888-333

Most Significant Death Of Each Month

Sir Creep answers the 7-month call!

First death of anyone significant 2017:  (1/2) Jean Vuarnet, French downhill skier

Most significant:
January: TIE (1/2) J2 'Granny' the oldest known orca (105 yrs) as per the Center for Whale Research; (1/6) Tilikum, an orca at SeaWorld who once killed a person.

Honourable mention: (1/13) William Peter Blatty, author of The Exorcist, cuz he was my first HIT this year.  Jaki Liebezeit, Mike Connors, John Hurt, and John Wetton (the honest winner).
February: (2/4) Max Wilcox, Grammy winning record producer, cuz I can't think of anyone else with an X in their first and last names [but see: Xhoana Xheneti of Entourage and Nip/Tuck 'fame'].

Honourable mention: (2/10) Mike Ilitch, owner of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, and Little Caesar's pizza (based in Detroit) (the honest winner).  Alan Simpson, Walter 'Junie' Morrison, George 'The Animal' Steele, and Clyde Stubblefield.

March: (3/2) Derek Ibbotson, cuz despite being the world's fastest man, it took a week for his obit to publish.

Honourable mention: (3/6) King Zulu, the white tiger at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, cuz I actually saw him when we visited said zoo a couple years ago.
Lou Duva, John Lever, two Chucks--Berry (the honest winner)--and Barris, and William Powell (author, Anarchist Cookbook, RIP)

April: (4/15) Emma Morano, last of the 1800's (the honest winner)

Honourable mention: (4/22) Erin Moran, hack actress who completed Team Morano-Moran, 8 Happy Days apart.  Don Rickles, Ikutaro Kakehashi, J. Geils, Dan Rooney, and Robert Pirsig

May: (5/31) Manuel Noriega, cuz in the DP I run I wasn't allowed to field Sasha Lakovic (not famous enough I was told) so I substituted Noriega, a well-deserved HIT.

Honourable mention: Ed Mierkowicz, the last surviving member of my 1945 Detroit Tigers World Series champs.  Powers Boothe (TIE: the honest winner), Chris Cornell, Sir Roger Moore (TIE: the honest winner), Lisa Spoonauer (I'll miss you Lisa, Clerks is a major fave), Jim Bunning, and Gregg Allman

June: (6/15) Kirk Jones, of Canton, MI (about 10 miles from where Sir Creep grew up), jumped in Niagara Falls, went over, and survived.  Only person to do it to this day.  Dies on his second go 14 yrs later.

Honourable mention: (6/11) Sam Panopoulas, inventor of the godawful 'Hawaiian Pizza'.  Rot in hell, which I'm sure smells like a 700F-degree piece of pineapple coming out of a pizza oven.  As the Brits know, you can't mix something sweet with something savory.
Jack McCloskey (the honest winner), Adam West, John Avildsen, Dave Semenko, and the Shawshank Redemption tree.

July: (7/20) Barbara Weldens, French singer who died on stage from electrocution, cuz her website is still up and reads as if she's current and touring (http://www.barbara-weldens.com/).

Honourable Mention: TIE (7/12) Jon Underwood, founder of the Death Cafe Movement, no further explanation necessary, and (7/24) Anne Dufourmantelle, philosopher/author of 'Praise of Risk' , drowns trying to save a couple kids (who were rescued and unharmed).  George R. Romero, zombie film guru (the honest winner), Chuck Blazer, Martin Landau, Chester Bennington, June Foray, and D.L. Menard....
...and let's end where we started, with (7/25) Kyara the SeaWorld orca, the last one that would be born in captivity.

Sexiest:

January: I'll go with Barbara Hale over Mary Tyler Moore, but I'm ok either way.
February: Tara Palmer-Tomkinson.

March: Valerie Carter over Lola Albright, but there's no arguing taste.  Pick who you like.
April: Kathleen Crowley, though the Hispanic vote goes to Rosie Hamlin.  I say variety is the spice of life....I just made that up!

May: Tossup between Jane Norman 'Pixanne' Beazley and Dina Merrill (I guess); sorry, Molly Peters ain't doin it for me.  OK, we're friends here: I just like women dressing up as elfin boys.
June: Anita Pallenberg or Rebecca Burger's death by whipped cream dispenser.  I like a woman that likes whipped cream, I'll choose Rebecca.

July: Venus Ramey (not much evidence but she WAS Miss America, so...), but Jeanne Moreau is right fucking there.

Sir Creep

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Ive just read this thread from the start.

It started out as boring as fuck then got better 'coz of da bantz' and its ended up as boring as fuck again.

I hope I spruced it up a little with my post above.

SC

On 8/3/2017 at 13:12, Joey Russ said:

There's no way a bad metal singer beats The Godfather of the zombie film. That's just impossible.

Roey Juss, keep that up I may bring you outta purgatory.  I couldn't have said it better.  And as you'll note, Romero was my honest choice for the month, and is easily in the top 3 of the year so far.  Gonna be hard to be beat Emma Morano's significance imho, though we all have our own criteria for inclusion.

SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

April: TIE (4/6) Jim Marshall (Marshall amps) and (4/7) Ikutaro Kakehashi (founder of Roland), cuz the world of music took a huge hit in 24 hours.

Unless I'm being dumb and confused, Jim Marshall died April 5th, 2012 and Kakehashi died April 1st, 2017.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Unless I'm being dumb and confused, Jim Marshall died April 5th, 2012 and Kakehashi died April 1st, 2017.

Hmmm, HMMMM you could be correct, perhaps he was improperly posted this year, now I gotta go check!
SC

(Edit: You are correct sir!  Grrrrr ok I'll go back and make appropriate corrections)

(Edit 2: I just went with date published, though months are correct.)

• Thanks 1

This thread illustrates how useful the "Dead Of (Year)" thread would be if every death was posted in it.

• Haha 3

I haven't a clue. But anyhow...

January -  Eugene Cernan (honorary: Clare Hollingworth, John Hurt)

February - Err.... George "the animal" Steele

March - Chuck Berry (honorary: Tommy Gemmell, Colin Dexter, McGuinness)

April -  Tim Pigot-Smith

May - Roger Moore (honorary: John Noakes)

June - Helmut Kohl (honorary: Peter Sallis, Adam West, Michael Bond, Gordon Wilson, Brian Cant)

July - Lu Xiaobo (honorary: June Foray, Martin Landau)

• Like 1

Popular deaths this month but significant?

*flips coin and updates list, pending news....*

January: Mary Tyler Moore

February: Bill Paxton

March: Chuck Berry

April: Don Rickles

May: Roger Moore

June: Helmut Kohl

July: Chester Bennington

August: Jerry Lewis

January: Mary Tyler Moore (Honorable: John Hurt, Jimmy Snuka, Miguel Ferrer)

February: Bill Paxton (Honorable: Richard Hatch, Jane Roe, Kim Jong-nam)

March: Chuck Berry (Honorable: David Rockefeller, Chuck Barris)

April: Don Rickles (Honorable: Emma Morano, Jonathan Demme)

May: Roger Moore (Honorable: Chris Cornell, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Gregg Allman)

June: Adam West (Honorable: Peter Sallis, Helmut Kohl)

July: June Foray (Honorable: Chester Bennington, Martin Landau, Maryam Mirzakhani)

August: Glen Campbell (Honorable: Jerry Lewis, Bruce Forsyth)

September: Hugh Hefner (Honorable:  Harry Dean Stanton, Jake LaMotta, Violet Brown, Liliane Bettencourt, Tony Booth)

October: TBA

November: TBA

December: TBA

On 9/2/2017 at 03:31, Drewsky1211 said:

January: Mary Tyler Moore (Honorable: John Hurt, Jimmy Snuka, Miguel Ferrer)

February: Bill Paxton (Honorable: Richard Hatch, Jane Roe, Kim Jong-nam)

March: Chuck Berry (Honorable: David Rockefeller, Chuck Barris)

April: Don Rickles (Honorable: Emma Morano, Jonathan Demme)

May: Roger Moore (Honorable: Chris Cornell, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Gregg Allman)

June: Adam West (Honorable: Peter Sallis, Helmut Kohl)

July: June Foray (Honorable: Chester Bennington, Martin Landau, Maryam Mirzakhani)

August: Glen Campbell (Honorable: Jerry Lewis, Bruce Forsyth)

September: TBA

October: TBA

November: TBA

December: TBA

Jake LaMotta perhaps?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Jake LaMotta perhaps?

Probably a tough choice for some between Jake LaMotta and Bobby Heenan. Wrestling vs. Boxing....

• Like 2

Just now, gcreptile said:

Probably a tough choice for some between Jake LaMotta and Bobby Heenan. Wrestling vs. Boxing....

Yikes! That is indeed a problem. Both were important in their sports. 

January: Ayatollah Rafsanjani

February: Kim Jong-nam

July: Liu Xiaobo

August: Tough call: Glen Campbell/Jerry Lewis/Bruce Forsyth/Dick Gregory

September Jake LaMotta

January: John Hurt

February: Bill Paxton

July: Chester Bennington

August: Jerry Lewis

September Jake LaMotta

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Sir Peter Hall methinks.

Most important death of the year is probably Zoltan Sarosy

okok serious time methinks 
I would consider Zhou Youguang among the most important deaths of January

• Haha 1

Bettencourt trumps LaMotta. She was the richest woman ever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bettencourt trumps LaMotta. She was the richest woman ever.

Yes, but she never beat Joey Russ in a boxing match.

• Like 3

Jan: Mary Tyler Moore

Feb: Bill Paxton

Mar: Chuck Berry

Apr: Don Rickles

Jun: Helmut Kohl

Jul: Chester Bennington 

Aug: Jerry Lewis

Sep: Hugh Hefner

January: Sir John Hurt (or Mary Tyler Moore)

February: Tara Palmer-Tomkinson (or Kim Jong-nam)

March: Chuck Berry (or Martin McGuinness :party:)

April: Emma Morano (or Don Rickles)

May: Chris Cornell (or Roger Moore)

June: Peter Sallis (or Helmut Kohl)

July: Chester Bennington. It's Chester Bennington.

August: Bruce Forsyth (or Glen Campbell)

September: Hugh Hefner (or Liz Dawn)

12 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Hef is the definitive September pick now, and probably of the year so far.

Seriously?  You are affected personally by the death of Hugh Hefner?  It impacts you to the core?  Did you cry lots of tears?
You're making a hell of a case for the person who waxed poetic about Chester Bennington.

SC

September: Bobby Heenan

Whenever Peter Sallis, Michael Bond and Adam West died.

January: John Hurt

Simple.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Seriously?  You are affected personally by the death of Hugh Hefner?  It impacts you to the core?  Did you cry lots of tears?
You're making a hell of a case for the person who waxed poetic about Chester Bennington.

SC

To be fair, the culture of the west was impacted to the core by Hef. He made sex much less taboo and sexualized the culture of today. Whether you liked it or not, Hefner had a helluva impact.

Maybe you disagree, but Hefner was more important to me than a boxer or wrestler I had no idea existed until I joined the forums.

• Like 2