Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2010

Yet more virulent anti-papism from the British press.

The dead Nigerian chap was a pick for the DDP's current no. 7, the 9 points mean we have a new runner up, me thinks! Can't wait for TMIB coming home to confirm.

Now I think of it: he has been to Canada, and the Montreal Gazette published an obit on Cardinal Mayer. Would that count for the DDP? Let's face it: TMIB makes the rules, and Canada is almost British, isn't it?

The dead Nigerian chap was a pick for the DDP's current no. 7, the 9 points mean we have a new runner up, me thinks! Can't wait for TMIB coming home to confirm.

Now I think of it: he has been to Canada, and the Montreal Gazette published an obit on Cardinal Mayer. Would that count for the DDP? Let's face it: TMIB makes the rules, and Canada is almost British, isn't it?

I can't wait as well. 14 points for Harwell and Yar'. Maybe top 5.

Montreal is more 'almost French'.

Yar A'dua is my first hit o' the year on DDP, which means my team has ascended to the dizzying heights of 86th place! :unsure:

Just to let you all know that the pages have been updated.

The email(s) will follow this week.

Ronnie will have to wait...

!!!! For 14 days, Ive had no idea Kama Chinen died! Im finally on the board! Even if its like 3 points, It feels nice to be included :(

Well done TMIB.

However one correcton - Lilienthal has got a UK obit, pushing Grobler even further in the lead - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9068304 or http://news.scotsman.com/obituaries/Obitua...thal.6290973.jp

I sent you a email with a few bits & pieces - did you get it at all? I need to send you another one shoryly with a few more additions.

PS Hank Jones has gone today - that's another for List of the Missed. I was only checking on his status last night which was alive, when in fact he was already dead....

Rosa Rio has been overlooked in the recent update. She popped her clogs on 13th May. I can only find this UK obit which I don't suppose for one minute will be adequate.

Rosa Rio can step in for Andor and I'll add Ronnie to the dead too as I haven't penned the emails yet, so more changes to come...

Welcome back! Thanks for all the hard work!

Still no obit for Paul Cardinal Mayer! This is not looking good... Why would any news agency in its right mind mention the passing of some ancient catholic dude three weeks ago? Especially when you need your webspace to inform people of the 'soccerettes'.

As mentioned in the cardinals-thread, Paul Cardinal Mayer (98) has passed away! A unique pick for me at the DDP - provided that he will get a UK-obit...

Haven't found one thus far...

Edit: the 8 points would make me shared no. 14 in the DDP! I'm so excited!

Hmm, no obit yet. His funeral was yesterday, the pope himself attended the service, so I'm sure that at least one serious British news agency should have noticed...

I found obits in American, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Australian and Arab Emirates (?!) media, where is the British one? Surely they could spare a line or two in that massive load of bullsh*t they publish day after day?

John William Finn - 97-year-old Pearl Harbor hero (oldest living Medal of Honour receipient).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Finn

Would he get an obit?

A US one: certainly. A UK one: I doubt it.

regards,

Hein

Unique hit for The Vyrdolak if AP counts.

May as well step it up a notch and go with The Telegraph

The problem I'm findng with Telegraph obits is that the URL is too long and so doesn't fit in the DDP database...

The problem I'm findng with Telegraph obits is that the URL is too long and so doesn't fit in the DDP database...

Best thing to do, as I did, is to link to the obit in the emails, but simply link to the obits page as the actual link in the profile. Not perfect, but then at least everyone gets their due obit & points in a way.

Think I might be in the top 10 now Hopper's dead?

Best thing to do, as I did, is to link to the obit in the emails, but simply link to the obits page as the actual link in the profile. Not perfect, but then at least everyone gets their due obit & points in a way.

Think I might be in the top 10 now Hopper's dead?

Got my first hit too. Last one was in September with Atkins...

Once again I'm not doing too well.

Hopefully Megrahi will die some time soon as he is my joker for the second year running.

I'll leave Ohno till next time as she's June...

Fixed. Not gonna lie, made the same mistake first time I saw a photo of him.

Guest WEP
I'll leave Ohno till next time as she's June...

Fixed. Not gonna lie, made the same mistake first time I saw a photo of him.

Same thing happened to Signe Johansson-Engdahl, who was in fact a woman!