Grim Reaper

Herman Wouk

Even this Wiki article through up a coincidence for me...

In fiction[edit]

Arthur C. Clarke's novel A Fall of Moondust, published in 1961, contains a section where the main characters, trapped underground for an indefinite amount of time, are celebrating a birthday and find themselves discussing the validity of the Birthday problem. As stated by a physicist passenger: "If you have a group of more than twenty-four people, the odds are better than even that two of them have the same birthday." Eventually, out of 22 present, it is revealed that two characters share the same birthday, May 23.

That's my birthday too!

Well, belated happy birthday then!

Hmm.. a more complicated case than the typical "Birthday problem":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Statistically, it's more likely than not that two people of the same group share the same birthday if the group contains more than 23 people. With three people, the required number is 88:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/485462/birthday-problem-for-3-people

One should actually expect that in a list with 50 people, at least two share the same birthday. Three people however is an unlikely but still not extraordinary event.

is there any chance anyone on this site might have the same birthday

Well, as long as there is more than one person, there's always a chance.

In fiction[edit]

Arthur C. Clarke's novel A Fall of Moondust, published in 1961, contains a section where the main characters, trapped underground for an indefinite amount of time, are celebrating a birthday and find themselves discussing the validity of the Birthday problem. As stated by a physicist passenger: "If you have a group of more than twenty-four people, the odds are better than even that two of them have the same birthday." Eventually, out of 22 present, it is revealed that two characters share the same birthday, May 23.

That's my birthday too!

Statistically, it's more likely than not that two people of the same group share the same birthday if the group contains more than 23 people. With three people, the required number is 88:

One should actually expect that in a list with 50 people, at least two share the same birthday. Three people however is an unlikely but still not extraordinary event.

We cannot, however, discard the possibility that only two people (you and me) fill this site. In that case, the chance of us sharing the same birthday are slim, 1 in 183 (allowing for being born on February 29).

We cannot, however, discard the possibility that only two people (you and me) fill this site. In that case, the chance of us sharing the same birthday are slim, 1 in 183 (allowing for being born on February 29).

Hmm, isn't it around 1 in 365? (Allowing for leaplings should make it a bit less, but since leap days occur less than once every four years, it should be closer to 1/365 than 1/366.)

According to the Wikipedia article you just cited, the probability of n people all having different birthdays (if birthdays are assumed to be uniformly distributed among 365 days and leap days are ignored) is 365!/((365-n)!*365^n). In case of n=2, the formula simplifies to 364/365, which means that the opposite event, ie. you guys sharing a bday should be around 1/365.

Which is intuitively rather straightforward. Your bday could be any of the 365 days in a year, and gcreptile's bday should be the very same day in order for it to coincide with yours.

Guest Guest

happy 100th birthday Herman! now could you die please. ta

In fiction[edit]

That's my birthday too!

Actually, I am just the dark part of your personality. This whole forum is all you (or me).

(Also, my birthday is August, 25th.)

Actually, I am just the dark part of your personality. This whole forum is all you (or me).

Yes, that possibility did cross my mind.

I do have a sockpuppet here, for test purposes, but I don't think all the rest of the forum members are me, so they must be you.

Close, but no cigar.

Yes, that possibility did cross my mind.

I do have a sockpuppet here, for test purposes, but I don't think all the rest of the forum members are me, so they must be you.

Close, but no cigar.

I'll have the cigar!

If he makes it 10 more months he will become a Palindrome

If he makes it 10 more months he will become a Palindrome

Well, Herman Wouk is Kouw Namreh if you read it backwards and it will be the same at 101. I guess you mean that his age will become a palindrome, that's true, but was also true 1 year ago at 99 or 12 years ago at 88. That's hardly anything special.

when he lives to see 212 we can all celebrate

actually on second thoughs, ill be dead by then.

Is this the most exciting man on the Deathlist? Apart from the mythical legend that is Javier Perez de Cuellar of course.

Well, here is an interview published yesterday with the man himself.

Seems OK the now, but then, twelve months is a long time in the life of a centenarian.

101 today! :wheelchair::birthday::party::party::champagne:

• Like 1

This guy ought to be higher considering he's 102 or whatever.

Does the position really make that much of a difference, bar the top 3 who normally seem to be on their very last legs.

My apologies is this has been dealt with earlier in the thread (couldn't find it after a brief look), but is there a reason it says "Actor" and not "Author". I realise some of the other thread descriptions are somewhat cryptically tongue in cheek, but this one seems odd.

My apologies is this has been dealt with earlier in the thread (couldn't find it after a brief look), but is there a reason it says "Actor" and not "Author". I realise some of the other thread descriptions are somewhat cryptically tongue in cheek, but this one seems odd.

Oh, haven't you heard? He's taking a lead role in the next Marvel movie!!!!

Jokes aside, I'm sure it was an accidental mistake when Death Impends was putting the subtitles back on. He'll fix it though.

Sigh... I know never to look at rarely updated threads and expect an update of any sort.

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

102 today. :birthday:

Is he set to become the next Oscar Niemeyer? 

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Is he set to become the next Oscar Niemeyer? 

Bit late in life to take up architecture now....

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dead Wait said:

Bit late in life to take up architecture now....

IMG_0356.GIF