Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

12 hours ago, msc said:

In off the record news that will interest only @Davey Jones' Locker (so the rest of you can ignore this post), was speaking to someone in the know about current Vatican politics yesterday. Apparently the gossip is that there's quite the battle going on between Francis/his friends, and the pro-Benedict Cardinals/etc, mostly picked by Benedict or JPII and basically a whole lot of arseholes. The former lot (Pope and pals) want to "throw Pell to the wolves", possibly for PR but mostly because it'd be politically very good for them. The pro-Benedict lot are completely the opposite. So if Pell goes back to Australia depends on who wins - Pope or his predecessor, essentially.

Thanks for the tip.  Vatican politics fascinates me. :D  Can you ask your contact about something else that interests me?  Last year, the Pope met with ostracised American priest John Dear.  John Dear lobbied the Pope to write a "peace" encyclilcal.  So far, there has been no further news.  Does he have any info on whether that is likely to eventuate?  Big thanks!

Sounds like Pell really is coming home, unless his heart problem plays up again.  On the news here the other night, a charity fund has been set up for Catholics to donate to help his legal fight!  The Catholics interviewed seemed very divided over whether they would give or not.  Seems a lot of laity think he is guilty...

Okay, back on topic, with regard to the death of Cardinal Meisner, I love how in the linked DW article he decried anything he didn't personally like as "Nazi"  yet was a very authoritarian figure himself!  

Once again, big thanks for telling me the info.  We will see what unfolds. The Pell hearing is due to start in the middle of this month.  Could go either way.  Some high profile bishops on the Anglican side were found guilty in the Royal Commission (Philip Newell and Jonathan Holland's father, Alfred Holland) but others like Archbishop Philip Aspinall, shockingly, have been let off in the end, in what I consider a whitewash.  On the Catholic side, a lot of people have been condemned but we are obviously in completely new territory with such a huge target as Pell being on criminal charges.  Hopefully justice will be served, whatever the outcome may be. 

14 hours ago, msc said:

In off the record news that will interest only @Davey Jones' Locker (so the rest of you can ignore this post), was speaking to someone in the know about current Vatican politics yesterday. Apparently the gossip is that there's quite the battle going on between Francis/his friends, and the pro-Benedict Cardinals/etc, mostly picked by Benedict or JPII and basically a whole lot of arseholes. The former lot (Pope and pals) want to "throw Pell to the wolves", possibly for PR but mostly because it'd be politically very good for them. The pro-Benedict lot are completely the opposite. So if Pell goes back to Australia depends on who wins - Pope or his predecessor, essentially.

Can't be long before Pope Benedict snuffs it .He's allready one of the longest lived Popes ever

On 05/07/2017 at 23:11, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Once again, big thanks for telling me the info.  We will see what unfolds. The Pell hearing is due to start in the middle of this month.  Could go either way.

Francis 1-0 Bennie, apparently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Francis 1-0 Bennie, apparently.

Yes, he's touched down in Aus.  I am expecting the news to be full of the media frenzy tonight. :P  The other day, a journalist bailed him up on his stopover in Singapore and all Pell had to say to his questions was "No comment" and it still made the headlines...

On 05/07/2017 at 23:11, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Thanks for the tip.  Vatican politics fascinates me. :D  Can you ask your contact about something else that interests me?  Last year, the Pope met with ostracised American priest John Dear.  John Dear lobbied the Pope to write a "peace" encyclilcal.  So far, there has been no further news.  Does he have any info on whether that is likely to eventuate?  Big thanks!

As a final update, I asked. They have no idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, msc said:

As a final update, I asked. They have no idea.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Meanwhile, Pell hires a top lawyer who defended one of the most notorious gangsters from Melbourne's drug turf wars:  http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/07/11/14/04/cardinal-pell-hires-rolls-royce-silk-and-art-of-war-aficionado-to-defend-alleged-sex-abuse-charges

Dionigi Tettamanzi, who I seem to remember being one of the rumoured candidates to take over when PJP2 carked it, dead at 83.

I think I have one of my 5 categories, should I win the Scavenger Hunt Deadpool after all...

• Like 1

Prayers for Cardinal Cormac

8017009958_00c2f4ac7c_o.jpg?thumb

Cardinal Vincent wrote to the Bishops of England and Wales and to all priests in our diocese to ask for prayers for Cardinal Cormac, whose health 'has taken a defining turn' and who is now in hospital.

Honouring Cardinal Cormac's wish to let the clergy and people know 'from his own hand', Cardinal Vincent said, 'It is my privilege to do so.'

Cardinal Vincent added: 'As you will know so clearly, for Cardinal Cormac these loving prayers are a source of great strength and comfort as he calmly ponders on all that lies ahead, all in God's good time.

'May the Lord strengthen him in faith and trust and may the prayers of the Church, which he loves so much, comfort and uphold him.'

http://rcdow.org.uk/cardinal/news/cardinal-vincent-asks-for-prayers-for-cardinal-cormac/

• Like 1

100px-Coat_of_arms_of_Paulo_Evaristo_Arn

English Roman Catholic cardinal, Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, passed away today at the age of 85.

21 hours ago, Mercarte said:

English Roman Catholic cardinal, Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, passed away today at the age of 85.

Didn't expect him to go this quickly. He was on my 2018 shadow list.

Italian Roman Catholic cardinal, Velasio De Paolis, passed away today at the age of 81.

French Roman Catholic cardinal, Bernard Panafieu, passed away yesterday at the age of 86.

Italian cardinal Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo has died aged 92 after a long illness.

6 minutes ago, Mercarte said:

Cardinal Bernard Francis Law, famous for scandals happened in Boston, is in his deathbed.

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.it/2017/12/a-quiet-departure-in-cardinal-laws-last.html

:) Bless you Mercarte.  I've been searching in vain for a sick enough religious leader for my DDP team, but Law will be a perfect candidate.  I hope he makes it to New Year's Day.

• Thanks 2

I wonder if it's more serious than the last time he was supposed to be seriously ill. But my feeling is that it is indeed.

I’m totally not mindlessly removing him from my deathrace team, honest. :biggrin:

• Like 1