Sign in to follow this  
Tomb raider

Former Grand Duke Jean Of Luxembourg

Who added the subtitle 'no chance of being on the 2010 list' to this thread? I don't think Jean is given a fair chance by such a negative attitude! And what's more: he might develop a terminal illness before the DL 2010 is selected... It would be wise to change the subtitle to: 'a good pick, provided that he develops some kind of life-shortening condition before january 1st - other than the fact that he is ancient, looking half-dead, and is obit-guaranteed'.

Could any of you mods please adapt it to this more fitting description?

Maybe not exactly what you wanted, but will that do?

Old Jean has good genes. His first cousin is famous royal codger Otto von Habsburg, who is 97 this month (and also has two brothers still alive in their 90s). Many of his other relatives have lived into their 90s.

Who added the subtitle 'no chance of being on the 2010 list' to this thread? I don't think Jean is given a fair chance by such a negative attitude! And what's more: he might develop a terminal illness before the DL 2010 is selected... It would be wise to change the subtitle to: 'a good pick, provided that he develops some kind of life-shortening condition before january 1st - other than the fact that he is ancient, looking half-dead, and is obit-guaranteed'.

Could any of you mods please adapt it to this more fitting description?

Maybe not exactly what you wanted, but will that do?

I think that's a fair compromise, thanks.

I'm not too sure about the description 'boring', though, knowing that some DL-picks have caused no coverage whatsoever for over a year and no posts on their thread for almost two years (Shamir). In ten months time Pierre Cardin had eight posts, Joao Havelange ten, including the ones that complain about the dullness of the thread... Former GD Jean received 26 replies (this being the 27th) within a week, which indicates that this 'boring non-entity' is tickling our nerves far more than this year's number 4-pick. :)

Old Jean has good genes. His first cousin is famous royal codger Otto von Habsburg, who is 97 this month (and also has two brothers still alive in their 90s). Many of his other relatives have lived into their 90s.

O, good old Otto von Habsburg! For not-DL-related purposes I searched him on the internet just the other day. His mother, the last Austrian empress Zita, died twenty years ago, aged 97 as well. Her husband only made it to 35, though I believe the Grandducal family to be related to Zita's house of Bourbon-Parme and not to the Habsburgers - feel free to prove me wrong on this. (Of course: Jean's eldest daughter married a Habsburg prince, but that's not supposed to contribute to Jean's gene pool, obviously).

And what's more: Jean is going on 89 next january, he's already shown his strong genes. And they're due to falter sometimes, aren't they?

Hmm my uncle just died at the age of 54. My real mom died at 51. I have some stories that would make a snake puke. I ain't bragging or nothing. I think my family has the life expetancy of a red indian family that hacks paint, or knife weilding gypsies.

O, good old Otto von Habsburg! For not-DL-related purposes I searched him on the internet just the other day. His mother, the last Austrian empress Zita, died twenty years ago, aged 97 as well. Her husband only made it to 35, though I believe the Grandducal family to be related to Zita's house of Bourbon-Parme and not to the Habsburgers - feel free to prove me wrong on this. (Of course: Jean's eldest daughter married a Habsburg prince, but that's not supposed to contribute to Jean's gene pool, obviously).

Jean is the son of Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma, who was Zita's younger brother. Jean's mother Grand Duchess Charlotte, lived to 91 as well. Most of these nonagenerians are descendants of the marriage of King Miguel of Portugal and Princess Adelaide of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. Both Jean's parents were grandchildren of Miguel and Adelaide.

The Habsburgs, however, tend to have average lifespans, presuming they don't get shot or catch TB or pneumonia.

Princess Elisabeth of Luxembourg dead at 89:

http://www.standaard...DMF20111122_193

http://en.wikipedia....ss_of_Hohenberg

She was Jean's sister. Other surviving siblings are Princess Marie Gabrielle Aldegunde Wilhelmine Louise (born 2 August 1925) and Alix Marie Anne Antoinette Charlotte Gabrielle, Dowager Princess of Ligne, Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma (born 24 August 1929.)

Bye bye....

Question is whether he or Kathleen Blanco will become the first crowdsource list hit of the year (watch it be someone else tomorrow)...

10 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

My psychic powers tell me that he's going to live to 100, so he should be fine until 2021

Talk about low quality posting....

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

My psychic powers tell me that he's going to live to 100, so he should be fine until 2021

1 hour ago, drol said:

Talk about low quality posting....

Pot, kettle, black. 

17 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Pot, kettle, black. 

Maybe my first times here. Apart from complaining about lack of deaths, when I come here I post about fucking facts, things that have really happened and not the stupid kind of banter/shit you fill the extra-curricular forum with. You can say what the hell you want, but a poster who cares about facts above all can not be a bad one. Well, we all laughed so hard at your joke. Now you can go to Richard O'Sullivan thread to write some HQ posts as you usually do.

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Question is whether he or Kathleen Blanco will become the first crowdsource list hit of the year (watch it be someone else tomorrow)...

Well, looks like I jinxed it with someone else...

• Like 2

Another grand old man dead within days. Things are beginning to move

• Like 2

It's a morning of big deaths , what with Ken Kercheval gone  in the last hour or so too http://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/luxembourg/breaking-grand-duke-jean-of-luxembourg-dies-at-the-age-of-98-119830

I think this means that the Queen is now the oldest living current or former monarch in the world 

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:38, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Please don't do the lottery ! :lol:

9 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

It's a morning of big deaths , what with Ken Kercheval gone  in the last hour or so too http://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/luxembourg/breaking-grand-duke-jean-of-luxembourg-dies-at-the-age-of-98-119830

I think this means that the Queen is now the oldest living current or former monarch in the world 

I Think Ken Kercheval is a hoax mate

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

I Think Ken Kercheval is a hoax mate

I realise that now.But you never know...