Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2010

Hey, I dont know if you knew this or not, but I noticed that the team, Stop All the Clocks didnt get a unique pick symbol for Charo.

Hey, I dont know if you knew this or not, but I noticed that the team, Stop All the Clocks didnt get a unique pick symbol for Charo.

That's a bit odd. I've checked the database and it seems OK.

It might work when I've re-generated the pages, which I'll need to with all the extra teams/best positions/ corrections stuff which I have to add.

In fact, for a brief period while my entry curfew is lifted, I'm going to take the pages down again, in case anyone has a sneaky peak while making up teams....

Entering my 5th year in DDP and still trying to break the top 40. It may just have happened last year if the pesky Daily Mail would have followed up the Joanne Evans cancer story with her death. No amount of obituary request letters i sent managed to change their mind.

Wow, you and me both. She was my joker. 'twas a bad year :(

She was my joker. 'twas a bad year

I know it's like comparing the Blue Square with the Premiership, but Ms Evans and Peter Arundell both got enough of a write up to score Deathrace points.

There are some very impressive teams this year. But still, they probably won't be able to outmatch DL's finest.

It seems that quite a few teams from last year are missing. Do you know of any teams who have changed their names?

Some have but they're not any of the 'biggies'...

I don't know what's happened to some of the contenders from last year. Godot we all know about. He has retired from dead pools

and the like.

Ethnic Cleansing, Heaven Knows, No Noose also no shows...

Still, opens things up, doesn't it? :(

I should think "Scottish Squid Bricklaying Alamo Volunteers" is one of us...

I'm sure Godot is still taking part, TMIB

Actually, I think Ethnic Cleansing will be in DDP 2010 as I've uncovered another couple of emails. They were late, but within my absolute deadline of 11am 01/01...

Deathlist will be there too, as there is a 'gentlemans' agreement...

In fact, bollocks to it, deadline or no deadline, I'm going to put in the ones who came in after 01/01 as well, because I have knickers in a twist over this one...

Spead the word, I'm open to entries until midnight tonight. After that, then definitely, definitely no more....

Twelvetrees...yer in! :)

Right that is that. I'm entering no more teams....

Congrats TMIB.

It's always like this - you feel chuffed with yourself that you've done it & then people start mentioning "this is wrong" etc & you feel crushed.

I only had time last night to check my team & the A's.

Two things - one I am amazed to get 5 unique picks & am astonished Flowers, Mears & Andrea all escaped the DDP radar - Alvarez too.

Secondly, I will send you a long list of things that need tweaking, but I won't do this for a while as most of it will be fine. Mind you, the one thing I will point out is Bertram Archer is already on the DDP as Bertram Stuart Trelevyan Archer (S). So you can link those up & delete the old one. Mind you, I made the same boob with Mahmoud Az-Zahar last year (or whatever he's called) so I wouldn't worry much.

Most of the tweaks are either my errors or things that I did that probably need updating. The scores (and best placings) are largely down to me originally & the system didn't change that, so I'll need to help you with that.

An excellent job - proof that the right person took it over. I feel quitely confident with my team....

Congrats TMIB.

It's always like this - you feel chuffed with yourself that you've done it & then people start mentioning "this is wrong" etc & you feel crushed.

Two things - one I am amazed to get 5 unique picks & am astonished Flowers, Mears & Andrea all escaped the DDP radar - Alvarez too.

Secondly, I will send you a long list of things that need tweaking, but I won't do this for a while as most of it will be fine. Mind you, the one thing I will point out is Bertram Archer is already on the DDP as Bertram Stuart Trelevyan Archer (S). So you can link those up & delete the old one. Mind you, I made the same boob with Mahmoud Az-Zahar last year (or whatever he's called) so I wouldn't worry much.

Most of the tweaks are either my errors or things that I did that probably need updating. The scores (and best placings) are largely down to me originally & the system didn't change that, so I'll need to help you with that.

An excellent job - proof that the right person took it over. I feel quitely confident with my team....

You think? It's all gone a bit farcical today. I decided to open up the entries a little longer (don't ask me why, caprice I think) and I get two emails crammed with my uniques!

Funny they zeroed in on my picks. But's that's better than them taking other people's uniques I suppose...

...which is why I've decided...to withdraw my team.

I feel compromised putting in my own team and was uncomfortable with the idea that it might win (it probably won't but you never know).

So for this year at least I'm going to be host and host only.

So those two 'lucky loser' teams will have between them 7 uniques of my chosing....

Entering my 5th year in DDP and still trying to break the top 40. It may just have happened last year if the pesky Daily Mail would have followed up the Joanne Evans cancer story with her death. No amount of obituary request letters i sent managed to change their mind.

Wow, you and me both. She was my joker. 'twas a bad year :)

She was mine too. I also had an already dead pick. Add Linda Uttley and I coulda bin a contenda, instead of a bum, which is what I am. :(

Congrats TMIB.

You think? It's all gone a bit farcical today. I decided to open up the entries a little longer (don't ask me why, caprice I think) and I get two emails crammed with my uniques!

Funny they zeroed in on my picks. But's that's better than them taking other people's uniques I suppose...

I feel compromised putting in my own team and was uncomfortable with the idea that it might win (it probably won't but you never know).

So those two 'lucky loser' teams will have between them 7 uniques of my chosing....

I can give you a late entry on the NDP, if you want?

Because you gave me the space to change my DDP entry after I had send him in.

Why thanks Vaagheid. I was so busy with DDP I didn't have time to think up a team for the NDP...

I'll read the rules and send in a team pronto, shall I PM you?

(Oh and I won't look at anyone's teams!)

Well, I think that's a huge shame, but in some ways it does make it easier. To be honest, if I did win this year, I would still feel uncomfotable simply because people could say "oh, you picked people from other entries". In fact, my team selection is anything but - 5 uniques & 15 all picked heavily by other teams. But there's still that thought at the back of my head if it would be a tainted victory, which is nonsense. I did consider only hosting it in 2008, but though, hell no. Play it & enjoy it!

Anyway, trust me, you're doing fine. It will settle down - it normally took until April to do so, but it will get there & I should have time until sproglet appears in March to help out.

I think it is just a shame that these teams can't sort themselves out by a deadline. If everyone else can do it, why not them?

You should play Blackie. Only pathetic whiners are going to accuse you of cheating. Almost everyone is going to be grateful for your hard work. Excellent job getting everything in so soon, by the way.

No problem letting Blackie in Vaagy old buddy, as long as he buys me a beer and a summat.

That's fuckin ridiculous man. About an hour ago I was going to say how I felt reopening the entry deadline wouldn't be a very wise move. The deadline is the deadline. That's it. I actually thought it was ultra generous of you to extend the deadline to 11 AM New Years Day. This is an outrage.

I'm going to pull for you tonight. I think you should delete those entries.

If you take your team out of the DDP because a couple of schmucks stole your picks .. a couple of scum bags who are laughing their way to the bank with your picks .. which was probably intentional ..

I'm out.

I can't be apart of the DDP if it's organizer will let a misjudgment ruin his 2010 DDP experience.

This puts me in a bit of a spot, I shall have to sleep on this...

One thing all competitors have from the start is that equal opportunity. The reopening puts those recent entries at an advantage, and my interpretation of this is that these recent entries were "somebody's sense of humor" that has ultimately bought you out and I find that very disturbing. I do not see anything wrong with adding the list of Twelvetrees to the group, but his tardiness shouldn't have opened a door for a peeking Tom who did a little browsing and collected all the good stuff.

And if you did win the DDP - it would be a victory earned. All unique picks who die are earned. I'm pretty sure luck makes us all innocent.

No problem letting Blackie in Vaagy old buddy, as long as he buys me a beer and a summat.

If not I'll buy you beer and bitterballen if you are ever in Holland

You could go to De Hems Pub in Soho, London. It's a Dutch pub where they serve bitterballen and all sorts of Dutch beer. I've been there last year and it's a wonderful place.

TMIB: you could also check the Dutch newspapers for obits in the NDP there, for I agree with Vaagy and the others that you should join us! Who cares about the deadline, we're just having a laugh and there's only 6 or 7 of us... it's quite different from the DDP where there's about 500 participants and a deadline is to be maintained - not only because of the fairness-argument (for which I don't give a damn) but mainly because you should not make things more difficult for yourself than they already are.

It's your game, of course, feel free to act in whatever way you want.

TMIB, thankyou for checking your inbox for my entry, its a joint effort and as I have responsibility for entering it I wouldn't want my co-conspirator to accuse me of slacking/forgetting.

I think you should play, its a game of skill and luck and as a seasoned deadpooler no-one should be surprised if your team is close to the top.

I don't see any of the whingers or cheats lining up to offer you assistance as "The host" so fuck em, its your show this year. Good luck!!!

Anyway, away frm the recent controversy and on to toe next in our list of The Dying of 2010

And at Number 7 it's...

ariel-sharon.jpg

Ariel Sharon

The famously comatose ex-Irsraeli PM remains a popular choice and moves up from 9 to 7 from last year even

though he's been chosen by slightly less. Four years prone, will he hang on for another year?

Mind you, the one thing I will point out is Bertram Archer is already on the DDP as Bertram Stuart Trelevyan Archer (S).

Ah good old Bertie

He was my unique pick for the last 2 years but not made the squad this year i'm afraid.

No offence to whoever has Bertie in their team but i hope he is immortal.

On the subjest of TMIB. It would be an absolute shame that the host could not compete. I used to enjoy tracking OoO's progress and would have done the same for TMIB.

Get your team in and enjoy it with the rest of us!!

Do what you think is appropriate Blackie, I'm in no matter what but I think that BS has a point that a deadline is a deadline. I held off until the last few days to get my team in but everyone should be in by the end of 2009, London time.

Oh - that's a shame - noble, but I for one, would sooner have you play "your" game too.

Please do re-consider.

Likewise the late entries - it's your call and I back you in what ever you do with them.

It's a hell of a load of work putting it together over 450 teams and you and OoO are to be commended. RK & SB also take a bow too 'cus they held it together very well too.