Godot

Is The Deathlist Dying?

Maybe I'm just in a funny mood, but the last couple of weeks have been as depressing, post-wise, as any since I've been here. Not helped by the death drought I know, but it's mostly crap newbies talking crap.

I joined in 2006. Around that time there was an influx of new noobs accompanied by a whole lot of chatter from other posters about how the old Deathlist was dying. It reminded me of the oft repeated trope of summer camp movies.

"Gee, it's no fun this year, last year the kids were better, the food was better, the counselors were cooler, there were't any mosquitos and the food didn't suck".

So at least once a year or thereabouts, it happens on the forum. It's a Deathlist tradition.

My contribution to this year's trope: Er..It would be nice if Anubis the Jackal posted more.

Can anyone else remember how they got here or why they were daft enough to register?

That's not that long ago (so i don't know if it counts that i can remember it). It was just after the dead of sir Edmund Hilary in 2008, I found this site throught a link on the wikipedia list of people who recently died. My first post was in the "Johannes Heesters"-thread and the first i started was that of Oliver Robbins. I have always considered myself to be a newbie and i fear it will still take a long time before i become a established member.

Some may find this strange, but i remember that Star Crossed was very kind to me when i just started here.

Should the DL have a Twitter presence, and, if so, how would that work? Would it complement or compete with the forum?

I am probably alone in this, but i personally can't stand twitter.

It would be nice if Anubis the Jackal posted more.

That's unlikely. I met up with him for a pint during the World Cup and he's well, he's still got his ******, but didn't seem too bothered about returning to the DL. Having a new job which doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen all day makes a difference.

Can anyone else remember how they got here or why they were daft enough to register?

That's not that long ago (so i don't know if it counts that i can remember it). It was just after the dead of sir Edmund Hilary in 2008, I found this site throught a link on the wikipedia list of people who recently died. My first post was in the "Johannes Heesters"-thread and the first i started was that of Oliver Robbins. I have always considered myself to be a newbie and i fear it will still take a long time before i become a established member.

Some may find this strange, but i remember that Star Crossed was very kind to me when i just started here.

Should the DL have a Twitter presence, and, if so, how would that work? Would it complement or compete with the forum?

I am probably alone in this, but i personally can't stand twitter.

No, you've got company. I'm no great fan of Twitter either. I blame Stephen Fry for it's popularity!

I have a repeat showing of the 1974 film 'Man About the House' to thank for joining the Deathlist and ultimately becoming the DDP host...

I can't remember why exactly I joined DL, it's a long time ago. I must have stumbled on it in one of my trawls through this Interweb thingy.

After I joined I had a period of 46 days of lurking.

My first post was, in good DL newbie tradition, one that reported a death (Francis Crick's) that was already posted about a day before.

regards,

Hein

I played in a dead pool on Livejournal run by The Raven who was a reasonably successful DDP player. DDP themselves had a team in his dead pool which lead to me looking them up. This was the year that deathlist was winning DDP and so I found this site. I lurked for the latter part of 2004 before joining in 2005.

My first few posts were rather iainesque.

I can't remember why exactly I joined DL, it's a long time ago. I must have stumbled on it in one of my trawls through this Interweb thingy.

After I joined I had a period of 46 days of lurking.

My first post was, in good DL newbie tradition, one that reported a death (Francis Crick's) that was already posted about a day before.

regards,

Hein

MH, I don't know how long I was lurking for but it took me 65 days to put up my first post (about Johnny Carson) after becoming a member! And at 03:54am I must have been having one a hell of a time looking after baby Rotten.

I run a dead pool in work and was looking for more names. So joined up here.

On investigation, my first post was about a week after joining, taking a pot shot at the committee for the dearth of Antipodean inclusions on the list.

I'm sure I stumbled in here looking for info on the corporeal status of the two Ronnies, too lazy to use Google, or summat.

I came here because I had no friends.

I still don't, and thus I'm still here. ;)

On investigation, my first post was about a week after joining, taking a pot shot at the committee for the dearth of Antipodean inclusions on the list.

Ah, yes, the Sir Joh topic, perfect ressurection material. A short and entertaining flurry of posts; the subject dies and the topic is silent ever since.

Are we bored yet?

regards,

Hein

Ah, Magere Hein showed us how to find your first post (see the 'howto'-topic)! I'd been hanging around at DL for some time, but decided to register and respond to some criticism related to Brooke Astor and Ruby Muhammad. As Astor secured us a hit back in 2007 and Muhammad has been ignored ever since, I very much doubt that anyone will ever feel the urge to revive that thread, though.

Edited by Magere Hein
Link added.

My first post was primarily about baseball and peripherally about GW Bush. There's a certain appropriateness there.

*I have tickets tomorrow night, and next weekend, and next week, and.....

I first posted as guest Madame Defarge and then finally registered a few days later. Tempus Fugit had recently gone missing and there was some speculation as to whether or not I might be his sockpuppet.

In my first post as a member, I put everyone's doubts to rest by confessing that I was actually Millwall32.

A much more modern approach to our little game is played in Colombia. ;)

regards,

Hein

I joined in late March last year - I had known about the list for sometime but it was only after the Black Saturday bushfires (which came within cooee distance of effecting a lot of people I know) I wanted to start a thread dedicated to natural disasters - it didn't really work. So now I just use it for the occasional druken rant when the mates have passed out or gone home.

My girlfriend still doesn't know I'm on this :pop:

My girlfriend still doesn't know I'm on this :pop:

Ah, really? Is that common among DL'ers, I wonder? My girlfriend knows all my bad habits, and is always complaining about my morbid and tasteless interests - which are typical for regulars here, I suppose. Especially when I leap for joy after a new hit, she's eyeing me with a combination of embarassment, amusement and pity.

It goes both ways, though. Her fascination is Farmville...

My girlfriend still doesn't know I'm on this ;)

Ah, really? Is that common among DL'ers, I wonder? My girlfriend knows all my bad habits, and is always complaining about my morbid and tasteless interests - which are typical for regulars here, I suppose. Especially when I leap for joy after a new hit, she's eyeing me with a combination of embarassment, amusement and pity.

I don't believe that anyone on DL even HAS A girlfriend :pop: I haven't....

I have.

She just doesn't know about it...

I haven't.

;)

But I do have a wife though.

Johnny Cashs old backing group the Tennessee Two has just become the Tenessee One with the death of Marshall Grant

edit: actually its the Tennesse None because Luther Perkins iis also dead

You do wonder whether this continual ineptness is deliberate...

I used to be (still am) actually on a message board where one of the sub-forums was dedicated to this massive, large-scale trolling operation that involved a group of maybe 10, 15 users each setting up four or five fake Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, whatever accounts to create the impression that there was this 50-strong community of people who already existed, then they'd slowly drag actual real people into their imaginary world and start fucking with them. Getting them to fall in love with people who don't exist, wire money for problems that nobody has, start fights with their actual irl friends, and so on and so forth. There's actually a vaguely notable piece of Facebook "FAIL" internet virality that's actually one of their pieces of trolling.

TL;DR - I know some guys whose dedication to trolling sees them spend maybe 20 hours a week talking to strangers and flipping between a variety of fake online personae all for the purpose of "lulz." And even they aren't as dedicated to this level of high-tier trolling as notaguest.

He/she/it is the DL's Japanese knotweed/Leylandii/grey squirrel, slowly strangling a tiny, delicate ecosystem. It's all rather depressing.

The likes of honez, CR, BS, CP, ATJ, STTG, DTTG, CO, FF, BB, Josco, Mono, DWB, Pooka, Bou, GR, TH, HoS, Gunjaman, SC, Millwall32 and IE+ may not have all vanished specifically on notaguest's account in the past year or so, but it's surely symptomatic of the sad decline. I'm aware it's a big wide fun world out there, but that's a lot of quality gone in such a short time. Good replacements in the past two years? Hmmm...

Sorry for whingeing, it's only a website, I know.

considering I only joined the forum in april it's a bit unfair to accuse me of chasing people away from the forum over the past year don't you think?The mos t likely reason for a forum to be losing members is established members failing to welcome new ones in my experience.I think thats a really sad reflection on human nature