888-333

Most Significant Death Of Each Month

Considering 'significant' is subjective in nature, I figure the thread is as well. Why not let people state their opinion?

IMO Bob Saget meant more to me than anyone else in January. AFHV + Full House. He was also very close to Norm Macdonald who passed away a few months ago. Norm was someone who really impacted me when he died. Bob Saget spoke on his death with a very personal hue and in turn made me grow to like him quite a bit more.

In fact, even the SC deaths mattered more to me. Losing the cohort of 1905 was a significant moment IMO.

Poitier meant little to me, before my era. I can respect what he accomplished without feeling anything towards his death. Similar to Bob Dole or, eventually, Jimmy Carter.

This thread is unique as it shows everyone's perspectives and opinions. It is quite obvious that internationally, Sidney Poitier was the most notable. Would make for a rather boring thread pointing out the obvious every month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Considering 'significant' is subjective in nature, I figure the thread is as well. Why not let people state their opinion?

IMO Bob Saget meant more to me than anyone else in January. AFHV + Full House. He was also very close to Norm Macdonald who passed away a few months ago. Norm was someone who really impacted me when he died. Bob Saget spoke on his death with a very personal hue and in turn made me grow to like him quite a bit more.

In fact, even the SC deaths mattered more to me. Losing the cohort of 1905 was a significant moment IMO.

Poitier meant little to me, before my era. I can respect what he accomplished without feeling anything towards his death. Similar to Bob Dole or, eventually, Jimmy Carter.

This thread is unique as it shows everyone's perspectives and opinions. It is quite obvious that internationally, Sidney Poitier was the most notable. Would make for a rather boring thread pointing out the obvious every month.

Alright, if it’s personal significance, rather than worldly significance, then Marlon Bundo it is then. Cos I like fluffy rabbits.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CalebH said:

One of Romania's most important Composers

Romania doesn’t have any important ppl.

Not since Ceausescu died.

15 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

In fact, even the SC deaths mattered more to me.

Well, it’d certainly up this site’s mean intelligence significantly.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Most significant doesn’t mean most Important for you. Significant is in term of impact on culture, politic, society etc… I get that it’s interesting to compare each one point of views but I have to agree with Ulitzer on this one… maybe put your own personal significant death and then the significant death worldwide ? :)

Anyway most significant worldwide : Sidney Poitier

most significant in France : Gaspard Ulliel and Thierry Mugler 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Most significant doesn’t mean most Important for you. Significant is in term of impact on culture, politic, society etc… I get that it’s interesting to compare each one point of views but I have to agree with Ulitzer on this one… maybe put your own personal significant death and then the significant death worldwide ? :)

You disproved your first sentence with your last one.

‘Worldwide significance’ is something that can only be judged with a huge sample of ‘personal significance’. One person can’t judge that, hence that conversation is futile and the only way this thread can be taken to mean is significance from our own points of view.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Most significant doesn’t mean most Important for you. 

It means exactly that.

• Like 1

My personal opinions,

January: Thích Nhất Hạnh, I've heard so much about that "mindfulness" thing. Poitier's a close #2.

February: Tough competition between Luc Montagnier, Monica Vitti, that ISIS shithead and Lata Mangeshkar, but Vitti won. 

January - Barry Cryer

Feb- Bamber Gascoigne.

I’d like to put in a shout for Gary Brooker. Maybe not such a big name but, in terms of global reach, he was the voice of one of the few records to sell over 10 million copies worldwide. 

• Like 1

January: I suppose Sidney Poitier, but for most of us it's going to be Meat Loaf or Barry Cryer. Hat tip to Ronnie Spector.

February: Mark Lanegan, Monica Vitti, PJ O'Rourke.

As I am 'of a certain age' and British I'd argue Anna Karen, Bamber Gascoigne and Jack Smethurst too.

March: if we all get nuked then The Queen, Madonna, Putin, David Attenborough, all of Abba, Debbie Harry, Cher, Dolly Parton, Tom Cruise, the list is endless. We can argue the toss in Hell as, let's face it, are any of us who frequent such a form *really* going to heaven?

January is Sidney Poitier for sure. February isn’t so clear cut. I would say narrowly, Monica Vitti.

• Like 1

January - Sidney Poitier

February - Monica Vitti

March - Tom Parker

April - June Brown

May - Leonid Kravchuk

June - Jean-Louis Trintignant

July - Shinzo Abe

August - Mikhail Gorbachev

September - Queen Elizabeth II

October - Angela Lansbury

November - Jiang Zemin

December - Pelé

March - Vladimir Putin

Hopefully.

• Like 2

January: Sir Sidney Poitier or Barry Cryer

February: Monica Vitti or Lata Mangeshkar

March: Peter Bowles

April: June Brown or Kane Tanaka

May: Vangelis

June: Jean-Louis Trintignant

July: Shinzo Abe

August: Mikhail Gorbachev

September: Leo Thompkins

October: Dame Angela Lansbury

November: Leslie Phillips

December: Pelé

4 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Newton John or Gorbatchev in August imo

Hmmm, the man responsible for the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, or the lady who sang "We go together
like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong". 

Yep, that's a tough one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hmmm, the man responsible for the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, or the lady who sang "We go together
like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong". 

Yep, that's a tough one.

Well as mentionned here before, the idea of significancy is quite subjective and I wasn’t alive When Gorbatchev was president, I just learned of him through history class as everyone does BUT I’m gay so Newton John was never an option. Kind of biased I agree.

• Like 1

Don't think we really need to debate this for September, or 2022...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Agree, Borge Krogh, it’s obvious

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Honestly maybe even Century or Decade

• Like 2

I wonder if there could possibly be a death that could outdo her as death of the month. Maybe Trump? Or the Pope? Or both popes at once.