Octopus of Odstock

Derby Dead Pool 2010

Raymond Hewlett died in April according to the Sun. Does that help anyone?

Yes it does because the assumption was that he died last year!

This suggests that he died in December/January though...it's not impossible that the Sun are confusing his actual date of death with the date his death was made public...

Yes, I think you might be right. Local newspapers in Blackpool reported his death in April, where he died in Germany, but does not specify when..

Link

So no points....

and more shocking 'churnalism' from Sun hacks whom I expect no better of!

It's probably just sloppy journalism, but the Daily Mail and The Shropshire Star also state that Raymond Hewlett died in April.

Mail:

Today his son Wayne claimed to the Sun that the letter was delivered to him by a mystery man a week after he died in April.

Shropshire Star:

Hewlett, who died from throat cancer in April, aged 62.

I remain to be convinced that he died in 2009...

It's probably just sloppy journalism, but the Daily Mail and The Shropshire Star also state that Raymond Hewlett died in April.

Mail:

Today his son Wayne claimed to the Sun that the letter was delivered to him by a mystery man a week after he died in April.

Shropshire Star:

Hmmm. He's dead, honest Guv, he even got cremated 'an all...

Do I detect a whiff of rat?

Mail:

Shropshire Star:

Hmmm. He's dead, honest Guv, he even got cremated 'an all...

Do I detect a whiff of rat?

The Sun broke this story (as they have a long running interest in paedophilia) so I would guess that they first made the mistake, and journalists basically copied that mistake.

Perhaps we should find out where his son lives and ask him.

The Find Maddie Campaign are likely to have an inside track on this, anyone up for ringing them?

The Find Maddie Campaign are likely to have an inside track on this, anyone up for ringing them?

Don't know anything about the guy or about the Sun's mistakes, but seeing a photograph of Hewlett for the first time made me wonder why so many paedophiles look that creepy... No child or parent in his right mind would trust a guy like this (founder of the now dissolved Dutch pedo party), this or this?! Or is it just the ugly ones that get attention and is it the guy-next-door that we should be afraid of?

Raymond Hewlett was posted as dead in December and this source was reporting it on 10 April.

Much as it pains me to revive this report, the April death claims do smack of sloppy journalism based on these earlier reports.

Man, Grobler's all catching his second wind in this one. Big Malcolm puts him just three points behind OoO. This one is gonna go down to the wire.

Man, Grobler's all catching his second wind in this one. Big Malcolm puts him just three points behind OoO. This one is gonna go down to the wire.

Yes, he's had a long dry patch, but now he's back in the hunt...

Not any more, he's not..... :(

That said, I still think I need one of my unique hits to go to realistically stand any chance of winning the competition.

Not any more, he's not..... :(

That said, I still think I need one of my unique hits to go to realistically stand any chance of winning the competition.

I think it's going be a very tight finish indeed...

The news on Hartson's robust health has killed it for me. After some steady improvement I was nursing a fantasy that the striker would bring my team a late goal fest but looking at the list of duds I have left, there's no real strength in depth this year. It's the Liverpool of the DDP. I tried to pick a young side but they just haven't delivered in the graveyard where it matters. :P

Looking at who's left in play... I think OoO has left the other competitors needing snookers. An Al-Megrahi death would certainly shake things up, being as he's "If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course"''s captain, but other than that... Badly Torn Boy has big potential points scorers in Greatbatch and Steve Prescott, both of whom are a matter of when not ifs, but I dunno if they can manage it this year.

I think Oddstock can start off cautiously penning his victory speech now.

(Edit: apparently Shaun Greatbatch's cancer is in remission? WHERE WERE OUR "POSSIBILITIES FOR 2011" RESEARCHERS ON THIS?)

Looking at who's left in play... I think OoO has left the other competitors needing snookers. An Al-Megrahi death would certainly shake things up, being as he's "If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course"''s captain, but other than that... Badly Torn Boy has big potential points scorers in Greatbatch and Steve Prescott, both of whom are a matter of when not ifs, but I dunno if they can manage it this year.

I think Oddstock can start off cautiously penning his victory speech now.

(Edit: apparently Shaun Greatbatch's cancer is in remission? WHERE WERE OUR "POSSIBILITIES FOR 2011" RESEARCHERS ON THIS?)

Yes it's been a funny year. There'll almost certainly will be around 165-170 hits which would be a record and yet OoO sits proudly on top with 71 points, way down on the record of 109 from 2007. Not a lot of big scoring fish-in-a-barrel hits like in 2008 for example where we just filled our collective boots! The shadow of Al Megrahi hangs over this year's competiton, deadpoolings very own bogey man...

Looking at who's left in play... I think OoO has left the other competitors needing snookers. An Al-Megrahi death would certainly shake things up, being as he's "If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course"''s captain, but other than that...

Yes, wishing I'd been bold enough to give the armband to MacCorkindale now, but c'est la mort ....

Anyone good with Apple computers? Because a Derby Dead Pool iPod App would be fun to have..

Crumbs. I may actually win it....

I think it's safe to say...congratulations and a happy new year! :birthday2:

Well done, OoO - richly deserved. 1.gif

Crumbs. I may actually win it....

It seems you did. Well done!

regards,

Hein

Congrats OoO!

2010 was a deathlist personal disaster for me and I'm happy to see the back of it.

Yes. Well done OoO. I was going to text you but I lost my mobile a couple of weeks ago. All hail the DDP 2010 champion!