe that there was more chance of finding a bollock on a eunuch than finding a recent post by Alphonsin, welcome back Alphonsin!

My chance to be indignant and rant has been curtailed as of late, I dont think we can pretend that the site hasnt gone quiet, Ive tried to start some sh*t threads to keep the wheels turning but I know my limits, im no conversationalist, wit or intellectual, f'uck, I can barely spell!

Personally. there are too many multiple ID members, too many members posting as guests and, at times, people are being anal about the trivial while overlooking the substance.

This kind of thread has been done to death in a whole multitude of different forums everywhere else.

The biggest load of bollocks is the belief that this forum or that forum is somehow unique in membership, content approach, blah, blah, blah. Its not, far from it.

Godot, if you are lurking, this subject was touched on, I think by me responding to Bruno Brimleys ( I think) assertion that fings really aint what they used to be and the forum was loads better a few years back when Dame Vera Lynn was considered shagging material......if you know what I mean ^_^

Ive been preoccupied of late which is why i havent posted too much, not that Im missed TBH, I probably am exactly the kind of person the forum was never intended to serve, if it was actually intended to serve anybody apart from a bunch of smug hairy arsed students who spent too much time on the piss.

You will be missed

Love

LFN

XXX

Wow!! I am in awe. I never knew you cared. Are you pissed??

fekin pointless fekin swear filter!!!!

please Alphonsin, have a little mercy, please do not put your proofreading glasses on, please don't humiliate my lack of decent English grammar again, please spare me this time, please leave the little selfconfidence I still have on this site intact, I beg you Alphonsin, please!

I expect the above is tongue in cheek but, regardless, I should humbly acknowledge that your English is far better than any of the foreign languages I try my hand at.

Your non-native grammar is, more or less, to be applauded so don't feel slighted by my earlier post. And I'm sorry if if you did.

The intertubes were designed pretty much for just two reasons:

a) for people to let their friends know whenever they ate an orange or had a poo (via Twitter, etc)

and :old: for people to argue about whether it's "Achilles' heel", "Achilles heel", "Achilles' tendon", "Achilles tendon", and so on [the first and fourth are, of course, correct].

Thus grumps like me find it difficult to engage usefully with people like your fine self who concern themselves with putting forward constructive posts. (Particularly since my job means that it's not a matter of my putting on proofreading glasses or not — the lenses have become cauterised to my eyeballs*.)

Aaanyway. This was just a fleeting visit to the site, I think, for now. I may resurface properly in December when I've got a certain project out of the way. But I couldn't let Godot's passing go unremarked. (I shall hound him in the real world, however.)

Vaagheid, if you make it to Deathcon III, I look forward to buying you a pint.

Aw, and Tomb Raider, you know I don't claim to be a know-it-all. There are lots of things I don't know. I expect. I've just yet to discover what. Which, er, proves my point ^_^ .

I can't be bothered to trawl through the thread on Deathcon III, so may as well just mention the following in this post:

If there's anybody who's thinking of travelling from afar for Deathcon III but is put off by problems of accommodation (too broke for a hotel or whatever), my bachelor [but, um, straight and fulfillingly exercised] existence is such that I can put somebody up on my sofa or in my study [that term makes me laugh, given that the only things I study nowadays are bus timetables] if they want. Obviously, only somebody that others can vouch for on the basis of chat room conversation or whatever. (And clearly any relative newbie would want to ask around some of the old-timers as to whether I'm an axe-wielding maniac or just a maniac). Just a thought, but however.

* Although, yes, I'm sure I've typed lots of mistakes here.

The Death List regenerates - it has a few more chances to cheat death yet!

As an observation, we're not getting as much Google juice as we used to so there is much less new blood happening by.

Well, well, well.....

Godot, Im not one for sentiment so, by all means, f'uck off and dont come back. ^_^

Godot, if you are lurking, this subject was touched on, I think by me responding to Bruno Brimleys ( I think) assertion that fings really aint what they used to be and the forum was loads better a few years back when Dame Vera Lynn was considered shagging material......if you know what I mean :o

You will be missed

Love

LFN

XXX

Wow!! I am in awe. I never knew you cared. Are you pissed??

fekin pointless fekin swear filter!!!!

Nope, but I will be in a couple of weeks time.

I shall be utterly wankered as i intend to consume alcohol from early afternoon to late evening.

Im so glad your spellings better than mine, Id hate to think of what people would say if you had accidentally typed an 'a' instead of an 'i' in your first sentence................. :old:

The Death List regenerates - it has a few more chances to cheat death yet!

As an observation, we're not getting as much Google juice as we used to so there is much less new blood happening by.

Unsuprising, who the f'uck is going to type Ja'N'e Goody into Google and end up here? :old:

Well, well, well.....

People will come and go, it will go sh*t and it will be good again.Godot, if you are lurking, this subject was touched on, I think by me responding to Bruno Brimleys ( I think) assertion that fings really aint what they used to be and the forum was loads better a few years back when Dame Vera Lynn was considered shagging material......if you know what I mean ^_^

You will be missed

Love

LFN

XXX

He's right y'know...

This forum is merely a pimple on the large, sweaty arse of the interweb. Nuthin' going on round here as in 99% of the web, but we do it nonetheless...

He'll be back and we shall be waiting for him...:o

Yes, goodbye Godot...again.

See you next Tuesday.