I mourn the death of a fine sportsman and, judging by a few interviews I've seen, nice person.

I'm glad that DL finally has its fourth hit.

I second that! I already expressed my feelings towards Fignon more specifically here. He certainly will be remembered as one of the greatest champions in cycling.

I remember that final time trial of 1989's Tour de France well. With a few friends I was bobbing on the IJsselmeer in a 20' yacht, under a scorching sun on a windless day. The radio did a live broadcast of the stage. Theo Koomen couldn't have made it more exciting (Koomen, 1929 - 1984, was a Dutch radio sports commentator, who was able to report a goalless 2nd division footie draw as if it was the world cup final).

Fignon's death is a hit for 35 DDP teams and two NDP teams, none of them mine. :wub:

BTW: we did get to our destination Muiden eventually, using the yacht's diesel engine.

regards,

Hein

I mourn the death of a fine sportsman and, judging by a few interviews I've seen, nice person.

I second that! I already expressed my feelings towards Fignon more specifically here. He certainly will be remembered as one of the greatest champions in cycling.

I remember that final time trial of 1989's Tour de France well. With a few friends I was bobbing on the IJsselmeer in a 20' yacht, under a scorching sun on a windless day. The radio did a live broadcast of the stage. Theo Koomen couldn't have made it more exciting (Koomen, 1929 - 1984, was a Dutch radio sports commentator, who was able to report a goalless 2nd division footie draw as if it was the world cup final).

Fignon's death is a hit for 35 DDP teams and two NDP teams, none of them mine. :wub:

BTW: we did get to our destination Muiden eventually, using the yacht's diesel engine.

regards,

Hein

For some reason, that reminds me of a short visit I made to the sleepy town of Wincanton in Somerset. I am not sure why your story about Muiden should remind me of Wincanton. Wincanton is landlocked, unvisitable by yacht and was approached by car, it wasn't scorching hot that day, the town has no links whatsoever with Laurent Fignon, I wasn't with friends and I wasn't even listening to the radio. But even so, I read your post and thought "Wincanton!". Strange. :)

Sorry to waffle pointlessly.

regards,

Hein

For some reason, that reminds me of a short visit I made to the sleepy town of Wincanton in Somerset. I am not sure why your story about Muiden should remind me of Wincanton. Wincanton is landlocked, unvisitable by yacht and was approached by car, it wasn't scorching hot that day, the town has no links whatsoever with Laurent Fignon, I wasn't with friends and I wasn't even listening to the radio. But even so, I read your post and thought "Wincanton!". Strange. :)

Sorry to waffle pointlessly.

Alright I had him as my joker, but that came out of the blue somewhat!

And there we were waiting for Zsa Zsa to pop it.

Maybe there's still life to this edition of the Deathlist yet....

A real gentleman and a true engima. His battles with Greg Le Mond were legendary and perhaps the last true French cycling legend.

Only the 4th death of 2010, the 190th since 1987.

Unfortunately he slipped through my net.

Did it? He was probably one of the sickest picks of this years DeathList.

I remember thinking justyesterday about how long it will be till he expires.

It didn't really suprise me when i read he did.

he will be missed ,who knows zsa zsa gabor might soon follow and make it 5 by the looks of this very soon as well

Did it? He was probably one of the sickest picks of this years DeathList.

I remember thinking justyesterday about how long it will be till he expires.

It didn't really suprise me when i read he did.

It's the context I think. What with DL's dry spell and that he was still commentating on the Tour De France a few weeks ago, led

me to think he was OK for a bit.

Drags me up the DDP table a fair bit. I was in joint 250th place!

The frontpage reads: "Fignon was probably considered as the best French cyclist of his era," which is completely untrue. Bernard Hinault - who won the Tour de France in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 and 1985 was the real French champion. The real dauphin behind Hinault was not Fignon, but the American Greg LeMond, Tour winner in 1986, 1987 and 1990. When Hinault ended his career in 1986, Fignon's days as a champion had already been counted - despite him winning the Tour of Italy in 1989, of course.

The frontpage reads: "Fignon was probably considered as the best French cyclist of his era," which is completely untrue. Bernard Hinault - who won the Tour de France in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 and 1985 was the real French champion. The real dauphin behind Hinault was not Fignon, but the American Greg LeMond, Tour winner in 1986, 1987 and 1990. When Hinault ended his career in 1986, Fignon's days as a champion had already been counted - despite him winning the Tour of Italy in 1989, of course.

Fair point

"Laurnet Fignon, feeling short changed by 30 odd years or so. It's a funny old game." He is also sort changed by having so very little time on the home page of DL. I do feel a bit sorry for him, dead f****r.

Yes Especialy considering Dennis Hopper graced the front page for pretty much all summer

Fair point

Lets be fair - you always say nice things about dead people. Even if they were complete cunts.

Lets be fair - you always say nice things about dead people. Even if they were complete cunts.

I expect when Lady Thatcher dies honez will say something like:

"She was a delightful little old lady who helped boy scouts across the road and tirelessly baked cakes for the miners when they were out on that strike."

"She was a delightful little old lady who helped boy scouts across the road and tirelessly baked cakes for the miners when they were out on that strike."

I forgot to mention that there are exceptions to the rule - Adolf Hitler, Myra Hindley and Margaret Thatcher...

I forgot to mention that there are exceptions to the rule - Adolf Hitler, Myra Hindley and Margaret Thatcher...

Hitler was just misunderstood, I mean he did keep the youth off the streets, just look at what Joseph Ratzinger has achieved. Myra had a bad childhood. Thatcher however was a cunt.