football_fan

Ideas And Possibilities For 2011

His Library will be furious. I doubt they'll renew his card after this.

I couldn't resist that one...

qoute repaired [HCW]

Pastor Terry Jones is surely cruising for unpleasant explosive and ballistic surprises should he succeed in leading his flock in torching copies of the Koran.

I just read Westboro Baptist Church pastor and serial freespeech abuser Fred Phelps will be doing his own Quran burning, even if Jones backs out. So I guess the race is on to see which one goes out in flames the first. Phelps is in the lead since he also passed the 80 year mark!

I hope those extremists take the right one or we will be seeing another dead parrot comic sketch...

Pastor Terry Jones is surely cruising for unpleasant explosive and ballistic surprises should he succeed in leading his flock in torching copies of the Koran.

I just read Westboro Baptist Church pastor and serial freespeech abuser Fred Phelps will be doing his own Quran burning, even if Jones backs out. So I guess the race is on to see which one goes out in flames the first. Phelps is in the lead since he also passed the 80 year mark!

I hope those extremists take the right one or we will be seeing another dead parrot comic sketch...

Terry Jones will not do it.

This guy did it.

Ray Gosling convicted for wating police time. Also exposed as something of an alcoholic drama queen and therefore - almost certainly - rendered unemployable aged 71. He's already battled bankrupcy and faced homelessness.

The only way he'd be back centre stage now would - probably - involve a serious suicide bid.

While not wanting to prize anyone away from their laptops there's a programme on BBC1 just now called The Young Ones with a handful of promising candidates such as Kenneth Kendal, Derek Jameson, Liz Smith etc. Unfortunately the experiment in which they're engaged is designed to make them feel younger. All the same Kenneth Kendal doesn't look too spritely.

Ray Gosling convicted for wating police time. Also exposed as something of an alcoholic drama queen and therefore - almost certainly - rendered unemployable aged 71. He's already battled bankrupcy and faced homelessness.

The only way he'd be back centre stage now would - probably - involve a serious suicide bid.

Unless his lover puts a pillow over his face.

Michael Foot

John Sweet

Both will get broadsheet obits.

Have I missed something?

Given his mission Derek Humphry could cash in his chips at any time and 80 is a nice round number. As founder of the Hemlock Society he may be one of us.

While not wanting to prize anyone away from their laptops there's a programme on BBC1 just now called The Young Ones with a handful of promising candidates such as Kenneth Kendal, Derek Jameson, Liz Smith etc. Unfortunately the experiment in which they're engaged is designed to make them feel younger. All the same Kenneth Kendal doesn't look too spritely.

And Lionel Blair for all his vacuous 'never felt so young' pretensions is just in denial about how old he is. Pride can come before a fall, and he's presumptious enough to risk the longest staircases. If only......

And Lionel Blair for all his vacuous 'never felt so young' pretensions is just in denial about how old he is. Pride can come before a fall, and he's presumptious enough to risk the longest staircases. If only......

I take it, you are not a fan of Mr Blair?

That'd be a fair and accurate assumption on the evidence LFN. But I'm also making a serious deadpooling point. Blair's youthfulness relies, like that of Cliff Richard, largely on an adherence to exercise, healthy eating and the like, fuelled by a strong self-regard and wish to continue in the public eye. Both have a reputation in the business for driving the likes of PR people to distraction with their incessent enquiries about what is being done on their behalf. Both also have been on the back-end of bitchy comments suggesting they need to keep working because they're bricking it about the artistic value of anything they create. All of which means the longevity of their health may be an illusion. Medical research suggests that many people over-estimate the impact of prolonged athleticism on the eventual length of life. Sir Cliff is descended from a very long-living mother, so he may well live into ripe old age. Not sure about Lionel and we should keep an eye on him, because he is in the age zone at which a sudden stroke, or onset of serious illness, could deal him a mighty blow.

Andy Whitfield, the star of recent series Spartacus: Blood and Sand, was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma earlier this and was thought to have totally recovered, but has now suffered a recurrence, which will require "aggressive treatment" and so has pulled out of the show's second season.

Charlatans drummer treated for brain tumour

Jon Brookes, drummer with indie band The Charlatans, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, the group have said.

Jon Brookes

Come on down!

What is the going rate for a top of the range casket Bob?

Gotta be £2,500.

Am I right Bob?

Am I???

Come on down!

Gotta be £2,500.

Am I right Bob?

Am I???

Come on down!

Gotta be £2,500.

Am I right Bob?

Am I???

Am I missing something here?

That'd be a fair and accurate assumption on the evidence LFN. But I'm also making a serious deadpooling point. Blair's youthfulness relies, like that of Cliff Richard, largely on an adherence to exercise, healthy eating and the like, fuelled by a strong self-regard and wish to continue in the public eye. Both have a reputation in the business for driving the likes of PR people to distraction with their incessent enquiries about what is being done on their behalf. Both also have been on the back-end of bitchy comments suggesting they need to keep working because they're bricking it about the artistic value of anything they create. All of which means the longevity of their health may be an illusion. Medical research suggests that many people over-estimate the impact of prolonged athleticism on the eventual length of life. Sir Cliff is descended from a very long-living mother, so he may well live into ripe old age. Not sure about Lionel and we should keep an eye on him, because he is in the age zone at which a sudden stroke, or onset of serious illness, could deal him a mighty blow.

On that point, I saw Nicholas Parsons in Glasgow a few months ago and he looked like utter shite (quite unlike his sprightly and avuncular media persona). Rather post-stroke-esque I would say by the way we was struggling to keep up with his (very) young male dinner guest as they left the hotel restaurant.

Saying that, I saw Sir David Frost on a train in 2002 and remarked on how he looked like the proverbial warmed up (not to him, that would have been uncouth) and he still hasn't done the descent thing eight years hence.

The Parsons is my hot tip for 2011 though.

Substantial threat of terror attack on 'mainland' by unreconstructed Irish republicans.

Might throw a random points score into the odd deadpool if they attack people rather than places.

Author Harlan Ellison is dying.

"The truth of what's going on here is that I'm dying," says Ellison, by phone. "I'm like the Wicked Witch of the West -- I'm melting. I began to sense it back in January. By that time, I had agreed to do the convention. And I said, I can make it. I can make it.'"

He doesn't detail what his illness is, or whether or not he expects to see this year out, but maybe one to bear in mind for next year if he does.

Who wants to bet Andy Griffith, Jack Klugman and Dick van Dyke will all die within a week of one another?

Author Harlan Ellison is dying.

"The truth of what's going on here is that I'm dying," says Ellison, by phone. "I'm like the Wicked Witch of the West -- I'm melting. I began to sense it back in January. By that time, I had agreed to do the convention. And I said, I can make it. I can make it.'"

He doesn't detail what his illness is, or whether or not he expects to see this year out, but maybe one to bear in mind for next year if he does.

So time is running out for the man who wrote "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman.

Inevitable, but still ironic.

regards,

Hein