Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

Not a Cardinal, but the Bishop of Derry has tendered his resignation to the Pope on health grounds. It is thought to be a dementia related illness, which is "irreversible and progressive".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-15616833

After a few quiet months, another cardinal elector, the American John Patrick Foley, has gone from leukaemia:

http://www2.fiu.edu/...dditions-11.htm

He was the "Grand Master Emeritus of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre", which is apparently a hangover title from the Crusades.

According to Wikipedia, he "was a teetotaller and self-described "chocoholic"", which obviously didn't do his health the slightest bit of good. Should have drunk some more communion wine, man!

There are now 109 cardinal electors left.

CITTA' DEL VATICANO - E' stato solo un leggero malore, senza conseguenze, quello accusato oggi dal cardinale Achille Silvestrini, che e' stato gia' dimesso dall'ospedale San Camillo ed e' tornato nella sua abitazione. Lo rendono noto fonti vicine al porporato.

CITTA' DEL VATICANO - E' stato solo un leggero malore, senza conseguenze, quello accusato oggi dal cardinale Achille Silvestrini, che e' stato gia' dimesso dall'ospedale San Camillo ed e' tornato nella sua abitazione. Lo rendono noto fonti vicine al porporato.

According to the magic of Babelfish, he is saying that this tosser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achille_Silvestrini

has been released from hospital (I think).

The Pope is appointing a new group of Mafioso cardinals on Feb 18. I analysed the list and, of the cardinal-electors (those under 80), only two showed any promise:

* Dutchman Wim Eijk (born 1953) suffered a subdural hematoma in 2001 (but has, according to Wikipedia, completely recovered.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Eijk

* the Italian, Giuseppe Betori (born 1947) survived an assassination attempt outside his Florentine office in November 2011, in which his secretary was shot and wounded. http://en.wikipedia....Giuseppe_Betori

Other than that, most commentators are noting the fact that Ratzinger is moving away from Pope John Paul the Second's strategy of appointing cardinals from all around the world. Instead, he is focusing on appointing Italians, most of whom are already members of the Curia (inner circle of Vatican poiticians).

* Dutchman Wim Eijk (born 1953) suffered a subdural hematoma in 2001 (but has, according to Wikipedia, completely recovered.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Eijk

members of the Curia (inner circle of Vatican poiticians).

His appointment didn't escape my attention. He seems in sturdy health.

Now that we're talking about archbishops (really bad bishops, innit?), his predecessor as Archbishop of Utrecht, Adrianus Cardinal Simonis is 80 and resigned a few years ago. He's in a spot of bother in the last year, now that formal investigations in child abuse in the Dutch RC church point to his covering up a few sins by Dutch priests. He's on final, though he may have some mileage left.

The big question is: will he get a UK obit?

regards,

Hein

The archdiocese of San Juan, Puerto Rico, asked the faithful to pray for the health of Cardinal Luis Aponte Martínez, archbishop emeritus of San Juan, yesterday during Sunday masses. The cardinal is in delicate condition in a local hospital. Promoted to the cardinalate in 1973, he is the second most senior member of the College of Cardinals after Cardinal Eugênio de Araújo Sales, promoted in 1969, who is currently the cardinal protoprete.

Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua, aged 88 and suffering from cancer and memory problems, is too ill to take to the stand and testify to an inquiry in to a church sex scandal.

Philadelphia Peadophilia and Bevilacqua's Dementia

Cardinal Bevilacqua has died. Guess he was too ill to testify.

Apparently, yesterday he was deemed "fit" to testify. Seems to have done him in. Still, a 3rd DDP hit of the year for me, which is a bit better than last year's start for moi.

Everytime I see this thread updated I get excited (poor choice of words perhaps) by the though it's about Faustino!

My DDP needs to get going...

Apparently, yesterday he was deemed "fit" to testify. Seems to have done him in. Still, a 3rd DDP hit of the year for me, which is a bit better than last year's start for moi.

darkhorse.jpg

Everytime I see this thread updated I get excited (poor choice of words perhaps) by the though it's about Faustino!

Faustino Sainz Munoz isn't a Cardinal, so you'd probably be better off looking out for the Clerics thread to rise to the top! I think a few people have picked him on the DDP this year, however I dropped him from the squad as: A) I'm too impatient and B )I discovered he was still well enough to preside over Mass in December (the story is a bit mangled by Google translate, I'm afraid).

Also, I was having obit concerns. Is he as newsworthy as we might think? The Times would have been most likely to give him a write-up and now that they are no longer considered a valid obit source due to their paywall, his chances of scoring points might have been severely impeded. I'd hazard a guess that The Scotsman would be his best chance, they seem to report Catholic goings on much more than their counterparts in England, possibly due to a wider proportion of their readership being of that persuasion.

He'll probably die tomorrow and get a double page Telegraph spectacular now I've written that. ;)

Faustino Sainz Munoz isn't a Cardinal, so you'd probably be better off looking out for the Clerics thread to rise to the top! I think a few people have picked him on the DDP this year, however I dropped him from the squad as: A) I'm too impatient and B )I discovered he was still well enough to preside over Mass in December (the story is a bit mangled by Google translate, I'm afraid).

Also, I was having obit concerns. Is he as newsworthy as we might think? The Times would have been most likely to give him a write-up and now that they are no longer considered a valid obit source due to their paywall, his chances of scoring points might have been severely impeded. I'd hazard a guess that The Scotsman would be his best chance, they seem to report Catholic goings on much more than their counterparts in England, possibly due to a wider proportion of their readership being of that persuasion.

He'll probably die tomorrow and get a double page Telegraph spectacular now I've written that. ;)

Aye, for some reason I had a feeling about a week in that I'd made a mistake, just going off news from a year before...

Looks like him, Lee Evans and Peter Macbeth are already write-offs for me, very poor start :flame2:

April 8

According to Dr. Robert Moynihan, in his Report Letter #8, April 8, 2012, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, one of the two cardinal deacons accompanying Pope Benedict XVI in the Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square, near-fainted during the celebration, had to remain seated for a while and had to leave before the end of the ceremony. Cardinal Tauran has been suffering from Parkinson's disease for several years.

[snip]

April 1

El Nuevo Día, newspaper from San Juan, Puerto Rico, informed that Cardinal Luis Aponte Martínez, archbishop emeritus of that city, who has been interned in the Hospital "Auxilio Mutuo" since February, is debilitating further. The cardinal's doctor, Ricardo Martínez Durán, said that last night his health relapsed and that he is not as alert as he had been. The cardinal has requested that no extraordinary means to extend his life be used.

http://www2.fiu.edu/~mirandas/additions-12.htm

April 8

According to Dr. Robert Moynihan, in his Report Letter #8, April 8, 2012, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, one of the two cardinal deacons accompanying Pope Benedict XVI in the Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square, near-fainted during the celebration, had to remain seated for a while and had to leave before the end of the ceremony. Cardinal Tauran has been suffering from Parkinson's disease for several years.

[snip]

April 1

El Nuevo Día, newspaper from San Juan, Puerto Rico, informed that Cardinal Luis Aponte Martínez, archbishop emeritus of that city, who has been interned in the Hospital "Auxilio Mutuo" since February, is debilitating further. The cardinal's doctor, Ricardo Martínez Durán, said that last night his health relapsed and that he is not as alert as he had been. The cardinal has requested that no extraordinary means to extend his life be used.

http://www2.fiu.edu/...dditions-12.htm

Martinez has died.

Guest Wax Beans

Is there a sin if I wish the current crop of Cardinals to all die suddenly and painfully?

The recent group of Princes of Darkness which were inducted was most alarmingly disgusting including that thing from New York who trotted up to the Pope like he was getting his ass branded with a large hot poker.

Is the Pope expected to die any time soon? I love when they get together to make a new Pope because of all that funny smoke which they use to let people know a vote failed or passed. I don't like the current Pope he looks really evil.

As a child I attended church religiously and even went inside Catholic places of worship. One time when I was with my friend who was Jewish I and he pretended to be Catholic so we could get commune crackers they were very dry so we had to get the water from those dishes they had just inside the door where people put their fingers and then they would dry them off on their shirt or coat. I never understood why they would wet their fingers and then dry them so fast.

Cardinal Rofoldo Quezada Toruno passed away on 4 June 2012.

The former archbishop of Rio de Janeiro, Eugênio Sales, has died aged 91.

A hit for The Cardinals should the right obit be forthcoming...

Francis Cardinal George, the Archbishop of Chicago :pop: , was diagnosed with an aggressive form of bladder cancer earlier this year. His wiki page states "He has a favorable prognosis for recovery, and is recuperating at his residence", but I'm not so sure.

He made an appearance at the Vatican last week and was described in this article as "ailing"

A mere six years later, it appears that Cardinal George's cancer has spread to his liver and kidneys. :skull:

Francis Cardinal George, the Archbishop of Chicago :pop: , was diagnosed with an aggressive form of bladder cancer earlier this year. His wiki page states "He has a favorable prognosis for recovery, and is recuperating at his residence", but I'm not so sure.

He made an appearance at the Vatican last week and was described in this article as "ailing"

A mere six years later, it appears that Cardinal George's cancer has spread to his liver and kidneys. :skull:

The really interesting bit of that article is that he is the first Bishop of Chicago to actualy make it to 75! Be checking on who gets the post next methinks, the city fair rattles through the bishops.

Edit for - well just had a look so scrub that, they seem to appoint them fairly young so they get a good 10-15 years outa them before they go to see their boss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_Chicago

La Prensa.com.ni from Managua, Nicaragua, reported that Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo, S.D.B., archbishop emeritus of Managua, is suffering from brain cancer and is presenting symptoms such as mental confusion, disorientation and intense headaches. He is currently staying in the residence "Villa Real", in Costa Rica, property of the president of the Nicaraguan Supreme Electoral Council (CSE), Mr. Roberto Rivas. The report also indicated that the first lady of Nicaragua, Rosario Murillo, is making the arrangements in case there is a fatal outcome.

La Prensa.com.ni from Managua, Nicaragua, reported that Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo, S.D.B., archbishop emeritus of Managua, is suffering from brain cancer and is presenting symptoms such as mental confusion, disorientation and intense headaches.

I would expect those symptoms to be present in all Roman Catholic priests.

regards,

Hein