Sign in to follow this  
football_fan

Things To Do While Waiting For Death... 2010

Whilst I'm at it I may as well continue my rant... why is it that English Lit is always deemed the more important qualification over English Lang? (As in regarded more highly.)

For the same reason most Dutch teachers prefer teaching Dutch Literature to Dutch language, I think. Unfortunately I don't know that reason.

For the GCSE we could take in our texts for the lit exam, in which we had previously made copious notes and highlighted all the relevant quotes, so all one had to do was rewrite this to fit the essay title and Bob's your uncle there you go have an A. The English language exam was based on unseen texts, far harder IMHO, certainly not an exam that you could revise parrot fashion for, a proper test. Before my exam year (94), the two English qualifications were 100% coursework where you chose your best bits! Talk about easy and fucking easy. No wonder we and those pupils who have followed make the likes of honez mad! I guess if you want to learn decent English these days the trick is to move to Holland :(

:o Many Dutch speak and write English at an acceptable level. Many who do also think they're really good at it, which is rarely case. I was surprised to hear Mr Wilders (a fascist anti-islamic blithering idiot politician) give a speech (at a rally in New York last Saturday) in good English. I suspect he used a ghostwriter.

Of course, if you want to learn decent Dutch, don't go to the Netherlands, but rather to Flanders. Each year a Dutch spelling competition is held, Het Groot Dictee der Nederlandse Taal, which is almost always won by a Fleming.

regards,

Hein

Of course, if you want to learn decent Dutch, don't go to the Netherlands, but rather to Flanders. Each year a Dutch spelling competition is held, Het Groot Dictee der Nederlandse Taal, which is almost always won by a Fleming.

regards,

Hein

Another reason to hate the Flammands by proxy? I wish they'd stop quibbling on about independence and just do it, no-one outside of the 10 or 11 million Belgies gives a hoot, or even realises a split is on the cards. I can solve the Brussels problem. No one gets it! Include the BHV bit and make a free city EU concession type thingy. Then we can stop wasting money on this rolling presidency and moving all the filing cabinets to/from Strasbourg every 6 months.

That's why I'm not a politician.

Another reason to hate the Flammands by proxy? I wish they'd stop quibbling on about independence and just do it, no-one outside of the 10 or 11 million Belgies gives a hoot, or even realises a split is on the cards.

I get along with them quite well, provided Flemish nationalism is not being discussed. I'm not claiming all Flemish nationalists are complete or partial Nazis, but the collaboration of a sizable part of them with the Germans (in both World Wars) are stains that will not go away.

I can solve the Brussels problem. No one gets it! Include the BHV bit and make a free city EU concession type thingy. Then we can stop wasting money on this rolling presidency and moving all the filing cabinets to/from Strasbourg every 6 months.

That's why I'm not a politician.

Such good sense is indeed incompatible with being a polititician. As I understand it, Brussels is the main reason Belgium still exists, as both sides want it.

One bit of amusement in Brussels is ordering drinks. Staff pretend they don't understand Dutch when you order koffie or bier. Strangely enough they have no problem decoding the order at the end of the session: de rekening and promptly present the bill.

regards,

Hein

Get yourself one of these to gain the upper hand in road rage situations...

743701640.gif

Go for a ride on your Segway along the cliffs, followed by a swim.

Edited by Magere Hein
Link fixed.

Enjoy Little Skaro.

Episode 1 is bottom right.

Show your support for your favourite band by proudly wearing a "Jesus is a cunt" T-shirt depicting a semi-naked masturbating Nun on the front, just like this bloke did.

I bet his mum's chuffed to bits.

!

What would you taste like to a cannibal and other essential quizzes.

Just did it, apparently, I taste like spicy beef!! :unsure:

You would most likely taste like barbequed beef - MMmm, yummy.

I taste like mesquite tofu, whatever that is.

I'd better make damn sure to steer well clear of you HCW - otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll come a cropper on a barbeque! :lol:

I taste like mesquite tofu, whatever that is.

I believe it is a tasty diabetic dish.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-rec...Tofu/r7604.html

I'd better make damn sure to steer well clear of you HCW - otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll come a cropper on a barbeque! :lol:

Oops! What I meant to say was I would most likely taste like barbequed beef. I just copied and pasted my result.

Oops! What I meant to say was I would most likely taste like barbequed beef. I just copied and pasted my result.

Apparently I would taste like barbecued chicken.

Is that good or bad? Whats a par score here?

I recommend the 'Are you addicted to bacon' quiz. I'm 46% addicted.