Sign in to follow this  
Tomb raider

Former Grand Duke Jean Of Luxembourg

I say: former Grand duke Jean of Luxembourg for DL 2010! I mentioned him before at the ideas and possibilities thread, and the man is not getting any younger. Not the hottest debated royalty, the Luxembourgers, but a dead royal always stirs some attention.

Former Grand Duke Jean is now 88 years old, and has been looking more and more frail over the last couple of years - especially after the dead of his wife Josephine-Charlotte in 2005. He has had a hip replacement last year and is said to recover slowly (according to the always well informed Royal Forums - they're the only ones who give a f*ck).

He has had a hip replacement last year and is said to recover slowly (according to the always well informed Royal Forums - they're the only ones who give a f*ck).

These days us deathlisters don't go by that way so often.

Something like this:

:skull:.............................................................:shoot:

This guy survived a year on one of my teams with virtually no news coverage and little sign of impending death. Not sure he's a prime candidate, despite the advanced age. Old royals get good medical attention and people in Europe's minor principalities often have access to a level of medical care the rest of us can only dream of. Those no/low income tax, high personal wealth, countries can provide the very best. So basically, if he has the slightest sign of cancer it would be zapped, a hear murmer would be detected in its infancy etc.

Guest VAR

Prince Philipp of England and prince Nikolas Romanov of Russia are in the same age (88) and I won't say their phisical condition much better then of Grand Duke Jean. Otherwise, despite an old age they all ain't like to be dying men. There are lot of younger celebrities with severe deseases whose life in a greater risk.

Jean does not seem to have a terminal illness, unfortunately, which is likely to kill him within several months. You can't have fifty celebs with such a promising condition on DL, that's exactly what makes it kind of fun. Havelange, Mickey Rooney and Nancy Reagan were selected just to make the list an little bit more interesting, I think the former Grand Duke would fit the same criterium. Not all the royals are supposed to be as tough as the Queen Mum, are they?

Prince Philipp of England and prince Nikolas Romanov of Russia are in the same age (88) and I won't say their phisical condition much better then of Grand Duke Jean. Otherwise, despite an old age they all ain't like to be dying men. There are lot of younger celebrities with severe deseases whose life in a greater risk.

I think it is fairly obvious that Grand-Duke Jean is much more frail than the Duke of Edinburgh. You only need to look at recent photographs to see that. Also, the Duke of Edinburgh still has both his original hips.

Still, it may be worth putting Prince Philip on the list for the simple fact that if he were to die suddenly whilst not on the list, it would be a big miss. At 88, he could keel over at any minute regardless of his robust health. Especially due to his love of carriage racing (or whatever it is called). Also, there were rumours of a heart condition not too long ago.

In review, it is probable that the DoE will not die before the age of 90, but you may wish to stick him on the list just in case.

As for Jean, there is a greater possibility that he will die, but nobody would miss him or care.

This guy survived a year on one of my teams with virtually no news coverage and little sign of impending death. Not sure he's a prime candidate, despite the advanced age. Old royals get good medical attention and people in Europe's minor principalities often have access to a level of medical care the rest of us can only dream of. Those no/low income tax, high personal wealth, countries can provide the very best. So basically, if he has the slightest sign of cancer it would be zapped, a hear murmer would be detected in its infancy etc.

On the other hand, all those long centuries of inbreeding are supposed to take their toll eventually, aren't they?

I once read the story that before the Queen Mum and the late Duchess of Gloucester no British noble has ever made it to centenarian status since the eleventh century, due to the large amounts of lead in their game. Do we have any information on the gastronomic habits of Grand Duke Jean?

Guest WEP
On the other hand, all those long centuries of inbreeding are supposed to take their toll eventually, aren't they?

I once read the story that before the Queen Mum and the late Duchess of Gloucester no British noble has ever made it to centenarian status since the eleventh century, due to the large amounts of lead in their game. Do we have any information on the gastronomic habits of Grand Duke Jean?

An the next royal centenarian will be Princess Margarete of Thurn & Taxis, Princess Gaetano of Bourbon-Parma, who celebrates her 100th birthday on the 8th of November.

I do not know, but she seems do be a better choice, if you do not need an obituary...

I don't think that is a significant factor. There were very few centenarians only 50 years ago, so why should the Royal Family be any different? Queen Victoria married her first cousin, but some of their children lived into their 90s. On the other hand, the monarchs of the 20th Century died prematurely for obvious reasons. Edward VII died in his 60s only due excessive smoking (and probably eating), George V and Edward VIII died in their 70s due to smoking too much, and George VI died n his 50s due to smoking too much. It was their lifestyle which killed them, not their genes.

Ah, I remember where I read it! It was in the Guinness book of records (Dutch edition 1989) but I misquoted somewhat. At page 17 - on longevity records - it reads: "The largest social group in the world that has its ancestry documented for some time are the British nobles. In ten centuries, they only produced three centenarians and two of them made it to 101. This poor record is probably due to their extremely draughty housing and the amount of lead in their game."

An interesting theory, I guess, though not completely uncontroversial...

(...)

(...)

I don't think that is a significant factor.

(...)

I'm not sure about the inbreeding leading to limited royal life expectancy, but it is known to have caused severe health problems in the past - the most colourful misfit was the Spanish King Charles II (1661-1700):

Charles II's genome was more homozygous than in an average brother-sister offspring. He was born physically and mentally disabled, and disfigured. Possibly through affliction with mandibular prognathism, he was unable to chew. His tongue was so large that his speech could barely be understood, and he frequently drooled. He may also have suffered from the endocrine disease acromegaly.

Consequently, Charles II is known in Spanish history as El Hechizado ("The Hexed") from the popular belief – to which Charles himself subscribed – that his physical and mental disabilities were caused by "sorcery." The king was exorcised, and the case of his exorcisms remains one of the most sinister in the history of Spain. (Hume)

Not having learned to speak until the age of four nor to walk until eight, Charles was treated as virtually an infant until he was ten years old. Fearing the frail child would be overtaxed, his caretakers did not force Charles to attend school. The indolence of the young Charles was indulged to such an extent that at times he was not expected to be clean. When his half-brother Don John of Austria, a natural son of Philip IV, obtained power by exiling the queen mother from court, he covered his nose and insisted that the king should at least brush his hair.

Another example of the results of a limited genepool is of course the 'Royal disease', haemophilia.

Jean's somewhere in my Top 30 or 40 potential picks for next year... might be interesting to have someone from Luxembourg on the list... can't be bothered to check, but we've probably had less Luxembourgians than Belgians on the DL. He's certainly not doing spectacular in any case, but are there 50 people doing worse?

(...)

(...)

I don't think that is a significant factor.

(...)

I'm not sure about the inbreeding leading to limited royal life expectancy, but it is known to have caused severe health problems in the past - the most colourful misfit was the Spanish King Charles II (1661-1700):

Charles II's genome was more homozygous than in an average brother-sister offspring. He was born physically and mentally disabled, and disfigured. Possibly through affliction with mandibular prognathism, he was unable to chew. His tongue was so large that his speech could barely be understood, and he frequently drooled. He may also have suffered from the endocrine disease acromegaly.

Consequently, Charles II is known in Spanish history as El Hechizado ("The Hexed") from the popular belief – to which Charles himself subscribed – that his physical and mental disabilities were caused by "sorcery." The king was exorcised, and the case of his exorcisms remains one of the most sinister in the history of Spain. (Hume)

Not having learned to speak until the age of four nor to walk until eight, Charles was treated as virtually an infant until he was ten years old. Fearing the frail child would be overtaxed, his caretakers did not force Charles to attend school. The indolence of the young Charles was indulged to such an extent that at times he was not expected to be clean. When his half-brother Don John of Austria, a natural son of Philip IV, obtained power by exiling the queen mother from court, he covered his nose and insisted that the king should at least brush his hair.

Another example of the results of a limited genepool is of course the 'Royal disease', haemophilia.

If, indeed, it was a Royal disease (depending on if you count Queen Victoria as having Royal Blood (whos the Daddy)).

As Cowboy Ronnie might say if he were still around...

Oh the grand old Duke of Lux

He had a lovely thread

But he's got less chance of making the list

Than a loaf of mouldy bread.

And when he was snubb'd he was shunn'd

And when he was scorn'd he was spurn'd

And we found that a place on the hallowed list

For the Duke had not been earn'd.

Maybe he'll die in the next two months anyway.

He had a lovely thread

If the former Grand-Duke should accidently stumble upon this site whilst googling his name, you have to have a degree of sympathy for him.

What we are basically saying is that nobody cares if he lives or dies.

He is probably more famous than Brooke Astor...if that counts for anything. :)

He had a lovely thread

If the former Grand-Duke should accidently stumble upon this site whilst googling his name, you have to have a degree of sympathy for him.

...or Dai Llewellyn. Or Vincent O'Brien. Or Dino de Laurentiis...

He had a lovely thread

...or Dai Llewellyn. Or Vincent O'Brien. Or Dino de Laurentiis...

Well - that list will certainly have cheered him up. :P

Yeah, well: at least he's mentioned. That's the thing about being famous for nothing but your name, isn't it? Thank God he's not trying to make the headlines by doing silly things like staging a real life soap or spending ridiculous amounts of money on shopping (after being sure the papparazzi are invited).

Could Vaagheid run a poll?

I don't understand your question?

I'm not entirely sure either, but he probably wants you to make a poll in which we investigate whether GD Jean should be admitted to the DL 2010.

This, or it's just a rhetorical question of the same kind as 'does heaven know?'.

Jean of Luxembourg, is one of two people (the other is Bourgieos) I really like to see entering next years lists, but I am afraid that if I give them to much attention (by for instants starting a pol for the grand duke) it will take away there chances.

All nominations are gratefully recieved, studied, discussed at the admins secret meeting place, then ignored. Please continue with the nominations thank you. :)

Who added the subtitle 'no chance of being on the 2010 list' to this thread? I don't think Jean is given a fair chance by such a negative attitude! And what's more: he might develop a terminal illness before the DL 2010 is selected... It would be wise to change the subtitle to: 'a good pick, provided that he develops some kind of life-shortening condition before january 1st - other than the fact that he is ancient, looking half-dead, and is obit-guaranteed'.

Could any of you mods please adapt it to this more fitting description?