Notaxman12

Deathlist 2010 Feedback

As for people talking about young or dangerous candidates bringing excitement, the most interested I remember DLsters being in candidates over the years were for George Melly (which included a reccy to his last ever gig and a respectful invasion of his fan forum) and Albert Hoffman (complete with some wonderfully illiterate guest postings....yes, I am a hypocrite), both over 80 at the time.

Age doesn't make someone exciting. Character does. And DL is usually quite good for picking a good variety of characters, and being quite educational too.

For all the talk of low numbers for this year, putting a bunch of 50 and lower year olds on for excitement isn't going to boost the numbers in the slightest. It's always going to be a mix of those with public ill health and those legends getting on in age.

Wise words and seconded at this end. We should also add that some 'characterful' oldsters with the Grim Reaper apparently at the door, like Biggs, still defy the odds and survive a pick on the DL. So, TBH, I'm fairly happy with our annual top fifty and in a year of disappointing dead pool returns EVERYWHERE I'm not sure how much better we'd have fared with a more 'exciting' team.

The globally famous Derryn Hinch, yeah.

Never heard of him (except for mentions on this very forum) - he's some kind of DJ or other I gather from Wiki.

He is a very controversial talkback radio announcer, former television host and alcoholic. He is in the news today with a health update he has kindly provided for us:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/14/3093271.htm

As for people talking about young or dangerous candidates bringing excitement, the most interested I remember DLsters being in candidates over the years were for George Melly (which included a reccy to his last ever gig and a respectful invasion of his fan forum) and Albert Hoffman (complete with some wonderfully illiterate guest postings....yes, I am a hypocrite), both over 80 at the time.

Age doesn't make someone exciting. Character does. And DL is usually quite good for picking a good variety of characters, and being quite educational too.

For all the talk of low numbers for this year, putting a bunch of 50 and lower year olds on for excitement isn't going to boost the numbers in the slightest. It's always going to be a mix of those with public ill health and those legends getting on in age.

Yes, I guess "character" was what I was getting at. Hard to measure objectively of course but some of the 80+ year olds on this year's list are not great characters. That is why I suggested limiting it to ten so you would just have "big names" and mix it up with some more youngsters who are living on the edge. If not, if it is purely about getting as many death hits as possible, you may as well just pick all 90 and 100 year old people likely to obtain a UK obit. Between retired politicians, the last remaining silent film actors, supercentenarians and few old scientists, economists and academic types, I am sure you could come up with 50 people over 90-odd quite easily. A safe list isn't a very exciting one, though.

Having been on the committee for most of the first 20 years all I can say is, to paraphrase Albert Finney and the Arctic Monkeys, whatever people think the list should be, that's what it's not. It's picked by semi-blottoed Sepp Blatters who couldn't give a fig about the (admittedly excellent) DDP-worthy suggestions people come up with, and that's its character and always will be, I'm afraid. So, expect more Niemeyer/Douglas (and, just maybe, Dunn) and less Superstar Billy Graham/Tom Lubbock and you won't be far wrong. I have a sneaky feeling the likes of Franklin, Hitchens and Baker won't be too far away, however - even the Burmese government occasionally listens to the people.

I think that's kinda the appeal about any list of celebrities you think are gonna cark it in the next 12 months: whether their list has, say, John Edrich or Bobby Heenan or Erich Priebke or Gene Colan or whoever kinda reveals something about their personal interests, it stamps some of their personality on it. A list just consisting of 15 modern day B-listers who are sometimes filmed coming drunk out of a nightclbu and 35 former world leaders over the age of 75 isn't really "interesting" on any actual level, it's just dead pooling by committee.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's the Deathlist.net committee's list. Not mine, not yours. The rest of us get to hang on and piss each other off, crack jokes and generally act like fools without any fallout.

Win, lose or draw, it's not your list 888-333. If you want something your way, go make your own.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's the Deathlist.net committee's list. Not mine, not yours. The rest of us get to hang on and piss each other off, crack jokes and generally act like fools without any fallout.

Win, lose or draw, it's not your list 888-333. If you want something your way, go make your own.

Make a shadow list. Doesn't count for anything, but it does give you bragging rights if you have more hits (assuming you play by deathlist 'rules').