Typhoid Harry

Uzi Hitman

This really belongs in the Dead Losses thread, and I'll merge it later, but this is too good to bury. Punsters, do your worst! :)

Uzi Hitman

Singer, songwriter and composer Uzi Hitman dies at 52

By Haaretz Service and AP

The Israeli singer and songwriter Uzi Hitman, who composed the song "Adon Olam," died of a heart attack Saturday night, at the age of 52.

Hitman, who was one of the most popular songwriters and performers in Israel in the 1980s and 1990s, began his career at the 1976 Hasidic Song Festival, where he performed "Adon Olam," a traditional Jewish prayer for which he had composed music.

His famous songs include "Noladati Lashalom" (I was born for peace), "Ratziti Sheteda" (I wanted you to know) and "Kan" (Here), which was performed by Orna and Moshe Datz and reached the third place at the 1991 Eurovision Song Contest.

Hitman later dedicated "Noladati Lashalom," to Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, the first Arab leader to sign a peace agreement with Israel.

The birth of Hitman's eldest son, Ido, in 1978 also inspired the song, Ido Hitman told Army Radio on Sunday.

After Hitman received a guitar from his parents at age 11, he went on to sing during his military service in the Israel Defense Forces.

"Dad was married to the State of Israel," his son told Army Radio. "More than my mother, more than his children, he loved the country... He simply loved the state, he loved the land."

In the early 1980s, Hitman appeared in the children's television program "Parpar Nehmad," and later in "Hopa Hei," another popular children's program.

Igal Bashon, who sang with Hitman in Hopa Hei, said he was known for his sense of humor.

"He was the king of the country," Bashon told Army Radio. "Uzi possessed great magic and the talent he was born with was rare."

In 2001, Hitman was presented with the ACUM Prize (Association of Composers, Authors and Publishers of Music in Israel) for lifetime achievement.

He was laid to rest at the Yarkon Cemetery, near Tel Aviv, on Sunday afternoon. Education Minister Limor Livnat was among the eulogizers.

Guest Guest

:(:) uzi was beautiful-

i love uzi

Bet you forgot this one TH.

In my extreme boredom before a committee meeting, I submit to the great DL moderators, another thread that requires dealing with in one manner or another.

I shall make it my duty until my meeting to help make the mods aware of such threads and, since presumably most will be either deleted, merged or discussed, my posts about the waste of these posts shall not be wasted posts themselves.

This really belongs in the Dead Losses thread, and I'll merge it later, but this is too good to bury.

Over a year latewer and wstill its not merged. What gives>?

He was a great songwriter and wrote lots of wonderful songs for Ilanit, amongst others. Amd if you ask me 'Kan' was robbed in 1991 - a far better song than the Swedish and French efforts that beat it.

That 10 months between June 2004 and April 2005 wasn't a very good time for Israeli singer-songwriters, what with Naomi Shemer, Ehud Manor and the aforementioned Hitman all dying. I know that if I was Nurit Hirsh I'd have been looking over my shoulder... <_<

I know that if I was Nurit Hirsh I'd have been looking over my shoulder... <_<

Don't put his name through the anagram generator!

I know that if I was Nurit Hirsh I'd have been looking over my shoulder... :)

Don't put his name through the anagram generator!

Nurit Hirsh is a she... First ever female to conduct a winning song in the Eurovision (A Ba Ni Bi in 1978, which she also co-wrote with the late Ehud Manor), and would have been first female ESC conductor in 1973 had it not been for pesky Sweden.

Do stop me, I can witter on about Eurovision forever... :)

EDIT: flippin' cookies not bothering to set themselves...

In my extreme boredom before a committee meeting, I submit to the great DL moderators, another thread that requires dealing with in one manner or another.

I shall make it my duty until my meeting to help make the mods aware of such threads and, since presumably most will be either deleted, merged or discussed, my posts about the waste of these posts shall not be wasted posts themselves.

The "Dead losses" thread is really the "Near Misses For 2004" thread, so I don't think it will make much sense to merge both of them.

I will leave them the way that they are.

Regards,

ff