Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2010

I'm back in now.... :(

475 teams will now compete in this years Derby Dead Pool.

I've decide to accept the other two, one because by removing myself, they would get my unique choices which puts them to an advantage, although neither

team is likely to win. Two, non of us would have the advantage of there being those unique picks anyway, lessening my chances of winning to the degree

that I'm confident now that I wont. Three, had I told those two teams to get stuffed I would stand accused of arbitrarily choosing to accept/decline teams to my own advantage. And four, the two teams actually chipped in with some unique and interesting choices in themselves, so who can deny them

that break? It was my call..

I will review the rules in the coming year and the process of entry which wasn't entirely to my satisfaction this year...

So, we're all present and correct..

We're up to number 6 in the countdown to The Dying of 2010, the choice of all the competitors in the DDP.

And it's...

kirk_douglas.jpg

Kirk Douglas

Will our dimple-chinned film legend make a dent in this year's DDP? Time will tell...

TMIB: I think you definitely made the right decision, and I will not be withdrawing my team. It was enough that the Telegraph screwed me .. why should I screw myself?

I do have a gut feeling that 2010 will be a very original and eventful year. Maybe the year of prosperity. The year everyone reunites with that mindset of summers passed. The year everyone regains what they thought was gone forever. Yeah .. I could see that.

TMIB: I think you definitely made the right decision, and I will not be withdrawing my team. It was enough that the Telegraph screwed me .. why should I screw myself?

I do have a gut feeling that 2010 will be a very original and eventful year. Maybe the year of prosperity. The year everyone reunites with that mindset of summers passed. The year everyone regains what they thought was gone forever. Yeah .. I could see that.

An open goal.......so tempting...........

We're up to number 5 of the The Dying of 2010...

norman-wisdom.jpg?height=211&quality=0.91

Sir Norman Wisdom

Will the cheeky chappie's demise cause an outpouring of grief in Albanaia to match that of Princess Diana?

Not wishing to denigrate the tremendous amount of work that has gone into this years Derby Dead Pool, there appears to be a glaring omission in Derek Fowlds' 'biography'

"Actor, best known as the PPS Bernard Woolley in 'Yes Minister' and as grouchy policeman turned pub landlord Oscar Blaketon in 'Heartbeat'" - thats all very well but what about this

basil-brush-show02.jpg?

Just been prompted to find a couple more entries down the back of the proverbial armchair, so we'll soon be up to 477 entris, just three short of the record...

Miep Gies and Erich Rohmer have both died, just waiting on their place of death and I'll update them as well as the new teams when I get that info...

Not wishing to denigrate the tremendous amount of work that has gone into this years Derby Dead Pool, there appears to be a glaring omission in Derek Fowlds' 'biography'

"Actor, best known as the PPS Bernard Woolley in 'Yes Minister' and as grouchy policeman turned pub landlord Oscar Blaketon in 'Heartbeat'" - thats all very well but what about this

basil-brush-show02.jpg?

You haven't been paying attention my son...

Look at his name... :rolleyes:

Just been prompted to find a couple more entries down the back of the proverbial armchair, so we'll soon be up to 477 entris, just three short of the record...

Miep Gies and Erich Rohmer have both died, just waiting on their place of death and I'll update them as well as the new teams when I get that info...

TMIB,

I normally just took that from Wikipedia as most of the time it's not in the articles. Rohmer died in Paris, for example.

Gies, I'm not sure, so I am sure one of our Dutch contributors can confirm. Worst comes to the worst, just update it without a deathplace.

Gies, I'm not sure, so I am sure one of our Dutch contributors can confirm. Worst comes to the worst, just update it without a deathplace.

It's not quite clear where she died. Dutch news sites say "the Netherlands" or nothing at all. Dutch Wikipedia claims "West-Friesland", which is an area, not a place.

I'll keep an eye on it and report when I know more.

regards,

Hein

(image removed to save space)

You haven't been paying attention my son...

Look at his name... :rolleyes:

Waaaaaaaaaaay too subtle for me at that time of night! Humble apologies.

Into the last four of The Dying of 2010 and at number 4 is..

castro2.jpg

Fidel Castro

The old communist trouper is still hanging in there although brother Raul is effectivley in charge. Only one other person on this list

has divided people and they are yet to come..

TMIB,

thought I help you a bit with your missing pictures:

Dick Bruna

Corneille

If you have more Dutchspeaking folks without a picture, just say it and I will post some more of those photos.

Does a missing picture mean it hasnt loaded or you dont have one? If this is so, I can help you out with Sotomayor, Palin, A. Ibrahim, Brazauskas, Mardones, and the 3 former Survivor contestants in the DDP.

TMIB,

thought I help you a bit with your missing pictures:

Dick Bruna

Corneille

If you have more Dutchspeaking folks without a picture, just say it and I will post some more of those photos.

Does a missing picture mean it hasnt loaded or you dont have one? If this is so, I can help you out with Sotomayor, Palin, A. Ibrahim, Brazauskas, Mardones, and the 3 former Survivor contestants in the DDP.

Best to email me at ddp2010@derbydeadpool.co.uk..

You can send them all bar Palin. I know what I'm putting in for her...

Ok. It seems my first hit on the DDP may end up being on the list of the lost. So, I have a couple suggestions for maninblack. In previous years, people on the list of the lost dont get gravestones in their boxes or lines through their names on team lists. I'm suggesting that those people get those to commemorate the celebrity and so we can really see whos dead and whos alive when we look at our lists.

Ok. It seems my first hit on the DDP may end up being on the list of the lost. So, I have a couple suggestions for maninblack. In previous years, people on the list of the lost dont get gravestones in their boxes or lines through their names on team lists. I'm suggesting that those people get those to commemorate the celebrity and so we can really see whos dead and whos alive when we look at our lists.

Hmmm...

Not promising anything, but I'll see what I can do...

That was the whole point of the list of the lost, so that people could see who's alive or dead. (likewise the List of the Missed)

Unfortunately, I doubt it is possible, unless TMIB can come up with code, as the system does not distinguish between a dead celeb with an obit, and one without. Therefore to get what you want, it would mark the celeb as having an obit, award scores & generally bugger it up. I can't really see any way the system can be changed, and for the sake of perhaps 20 celebs out of 2,044 odd, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

It would probably be best to write your team out & get a pen & draw it through for the dead. A bit basic, perhaps, but it works for me.

But let's see if TMIB can find a solution - if he can, he's done very well.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Jean Simmons died. That's a unique DDP-pick for the team with the rather curious name 'Dead, dead and never called me mother', good for 9 points and a shared number 2 spot.

Is it me, or are things moving rather slow at the DDP? By this time last year, there were three times as many hits (21 to 7). Or are we just waiting for obits?

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Jean Simmons died. That's a unique DDP-pick for the team with the rather curious name 'Dead, dead and never called me mother', good for 9 points and a shared number 2 spot.

Is it me, or are things moving rather slow at the DDP? By this time last year, there were three times as many hits (21 to 7). Or are we just waiting for obits?

It's just that not as many people are dying as this time last year...

Two are awaiting obits: Petra Schumann and Jenn Lyon.

Three have got them and await updating onto the site: Simmons, Quarrington and Wild...

the rather curious name 'Dead, dead and never called me mother'

East Lynne

MIB: we're still waiting for the top three-spots in the DDP-countdown! I placed a bet on them (and I'm too lazy to count the number of picks on the DDP itself... :wub: )

Oh yeah...

I've been busy lately...

OK. No time like the present is there?

Number 3 in the Dying of 2010 is...

biggsyy460x276.jpg

Ronnie Biggs

The Great Train Robber has garnered 227 nominations for 2010. Will he outfox us all again?

Oh by the way: An addendum to my email from last night. There have been 291 deaths in the last 2 years, not 391...

Number 2 in the Dying of 2010...

Abdelbaset-Ali-Mohmed-Al-Megrahi.jpg

Abdelbaset al Megrahi

I for one will be hoping he snuffs in in the next few months, just so I don't have to correct the spelling of his name about 200 bloody times! ;)