Notaxman12

Deathlist 2010 Feedback

:banghead: Boy, you really went out on a limb on the 2010 picks. 42 out of 50 picks over 80. Canadian Paul deserves better for all the research he does.

:banghead: Boy, you really went out on a limb on the 2010 picks. 42 out of 50 picks over 80. Canadian Paul deserves better for all the research he does.

It's not his list.

I will, however, admit that I too am a bit disappointed in the age of most of them.

:banghead: Why not just pick people over 100? And the picks under 85 aren't even that interesting. Finally, why do the mods insist on including Eli Wallach...he will die someday I guess and they don't want to miss it. Overall, not a very interesting list. Why not bring back Ruby Mohammid?

The typical list. Very conservative and a little more ancient than usual. I thought they could have been a little more creative at the height of the list but I guess Al-Megrahi and Biggs are once again qualified to be headliners. Some new faces, some old ones. Zsa Zsa Gabor is probably about 100, and Edrich along with Hopper and Fignon should add to this years count. I see they took my advice and brought back Anna Wing. Wallach and Tork were poor choices, and they should have had Ronnie James Dio who I assume is famous enough. Otherwise, it's basically an oldschool list with a lot of potential. I'm sure a few of our readers would have liked a gamble or two, but maybe this is the winning approach? You gotta love the self centered nature of the committee. Remember the slogan: It's not about what you want. It's what we want.

And Clive is getting younger.

*snip*

You gotta love the self centered nature of the committee. Remember the slogan: It's not about what you want. It's what we want.

Of course it's self centered. It's their damn list. Not yours. Not mine. If you don't like their picks you are, of course, free to say so, but to accuse people of being self centered about their own list is ludicrous.

*snip*

You gotta love the self centered nature of the committee. Remember the slogan: It's not about what you want. It's what we want.

Of course it's self centered. It's their damn list. Not yours. Not mine. If you don't like their picks you are, of course, free to say so, but to accuse people of being self centered about their own list is ludicrous.

I just think that its a sad with the accumulated knowledge on this page, that this list is the best they come up with. It's like government...you have great minds sharing research..hand it over to the people with power and you end up with Yuck.

Not a bad list! Yet very conservative! I am surprised Anna Wing is so high, she is in good health still! As are Angela Lansbury (appearing on Broadway with Catherine Zeta Jones at the moment) and Olivia De Havilland!

My prediction is all three will survive the year. Luise Rainer, Lena Horne and Gloria Stuart all better pics.

You need to throw in Lindsay Lohan, or at least one young out there on a limb celeb!

However I am sure I will be proved wrong and the Grim Reapers tally shall be high this year!

Ahh the honour of having the committee compared to a government - Holds itself out to be morally sound but is secretly corrupt and self-fulfilling - I'll take that :banghead: Of course, we've never held DeathList out to be any sort of democracy, but perhaps we should introduce some fake vote counting for the icing on the cake :banghead:

The age thing is a bit of a double-edged sword. As appealing as picking Lilo and the like is, the reality is that they are pretty unlikley to die. The old age celebrities are a rich seam of success and a little more satisfying when their death comes out of the blue i.e. without the warning illness first.

Besides, it'd be less fun if everyone said it was a fantastic list and saluted the committee for a wonderful job.

Happy New Year

GR

Not a bad list this year. I reckon we will break the record. I think we will have 18 deaths successes this year!

Zelda Rubinstien should have been #1.

I really doubt it, I didn't think she would make the list because she is still very obscure.

I also think the amount of campaigning helps contributes with them not being picked.

And I personally had a lot to do with that, and therefor I like to apoligize.

I believe names like Bourgieos, Heesters, Luxembourg Jean etc. suffered under the many posts that were started to get them in the top 50.

I also think people like Dio, Hartson, Withers and Ginsberg weren't mentioned because they were on my poll, again I am sorry for that.

I don't know if I just really dislike the list or if it just still feels uncomfertable because it is new.

Not a bad list this year. I reckon we will break the record. I think we will have 18 deaths successes this year!

I was thinking more something like 9, 10 or 11

Why don't you put the DL top 25 into your NDP, just for fun like?

Honestly, unlike last year, we don't really have any particularly interesting celebrities on the deathwatch. In 2009, we had Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett, and Ted Kennedy all on the inevitable deathwatch. This year, we have what? Simon MacCorkindale? While a fairly accomplished actor, he's still relatively obscure outside the UK and frankly, he's no Patrick Swayze. On the politician front, we have Robert Byrd. He's pretty much a goner and is probably the most accomplished veteran US Senator outside Ted Kennedy, but again, he still lacks the international name recognition of Ted Kennedy.

I guess actress Maura Tierney could be this year's Farrah Fawcett, but I'm not sure of her prognosis. However, she has had to stop working so that does say something...

Here are some of the more "interesting" names that could've made the deathlist this year...

David Hasselhoff (alcoholism has taken a severe toll on him last couple years)

Robin Williams (recent heart problems, prediction would be that he won't survive the next heart attack)

Maura Tierney (could be the Patrick Swayze/Farrah Fawcett of 2010, given her struggling battles w/ cancer)

Amy Winehouse (she's doing better, but not out of the woods yet)

Lindsay Lohan (still a hot mess, she's supposedly doing better but has a chance of regressing)

Rush Limbaugh (recent health problems, hopefully he'll expire in 2010)

Dick Cheney (wishful thinking admittedly, but he's had some health issues)

Steve Jobs (health issues, supposedly on the mend though)

Natalie Cole (has hepatitis C)

Stephen Hawking (had some close calls recently w/ death)

Bryant Gumbel (two words: lung cancer. Though he claims it's not that serious, you don't take lung cancer lightly.)

I've been contemplating on this years' list all day and I must say that I'm quite happy with it. Don't mind all the sourpusses here who start moaning and droning just for the sake of it.

The most ridiculous remark was that they should have made the list more interesting by including Ruby Muhammad. Ruby... who?! Oh yeah! The obscure (allbeit ancient) lady that has done nothing notorious in her life - apart from being a Halibut - that was on the DL 2007 and incited more protests than the whole Nation of Islam since the 1960's. That's not the kind of debate you want on the forum, do you?

Why would people like Maura Tierney or Robin Williams make DL more 'interesting'? Because there's NO way they're going to die for the next fifty years or so?! Stephen Hawking is nothing more than a brilliant mind in a lifeless corpse that breaths, eats and talks mechanically. That's unfair competition, me thinks, the other candidates have to outlive the year all by themselves (or not, hopefully).

And finally: I very much doubt that the selection committee passed over any candidate because they were mentioned in a poll or in a thread on the forum. Why would they? They're probably selfconceited smart-asses, but so are most of us here.

• Like 1

<_< Why not just pick people over 100? And the picks under 85 aren't even that interesting. Finally, why do the mods insist on including Eli Wallach...he will die someday I guess and they don't want to miss it. Overall, not a very interesting list. Why not bring back Ruby Mohammid?

Can I point out that the mods have no say in this, we are here to moderate, which we do, deleting spam and sorting out everyday posts and putting them in the right thread. Who goes on the list is not part of our criteria, that's for the committee, most of whom are not regular contributors to this site.

It looks a good list to my untrained eye. Nicely balanced. Could be a record year.

It must be a well-nigh impossible task picking 50 names that are going to satisfy everyone (some of the people all the time etc) so I wouldn't criticise the committee for their selections.

Bearing in mind that the idea of a dead-pool is to predict deaths, its not a bad idea to go for, in the absence of a long list of terminally-ill celebs, oldies.

Selecting younger celebs like Lindsay Lohan or Amy Winehouse just because they have histories is no guarantee of success (As someone said, Iggy Pop and most of the Rolling Stones have very long histories and are still going), its the ones that don't have histories which seem to go young (E.g. Heath Ledger, River Phoenix).

Oh, and anyone have any idea who this Notaxman12 is; he's made one post and then disappeared!

The most ridiculous remark was that they should have made the list more interesting by including Ruby Muhammad. Ruby... who?! Oh yeah! The obscure (allbeit ancient) lady that has done nothing notorious in her life - apart from being a Halibut - that was on the DL 2007 and incited more protests than the whole Nation of Islam since the 1960's. That's not the kind of debate you want on the forum, do you?

OMFG. Smell that? It's sarcasm. Ruby Muhammad's pick was almost universally made fun of. My point was that this year's list was reverting back to that form.

<_< Why not just pick people over 100? And the picks under 85 aren't even that interesting. Finally, why do the mods insist on including Eli Wallach...he will die someday I guess and they don't want to miss it. Overall, not a very interesting list. Why not bring back Ruby Mohammid?

Can I point out that the mods have no say in this, we are here to moderate, which we do, deleting spam and sorting out everyday posts and putting them in the right thread. Who goes on the list is not part of our criteria, that's for the committee, most of whom are not regular contributors to this site.

Okay. Sorry. I didn't know that.

I dreaded looking at this years list. But I did and you know what - who am I to quible - my shadow list of 50 names only got 9 hits.

But to my mind and in the whole scheme of things it looks too much like the same-old same-old.

Like we say it's their list - but we do try to help.

I agree, I can think of at least 10 Names That should have been on this years List

Muhamed Ali

Peter Falk

Eddie Fisher

Tony Curtis

Prince Phillip

Bob Barker

Ray Kennedy

To Name But a Few

Guest WEP
I agree, I can think of at least 10 Names That should have been on this years List

Maybe you extend the list on, let's say, 6 Billion people, so you will have a better chance to count more dead bodies...

I would've picked Peter Falk over Angela Lansbury!

Then again, Angela Lansbury is in her mid-80s, albeit still with an active career. Good for her.

If there are oonly 17, will you be resigning?

Personally I like the list.